Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Discussion Thread

meisdavidp said:
Someone should design new laser effects for Vision Engine and charge $2.00 for them. YEAH!
I really don't see the point of getting hung-up on this issue. It's not like they're charging $2 for a vital patch - merely for absolutely useless horse armour. I mean, it would be a different story if they were charging $2 for a patch that adds horseback combat to the game - then I'd be pretty furious, having already paid for the game. But horse armour... whatever, as far as I'm concerned they can charge $50 for horse armour, and it'll still make no difference to me.

meisdavidp said:
Someone should design new laser effects for Vision Engine and charge $2.00 for them. YEAH!

Damn kids today -- I would give *anything* to be able to pay Origin for small upgrades to a Wing Commander game.

Yeah, this whining about the horse is really freaking stupid.
they should all go die on a ditch.

Hmm... I just said that comment about Vision engine to be funny. Sorry if that came across as whining.

I think the problem with implementing horse combat would be keeping the game balanced (let's for the sake of argument say that it's balanced now, k?). Most of the game's opponents are not horsemen, meaning that were horse combat implemented, it would be like those old movies where the horse-back raiders would tear through the village swinging swords and (not in the game) decapitating people. Admittedly, this sounds quite awesome, but would make the game too easy and would quickly become boring. Zelda 64: The Ocarina of Time had horseback riding that incoporated archery. I have memories of going back to that game years later and hopping on the horse with my trusty bow and riding around shooting bomb mice and whatever else. That's the kind of thing that Oblivion needs, in my opinion.

meisdavidp said:
Hmm... I just said that comment about Vision engine to be funny. Sorry if that came across as whining.

I think the problem with implementing horse combat would be keeping the game balanced (let's for the sake of argument say that it's balanced now, k?). Most of the game's opponents are not horsemen, meaning that were horse combat implemented, it would be like those old movies where the horse-back raiders would tear through the village swinging swords and (not in the game) decapitating people. Admittedly, this sounds quite awesome, but would make the game too easy and would quickly become boring. Zelda 64: The Ocarina of Time had horseback riding that incoporated archery. I have memories of going back to that game years later and hopping on the horse with my trusty bow and riding around shooting bomb mice and whatever else. That's the kind of thing that Oblivion needs, in my opinion.

... in which case, they can charge you for that, and you'd probably happily buy it, since it's adding things to the game which didn't originally exist, but which you can live without.

Now i'm waiting for that patch they talked about, so I might be able to PLAY the game...

Meis,
sorry if was too harsh, then, I'm just kinda irritated with the uproar people made about the whole expansion thing.

Regarding horse combat, well, it has nothing to do with the above mentioned issue, but I'm sure it would be awesome.

Twilight Princess is supposed to have wicked horse combat, I can't wait till november.

Well, why not let the good old market take care of this? If you don't think the patch is worth the money, don't pay. For example, I don't play any MMPG so I don't go on complainig about the subscription fees. I must check out Oblivion. If I find out that I'm not willing to pay 2 USD for a patch, I won't. There's a product, there's a price, you either want it or not. The best way to voice your dislike is not buying it, which is much better than ranting about it on an internet forum.

I'm not one of those gamers who feels "violated" by Bethesda. Actually, I just found the whole thing hilarious. Not sure if everyone noticed this, but the first time I even mentioned the horse mod was after my initial statement.

Btw, Haesslich, which of the countless problems is afflicting you? I might be able to help you. My credentials: I made Oblivion run at roughly 50%-60% quality with a playable fps using an Onboard GeForce 6100 gpu (unrecognized by the game's autodetect) and a gig of ram (in other words, a GeForce 6100 shared memory 128mb gpu and about 8XX mb ram) without using a single INI tweak.

meis: As I said earlier in the thread, I have the dreaded 'Crash to Desktop Even Before the Game STarts' bug - it just crashes right away, with no error message.

Hmmm... Does that mean before the opening cutscenes or when you try to start the game, I've heard about some INI stuff that can turn off the opening cutscenes that might be worth trying, lemme go see if I can find those.

Btw, what are the specs of your comp?

I found those INI tweaks. (I'd reccomend having a look at this guide in general)

The file to edit is \My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini

The two lines you're looking for are:

"SMainMenuMovieIntro=Oblivion iv logo.bik"
and​
"SIntroSequence=bethesda softworks HD720p.bik,2k games.bik,game studios.bik,Oblivion Legal.bik"

I reccomend putting brackets around those lines and some indication that those are the default settings so you can restore those lines later if you need to. In any case, the edited lines should read "SMainMenuMovieIntro=" and "SIntroSequence="

Let me know how that works for you.

Um... Not really in charge of these boards, but this chat has been more about general discussion or tech problem stuff up til now. That said... are we talking about the mannequin's that are actually NPC's or something new?

meisdavidp said:
Um... Not really in charge of these boards, but this chat has been more about general discussion or tech problem stuff up til now. That said... are we talking about the mannequin's that are actually NPC's or something new?
There were mannequins for Morrowind (as mods) and they're basically just stuff to put your cool-looking crap on.:)

Yeh, I remember. I was commenting on the mod's I've seen for Oblivion that tend to be very simple npcs. And since they're npcs they walk around a bit. And since you can't paralyze them without them falling over... Unless someone has made more workable mannequins I've yet to be impressed by what's out there. I guess until some of the more annoying limitations of the construction set get fixed/worked around, we take what we can get.

Would this game even run on my system? I have an Athlon XP 2.0+, 512 DDR and a Geforce 6200.

Delance said:
Well, why not let the good old market take care of this? If you don't think the patch is worth the money, don't pay. For example, I don't play any MMPG so I don't go on complainig about the subscription fees. I must check out Oblivion. If I find out that I'm not willing to pay 2 USD for a patch, I won't. There's a product, there's a price, you either want it or not. The best way to voice your dislike is not buying it, which is much better than ranting about it on an internet forum.
I disagree. Even though they are claiming the first mod is selling well, the huge uproar over the $2 horse skin is actually causing them to release future mods that have more content for less money.

Mass uproar = cheaper mods + more content.

Delance said:
Would this game even run on my system? I have an Athlon XP 2.0+, 512 DDR and a Geforce 6200.

It's running decent on my Athlon XP 3200+ 1gb ddr system with Geforce 6100 onboard video stealing 128 mb ram. Not going to be the prettiest thing in the universe, but should run and possibly even be fairly stable. Mid-range systems seem to be having the least trouble with the game. It's the folks who toe the unacceptable line or leave the reccomended specs in the dust that are having the issues, it seems.

PeteyG said:
I disagree. Even though they are claiming the first mod is selling well, the huge uproar over the $2 horse skin is actually causing them to release future mods that have more content for less money.

Mass uproar = cheaper mods + more content.
If you're referring to the other two add-ons listed as "coming soon", they were announced at the same time as the horse armour mod, so certainly the uproar had no impact on their contents.

(also, I don't think you can really say the uproar was that huge... really, the fans complained about this about as much as they did about the lack of crossbows and half a million other issues, real or imaginary)

Back