Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Discussion Thread

...Gods no... Doom 3 was entirely too creepy for me. I don't care if that does make me a wuss, but I just didn't enjoy it. The reason I like what I've done is that I've created forests that are naturally/believably threatening at night.

I'm actually glad to hear someone else say that. I know it's off topic, but Doom 3 scared me too. You never got a moment of relief from getting to the next level. Even in games like Oblivion, if you spent a long time in a creepy cave full of undead, you could get some relief by going to town afterwards and kickin' it. But in Doom 3, it was just from one level to the next. I understand that's what the creators of the game were going for, and that's one of the things my brother loved about it cause he's such a hardcore gamer. But I just ended up cheating just so I could smoke through that game.

To close out the Doom 3 offtopic bit of this chat... I never finished it. Even with the cheats it was just too creepy. And no more believable than vanilla Oblivion. Besides, I can't be bothered with creepy caves of undead. I'm the mother f'n Deer Hunter!

Beyond the first level i didn't think Doom 3 was scary at all... Monsters in the dark always made them self known thanks to glowing eyes, or flashy fireballs. If not they would moan and grunt, so it was simply a matter of lobbing grenades into any corner with scary noises originating from them. I also think hell was one of the most interesting levels i have seen for a long time.

System Shock 2, now that's a scary game!

I haven't played FEAR, I read a preview and it just sounded too stupid to be of interest.

Doom3's got NOTHING on SS2 and FEAR. I never got scared with imps hiding on closets. That game was pathetic. System Shock 2 is about 100x scarier.

Oblivion can get pretty creepy, too, especially those dungeons with ghosts and skeletons.

the Lifiting the Vale mission is also pretty awesome.

ss2 too easy? well, crank up the difficulty slider, then.

The atmosphere is creppy as hell, though, and the feeling of isolation is really strong.

ss2 is easy on the easy difficulty level.

it has an extremely creepy atmosphere. you feel isolated. This quote from the game proves my point...

"Why do you resist? You are one against the Infinate."

the logs you picked from the possed (I think I spelled that wrong) people were extremely freaky.

Expescialy the "Glory" one

Edfilho said:
ss2 too easy? well, crank up the difficulty slider, then.

The atmosphere is creppy as hell, though, and the feeling of isolation is really strong.
I was playing at the highest, but hey 10 yr. of playing every shooter you can see gets to you.:) And I don't mind being alone with bad guys so long as I have a weapon.

Lt.Death100 said:
I was playing at the highest, but hey 10 yr. of playing every shooter you can see gets to you.

I think most of the people in this thread have been playing shooters since you were (literally) in diapers.

SS2 can be pretty hard, depending on which class you choose. The Marine makes the game a hell lot easier than the Psi guy. but the overall low amounts of ammo coupled with infinite enemies can make it all very hard sometimes.

If you want a real challenge, pick the Psi-guy and NEVER level up weapon skills. Try to finish the game using only the psipowers...

The navy tech is pretty cool too, decent weapon skills and extra hacking. It is kinda the "normal" level of difficulty.

And SS2 is not "zombie jumping through the window like Resident Evil" scary.
It is "oh fuck, all the people I'm trying to meet are always dead, i'm infinitely far away from any kind of help, alone in a huge space ship, surounded by mutants, zombies and cyborgs that used to be my friends" scary.

Edfilho said:
SS2 can be pretty hard, depending on which class you choose. The Marine makes the game a hell lot easier than the Psi guy. but the overall low amounts of ammo coupled with infinite enemies can make it all very hard sometimes.
And SS2 is not "zombie jumping through the window like Resident Evil" scary.
It is "oh fuck, all the people I'm trying to meet are always dead, i'm infinitely far away from any kind of help, alone in a huge space ship, surounded by mutants, zombies and cyborgs that used to be my friends" scary.
I chose the marine and mostly used melee weapons except against tougher opponets. That doesn't scare me, all the people around me dying very violent deaths (with me watching) is what gets my adrenaline going.

Back