Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion

T.K. Sax

Spaceman
Any one here playing/played this game? I have been playing it the last few weeks and it has a very privateer feeling to it as far as the game play.

I've been an Elder Scrolls fan for a while, and yeah, it has the same sort of sandbox feel as Privateer, but on another level. I actually just recently got a new computer so I could play Oblivion (and Wing Commander Saga). Great game.

Yea I spent a few weeks playing it about a year ago. Great game. Main quest gets a bit tiresome what with all those gates, but there's plenty of other things to do.

I really liked Morrowind, but Oblivion isn't as great IMHO. The only real improvement (apart from the visuals, but even this I find debatable) is that the NPCs have schedules instead of being completely motionless beings... but there were a number of changes for the worst.

It does have that same nice open ended feel as Privateer, but lately I've preferred more character/story oriented RPGs like KotOR. Privateer also had much more well developed characters than Oblivion, while being just as open ended. I guess that's always been one of those things Wing Commander games did better than the average game.

KotOR is a great game, I liked 1 better than 2, I wish they would make a third it is nice to get Star Wars games that are not tied to the "Current" universe, and nice to get the history.

I never played any Elder Scrolls games before this one I will have to see if I dig up Morrowind and play it.

I've payed all the games mentioned here, and I really can't see much of a connection between Priv and TES or KotOR. Other than the open ended aspect, they have pretty much no relation. I did think of something though- The more opened ended a game world is, the more linear the story. KotOR was basically set in stone as far as exploration went, but the characters and story were the most fluid I've ever played, whereas Oblivion had the most open world, but the plot had no alternate paths. Are there any games that you can think of that don't follow this trend?

I played Oblivion a ton when it came out. Now that I've done everything you can possibly do in that game, I don't play it anymore. Overall, I did enjoy Morrowind more. I also think Oblivion is hardly an RPG.

I liked Oblivion, but I agree with Eder that Morrowind was better in many things.
And yes, KotoR was great, too!

I like Oblivion a lot, and the combat is definitely better than Morrowind's (which in turn has better story, quests, more interesting scenery etc).

The expansion pack and DLC packs improve the game a lot, though, and mods (for the PC version) make a whole world of a difference. With mods you can improve the interface a LOT, and fix the crummy leveling system, not to mention add quests, locations, items, NPCs, and so on.

KotOR is a great game, I liked 1 better than 2, I wish they would make a third it is nice to get Star Wars games that are not tied to the "Current" universe, and nice to get the history.

You should try Mass Effect on the 360. Amazing game by the guys who did Kotr1. It's probably my favorite game on the 360 yet.

You should try Mass Effect on the 360. Amazing game by the guys who did Kotr1. It's probably my favorite game on the 360 yet.
Mass Effect actually made it worth customizing a character cause you could see and hear your person talk during cinematics. In Oblivion, if you wanna look at your character, either you go to the menu part, or move the mobile camera around which isn't much fun.

I tried playing Elder Scrolls III, gave up, and I'm not going to play something Elder Scrolls IV. I'll leave that to my roommate, who loved playing through IV. I'm more of a Fable and Mass Effect kind of person; I find those RPGs to be easier for me to keep my interest.

Back