Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Discussion Thread

Dyret said:
BTW, What kind of bow where you using, Quarto? It's been a long time since I held a real bow, but I can't recall it as being too difficult, after the first day of practicing at least.:)
I don't think I've ever used anything more specific than a generic sports bow (...apart of course from the bent-stick-with-string variety that everybody used as kids :p)... and most likely you found it easier than me because you've got better coordination (I can say that even without knowing you - because just about anybody on the planet has better hand-to-eye coordination than I do :)). Nonetheless, I think you're fooling yourself - we're not talking about shooting at a static target twenty metres away, we're talking about trying to hit a moving target from a hundred metres or more. Basically, using a bow in combat is something neither of us have any experience with - and I think we can agree it would be a lot harder than your ordinary kind of target practice :p.

Man... Oblivion made me furious...

Dang furious...

My computer's last incarnation was a p4 2.65 ghz with 512 mb ram and a radeon 9550 video card. It died.

I had to replace the motherboard so I thought, let's move up a bit. Got myself an Asus socket 939 with onboard geforce 6100 and got them to put in another 512 ram. So of course now Oblivion doesn't even recognize the card. I was able to play a bit with all settings set to nil but I get crashes to desktop. looks like another 60-400 dollars (prolly on the 60 end... money is tight and I just spent 345 on it...).

All that said, what I played was pretty spectacular even at lowest possible res/display settings. That first dungeon was very effective as a tutorial. I'd comment on the archery, but I'm not really a ranged combat player... I played for probably four or so hours and don't recall ever firing my bow...

(Btw, LOAF or whoever brought me back, if you're watching, thanks.)

And this is good, because...? Dunno if you've ever held a real bow in your hands, but I can assure you, it really is damned hard to hit something without a lot of practice. I liked bows in Morrowind because they were really rewarding - at first, you had trouble hitting anything, but eventually... cliff racers, beware!
Oh, I know, I have a bow myself. But in Morrowind, they just weren't very effective until higher levels.

meisdavidp said:
I had to replace the motherboard so I thought, let's move up a bit. Got myself an Asus socket 939 with onboard geforce 6100 and got them to put in another 512 ram. So of course now Oblivion doesn't even recognize the card. I was able to play a bit with all settings set to nil but I get crashes to desktop. looks like another 60-400 dollars (prolly on the 60 end... money is tight and I just spent 345 on it...).
Hehe, onboard graphics cards are really only good for spreadsheets.

(well, and for running three-year-old games)

One of the reasons I haven't kept up to date with computer gaming is the insane amount of money it costs to run pretty games.

meisdavidp said:
Man... Oblivion made me furious...
I had to replace the motherboard so I thought, let's move up a bit. Got myself an Asus socket 939 with onboard geforce 6100 and got them to put in another 512 ram. So of course now Oblivion doesn't even recognize the card.
Oblivion doesn't recognize the card? It doesn't need to, that's what DirectX is for. Have you still got your old graphics card in there? I'm not sure what you're saying.

Actually, if I could, I'd pop my radeon back in in a heartbeat, the problem is that it's agp and my comp no longer has an agp slot. Gonna get myself a $60 geforce 6200 next time I'm home, though. Don't care about it looking godly pretty. Just wanna play.

I started a new character just to fiddle around in that first dungeon (the only part that works for me). This looks to be the Elder Scrolls game that inspires me to use magic. The physics on the ranged magic seem(s?) dead on. Nothing more fun than sending them rats flying hadouken style.

Is it true though that you can ride horses in this game? If not I'm stuck playing Mount and Blade for horse battles.

Yeah, that's a problem here, new cards are almost twice the retail price on the US, it makes buying good cards a very expensive deal.

QuailPilot said:
Is it true though that you can ride horses in this game? If not I'm stuck playing Mount and Blade for horse battles.
From what I've heard (my Oblivion probably won't get here for another week :(), you can ride horses... but you can't fight on horses. So yeah, definitely not a good idea to uninstall Mount and Blade just yet.

Have you played the new version of M&B? You can actualy cruise in the citys and there are two castles you can attack\own.

Yes you can ride horses (and no you can't fight on them). A few free ones, which run slightly faster than you do. There are fast ones as well, but I believe they cost in the thousands and don't find them worth buying since you can warp everywhere now.

I was under the impression you could at least trample folks on the horses. Could be wrong, though.

Bloody people and their bloody video cards and bloody working copies of bloody games I want to bloody run. (Do we censor bloody on here?)

Stomp them into a bloody pulp, Mav!

meisdavidp said:
Bloody people and their bloody video cards and bloody working copies of bloody games I want to bloody run. (Do we censor bloody on here?)

Stomp them into a bloody pulp, Mav!
I was about to get a horse but I got caught stealing and murdering and I was forced to abandon everything I had during the escape..:(

The only problem I have with the game right now is that I keep accidentally stealing things because I play mostly in third person when not in a dungeon and I keep trying to talk to people but accidentally pick up their objects instead.

Mav23 said:
The only problem I have with the game right now is that I keep accidentally stealing things because I play mostly in third person when not in a dungeon and I keep trying to talk to people but accidentally pick up their objects instead.
One fix I can see for this (though probably not possible) is to add a crosshair in 3rd person.

Got the game running myself (without upgrading my graphics either, w00t!). I'm still getting over the wow of it all. I've entirely sidestepped the main quest with no intention of getting back to it any time soon. Really enjoying the changes to stealth and lockpicking. I hope something is done soon to make the horses more useful. Also been working my way through the Arena. I really love the feeling as you walk up the path to the gate. Feels a lot like living the movie Gladiator. Contemplating joining the Dark Brotherhood, but not sure I want my character to be a honorless murderer. I'm really missing the Morag Tong guild. I'm also quite proud of myself. I know for a fact that the same console TGM code is in Oblivion, but haven't cheated once... I ruined Morrowind that way. Perhaps this is a sign that Oblivion's leveling system is a success.

What kinds of characters are people playing? I don't have mine memorized so I'll need to copy it here later.

btw, Lt. Death100, I expect it probably is possibly. Might take considerable tweaking, but if the Oblivion's modding community is anything like Morrowind's was, it'll probably happen. Especially since the 3rd person mode is so much better than Morrowind's was. I do all my sword fighting in 3rd person now.

Back