Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Discussion Thread

Fatcat

Swabbie
Banned
I bought this game the day it came out (March 21). Oblivion has so far exceeded my expectations. The game is everything Bethesda promised and more. I'm interested to see what people think, since i've read some surprisingly negative speculation.

Some of it's notable gameplay improvements over Morrowind include:
-Bows are now actually a good weapon
-Magic is no longer a waste of time, with higher magika regeneration and lowered spell costs
-Spears, the most worthless weapons in Morrowind, are now gone
-Several skills have been combined (Long and Short Blade have become Blade) allowing your character to have a less narrow band of skills.
-Instant travel is free, and cities and dungeons are marked on your world map and can be traveled to instantly
-The geometry-based combat system now allows a fair amount of room for skill in fighting, not just your stats.

Fatcat said:
I bought this game the day it came out (March 21). Oblivion has so far exceeded my expectations. The game is everything Bethesda promised and more. I'm interested to see what people think, since i've read some surprisingly negative speculation.

-Magic is no longer a waste of time, with higher magika regeneration and lowered spell costs
-Several skills have been combined (Long and Short Blade have become Blade) allowing your character to have a less narrow band of skills.
-Instant travel is free, and cities and dungeons are marked on your world map and can be traveled to instantly
-The geometry-based combat system now allows a fair amount of room for skill in fighting, not just your stats.
There's also a more interesting storyline and the radiant AI.

What about character interaction? One of the things I hated most about Morrowind was that there was no character interaction at all.

d3r3k said:
What about character interaction? One of the things I hated most about Morrowind was that there was no character interaction at all.
NPCs are fully voiced now and the interaction is much better. This game is basically just Morrowind minus the mistakes.

QuailPilot said:
Bows were awesome in Morrowind. I kind of like the long and short blade as seperate skills.
1. Disagree, bows were crap. There was 2 things that made you miss, actually missing, and the game saying it's a miss.
2. Agreed, they have nowhere near the same style.

Well I think bows were awesome because my brother specilized in bows. I manly specilized in the di-katana:D

EDIT: Yah the long bladed swords took a little more skill in real life.

I haven't seen Oblivion yet (should be coming in the mail soon, I hope), so I can't say anything about it... but I sure would like to know what you mean when you say bows are actually a good weapon now. Bows were just fine in Morrowind - once you were skilled enough, you could down a cliff racer with two shots without the damn thing ever getting close enough to bother you. What could possibly be better than a long-range cliff racer killer?

Fatcat said:

None of those are what I'd call improvements.

Well, I'm getting a crash on startup.. which I suspect is due to drivers. :D Personally, I love the extras that came with the Collectors' Edition of the package: the Guide to the Empire, the Map, and the game with slipcover, along with the 'making of' DVD were nice bonuses.. and ones which remind me of the 'Good Old Days' when you could expect stuff like this more often than not.

It brought back memories of my old Ultima releases; the 'leatherette' bound manuals and lorebooks, maps, extra collectables like the 'moonstone' in VI, the Codex medallion in V, the ankh in IV, and so on.

I haven't seen Oblivion yet (should be coming in the mail soon, I hope), so I can't say anything about it... but I sure would like to know what you mean when you say bows are actually a good weapon now. Bows were just fine in Morrowind - once you were skilled enough, you could down a cliff racer with two shots without the damn thing ever getting close enough to bother you. What could possibly be better than a long-range cliff racer killer?
Now bows are much more accurate, so you don't need to be a high-level marksman to have a good hit/miss ratio.
None of those are what I'd call improvements.
What do you mean?

Fatcat said:
Now bows are much more accurate, so you don't need to be a high-level marksman to have a good hit/miss ratio.
And this is good, because...? Dunno if you've ever held a real bow in your hands, but I can assure you, it really is damned hard to hit something without a lot of practice. I liked bows in Morrowind because they were really rewarding - at first, you had trouble hitting anything, but eventually... cliff racers, beware!

Fatcat said:
What do you mean?

It seems to have been over-simplified to the bizarre. Except for the combat system, which has gone the other way. It's a RGP for gods sake.

BTW, What kind of bow where you using, Quarto? It's been a long time since I held a real bow, but I can't recall it as being too difficult, after the first day of practicing at least.:)

Dyret said:
It seems to have been over-simplified to the bizarre. Except for the combat system, which has gone the other way. It's a RGP for gods sake.

BTW, What kind of bow where you using, Quarto? It's been a long time since I held a real bow, but I can't recall it as being too difficult, after the first day of practicing at least.:)
It's RPG and I'm pretty sure he's talking about the type of bow that archers would use in the medieval ages.

A modern bow probably is much easier to use considering all kinds of new materials that can be used.

Back