• Rapier

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Longbow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thunderbolt

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess the only way you can dicern it is "wing" means the current element (what your mission is), while an actual wing, why the "Flight Wing" is what makes up the squadrons of the ships, probably between three and five squadrons.
It would make it alot easier if the games and fiction can actually nail down how many fighters per squadron. I can remember it being described as twelve fighters somewhere, and also as ten fighters as on the Victory in the WC3 novel.
I guess Confed might not have a standard size for squadrons per ship class.
Oh and another question, since it can be assumed that the WC2 fighters would still be seeing action during the WC3 era, would they serve on the ships like the Confederation class, or would they have been moved to Home Defense squadrons.

Twelve is Star Wars. WC varies per era - 16 in the pre and post war... but as few as ten during WC3.

The WC2 ships are, for the most part, as new as or newer than the WC3 ships... things like the Morningstar and Crossbow squadrons are probably on the front lines. It's the *Victory* that gets stuck with the crummy reserve fighters. :)

Bandit LOAF said:
It's the *Victory* that gets stuck with the crummy reserve fighters. :)

Well, but not the Princeston or the Vesuvius, and they also had Hellcats. :)

But I know what you mean. BTW, isn't the Thunderbolt the only WC3 ship to show up on WCSO? Very durable.

Delance said:
BTW, isn't the Thunderbolt the only WC3 ship to show up on WCSO? Very durable.

Nope, there's also some Excaliburs there from the Foehammer (Murphy class DD), in the Talos system.

Edfilho said:
That if the morningstar and the crossbow got mass produced...

They did - the Wing Commander Academy manual talks a bit about their service histories.

BTW, isn't the Thunderbolt the only WC3 ship to show up on WCSO? Very durable.

Thunderbolt and Excalibur - coincidentally, these are the two most modern (2668 and 2669, respectively) player ships in WC3.

Confed is crazy! They mass produced Mornigstars!!
damn, I've got WCAcademy bundled in a multimedia kit (remember those?) probably the manual was in a weird digital format.

Edfilho said:
Confed is crazy! They mass produced Mornigstars!!
damn, I've got WCAcademy bundled in a multimedia kit (remember those?) probably the manual was in a weird digital format.

There's a link to the Academy file in PDF format in the Files section, IIRC. The Morningstar is a 'state of the art capital-ship killer', according to the manual writer (who happened to be one of Maniac's wingmen).

Haesslich said:
The Morningstar is a 'state of the art capital-ship killer' . . .
I sure hope the gun loadout changed between the prototype and the 'captial ship killer' model, as it sat in WC2 and WCA, it only carries slightly more punch than the Hellcat :).

C-ya

Viper61 said:
I sure hope the gun loadout changed between the prototype and the 'captial ship killer' model, as it sat in WC2 and WCA, it only carries slightly more punch than the Hellcat :).

C-ya

No, the WCA model was the production Model - I think the writer of the blurb thought of the Morningstar's Mace Missile and thought 'capship killer'.

I'm so glad I never saw that piece of junk again after SO2. :D

Yuo told us to look at the poll to know about the morningstar. it isn't there. so why is it useful to check the result of the poll in relation to the morningstar?

Because the programming used to make polls in this forum wouldn't be able to handle listing all known Confed fighters and their variants. So just use whats listed.

I'm sure you can technically make a huge poll - the software probably just limits you from doing so to keep people from being stupid.

The morning star is a superfighter though.
The mace is a thermonuclear weapon right, if it is, why would it by more powerful than an anti-matter torpedo, that type is supposed to be the most destructive thing known isn't it

BlackJack2063 said:
The morning star is a superfighter though.
The mace is a thermonuclear weapon right, if it is, why would it by more powerful than an anti-matter torpedo, that type is supposed to be the most destructive thing known isn't it

Antimatter torps are rather clean, in terms of radiation, and you don't need a large amount of antimatter in the torpedo for it to work. Most of the space is going to the phase-shield bypass equipment, the containment system for the antimatter, and engines. :D

The problem with the nuke on the Morningstar is the 'splash damage', as it were - that and the fact that I don't feel very comfortable flying with an armed nuke strapped under my cockpit, just waiting to go off.

Back