"Ek'rah skabak erg Thrak'Kilrah maks Cheesy Balls" (January 26, 2016)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
LOAF recently uncovered a neat "alphabet" sheet for the Wing Commander Movie. It shows sixteen symbols of the type used in the alien scene translations. There are several very distinct Kilrathi writing styles observed from the dots and dashes in the SM2 Dralthi cockpit to the iconic Kiranka claw that debuted in Wing Commander 3. The Movie's text is a very interesting cursive alternative. And before you go out and get a tattoo with these characters, be sure to read the clarifying note to avoid massive embarrassment!

--
Original update published on January 26, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...I've got nothing better to do this morning (besides, you know, doing my actual paying job for once), so let's analyze this......

Beware of the dog = Hadyapa erg orbakan (ha + dyapa = be + aware, erg = of (explicit non-possessive), or + bak + an = animal + hunt + pack/group, (lit. "pack-hunting animal"))
Pass me the cheesy balls = Gathnai hukormagai'ak'nahoth (gath + nai = to give + me (first-person singular objective pronoun), hukormaga + -i + ' + ak'nah + oth = sphere + plural suffix + of (implicit possessive) + milk (lit. "drink of mother") + solid/hard

Hell of a lot of changes from one little dot - only thing I could guess at what it does is add another syllable or two to the sentence. Makes me glad I steered clear of the writing systems; those would've driven me even more bonkers than I clearly already am...

Hell of a lot of changes from one little dot - only thing I could guess at what it does is add another syllable or two to the sentence. Makes me glad I steered clear of the writing systems; those would've driven me even more bonkers than I clearly already am...
Heh. You can't very well expect that your efforts to elaborate on a fictional language far beyond the available data will match up with somebody else's efforts to elaborate on that same language seventeen years earlier :). Setting aside the fact that we're ultimately talking about someone's silly joke here, and you could simply ignore it - if you really want to address this properly, then what you should be doing, really, is adjusting your own efforts, so that "beware of the dog" does end up visibly and clearly similar to "pass me the cheesy balls". Remember, they had first dibs on the language.

Back