eBooks

Nomad Terror

Rear Admiral
It's been a little while from what I can tell that this has been talked about before, but certain recent events have made me wonder again.

Is there any glimmer of hope recently concerning the release of more Wing Commander novels as ebooks? I know the past few times it's been talked about, it's gone down to Baen being unable to do so. However, now I own a pdf and epub of Fleet Action, thanks to WC3 on GOG. Is this a sign of things to come? Can we hope that more novels in the future will receive ebook treatment?

Furthermore, with Pilgrim Truth and Fleet Action both available in epub format, has there been any obvious interest to re-re-release End Run as an epub?

Short answer... maybe. The "loophole" that allowed GOG to include Fleet Action in the Wing Commander III package is the fact that their license covered everything that was in the original box... and Fleet Action was included with the Premiere Edition of Wing Commander III.

We did have a conversation with Baen recently about the possibility of re-releasing the titles as ebooks. The problem is that they no longer own them--the rights reverted back to EA in 2000. The hope is they can work out a deal that would let them make the series available again and even do more Wing Commander books... but there's no contract in place at the moment (and EA is harder to work with for such things than they were in 1991... since the amount of profit involved in game licensing is SO much higher today.)

I briefly considered writing my own Wing Commander novel and getting GOG to bundle it with something. Alas, historical accuracy and general laziness won out over this convoluted, nonsensical plan.

and the cover features mark hamill wearing a bucket! That was a pretty talented cover artist right there ;)

Back