Engineering CAD

rtheriaque

Rear Admiral
Folks,

Can any of the WC models be exported to something an engineering program (SolidWorks, Pro/E, Inventor, etc) would recognize? I'd love to get my hands on something I could play with myself in my spare time without starting from scratch. I can use step (.step), vector (.x_t), parasolid (.igs/.iges), or anything native (.sldprt, .prt, etc). Anything is appreciated...

This probably isn't terribly helpful, but from a cursory Wikipedia search, it seems like the forgat for .obj files is pretty straighforward (I assume they're ASCII?). .3ds files are binary and a little more complex, but nothing crazy...the fundamental way 3d objects are stored is the same...list a set of vertexes, list a set of connectivities to create faces from the vertexes, and maybe list some more complicated things to indicate colors, lighting, and texturemaps.

With a relatively rudimentary knowledge of a scripting language like Perl or Python, it shouldn't be that difficult to write a converter that goes from one format to another.

Back