Engine Differences

U

Unregistered

What are the differences between this game engine and the original WC game engine

im thinkin of downloading this

This is a fan mod that puts Wing Commander into the Freespace 2 engine ( a heavily modified FS2 engine at that). It's not a recreation of the old games the mod is its own story. I'm not sure why it would make a difference though unless you are wanting to do some modding of your own. As such the new hacks add some nifty new graphical features that make it potentially prettier than either the WC or FS2 engines from 10 years ago. (though the WCP engine is also being improved as well).

If you want a mod that is done within a WC game engine (Vision) then look at Standoff as it uses the WCP Vision engine. Like Saga it is also a stand alone mod (you don't need to own FS2 or WCP/SO to run it) you just have to download the relevant packages and fire it up.

Having fun killing kats!

If you want a mod that is done within a WC game engine (Vision) then look at Standoff as it uses the WCP Vision engine. Like Saga it is also a stand alone mod (you don't need to own FS2 or WCP/SO to run it) you just have to download the relevant packages and fire it up.

Having fun killing kats!

I thought you still had to download the secretops starter to install standoff?

I thought you still had to download the secretops starter to install standoff?
Yeah, you do. Probably Dundradal meant that you don't need to buy anything to play Standoff (since SO is free).

What are the differences between this game engine and the original WC game engine

There are, uh, a few differences. The basic gameplay in Freespace is different compared to WC games. The reason why it takes so long to finish Saga is the number of changes we have to implement into the code. An incomplete list of recent changes can be viewed here. :)

Oh, yeah, I just kinda misread the whole thread and got the impression you were saying Saga needed people to own FS2. :p

Back