EA lost money!

Hey! Nobody be dissing Pong now, ya hear.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Ok some ridiculous points have been made, let me clear them up:-

Control method is a matter of taste, personally I preffer gamepads for most games (obviously not wing commander)
The World Is Not Enough is coming out on various systems but don't get them confused, one (PC) will use the Quake 3 engine and won't really be about stealth, the PS version will suck and the 64 version will be based on Goldeneye, maybe you preffer Quake 3 to goldeneye but the point is goldeneye suited Bond down to a T.
Actually IMO 800*600 on a TV looks better because it has a more natural feel to it.
Firstly the PS2 is overpriced, the dolphin is rumored at $100-150 and that is less than a quality graphics card.
Also it is cheaper (as long as you don't get a PS2) to get a new console every couple of years than to do a complete overhaul of your PC to the highest specs and consoles are always superior to the PC in their first year.

Really? You mean that the PS2 will have a gigahertz of processing speed? Half a gig of RAM?
I don't pretend to know anything about consoles, but it seems to me that they actually are always inferior to PCs. What makes them feel superior is that they were designed specifically for games, and nothing else. So, the architecture of the system will always be very, very efficient game-wise. It's like the Amiga, and other old computers. They too, generally seemed superior to the PC when you were playing games on them...

Quarto said:
Really? You mean that the PS2 will have a gigahertz of processing speed? Half a gig of RAM?
I don't pretend to know anything about consoles, but it seems to me that they actually are always inferior to PCs. What makes them feel superior is that they were designed specifically for games, and nothing else. So, the architecture of the system will always be very, very efficient game-wise. It's like the Amiga, and other old computers. They too, generally seemed superior to the PC when you were playing games on them...

Umm....

The PS2 is equipped with a 128-bit Emotion Engine RISC Core. Although it's "only" clocked at 300Mhz, It's not A.Slowed down by clutered legacy ISA(x86), B.Has FAR more bandwidth than your average PC system and C.Has a shorter pipeline, which allows it to process more ops per cycle.

If you really want to get nitpicky about clockspeeds, consider the Alpha 21264. Even at 667Mhz, the EV67 is the most powerful single CPU in the world.(Athlon, Willamette, Coppermine, any of them clocked higher still can't beat it in pure integer performance)

Why? because it's 64-bit, and RISC(that and it has an incredible amount of bandwidth for everything.....)

Clockspeeds really mean very little in performance. The Emotion Engine is frankly FAR superior architecturally to a PC, and actually the architecture hints at the direction PCs will/should be heading in soon....

Yes, BUT does it have a cup holder...?

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Sorry Rikaelus, but i really just don't think graphics should be a selling point, which is one of the reasons I'm so disenchanted with games now. No thought put into gameplay or plot-the key elements of a game.

Nonetheless, i never said that we play wing commander because it has bad graphics... my point there was that if we can STILL enjoy a game like that 10 years after it's release, it proves something- graphics shouldn't matter.

Next, like I said, FF7 was not made to push the PC graphics- at all! they just ported over the playstation version verbatum. It's nice if you paid that much... i paid for my comp, haven't upgraded it, and don't need to. It may not be the best, but I play what I want to play. I really don't care for Freespace. I really don't give a damn about graphics or the such. I play games to HAVE FUN, not to be treated with eye candy.

Wow... you missed the point of the systems being superior, then again, you missed the point of my entire post. I've seen the N64, and I've seen the original Nintendo, and guess what, You get more quality for your buck on that original nintendo, than with the lame games on the N64 (Which are mostly just reworks of game engines *cough*Banjo Kazooie*cough*)

Next, about patches... i was referring to the pure ridiculousness of another argument, which you took for my argument?!?! What's with that..

I was making a point about how stupid these things can get, that someone complained about this..

Patches are around for PC games because it's possible, wheras in a console, you have to deal with the bugs... reread my post slowly and tell me if you still think that was an argument of mine...

------------------
"Your job is not to die for your country, your job is to make some poor dumb bastard die for his!"- Patton

Hey don't knock the n64, it may not have many but it has the most classics of any system (just need some padding like its getting this year)

I'm not mocking the N64 (though i think it didn't deserve half of it's hype)

I hardly think it has too many classics all to itself when you think about it...

Zelda was good, er... Starfox was okay, but just a rip-off of the old Bucky O'Hare cartoons... okay, I'm brain dead right now, so I just can't think of many.

But that's not my point. My point was that there were times when no one cared how crummy the game looked, they cared how it played, how it felt, how involved you could get. The Final Fantasy Anthology Re-Release is a good example. Rent it and check out those games. Wow. Crummy graphics (except for the reworked FMVs) but great games. See my point?

Nonetheless, I should have said this before. This is all an opinion anyway. I'm a gameplay over graphics person, Rikaelus obviously isn't, I have no problem with that, I have a problem with him telling me that my opinion was wrong though....

Nonetheless, it's all a matter of taste

------------------
"Your job is not to die for your country, your job is to make some poor dumb bastard die for his!"- Patton

[This message has been edited by Tooner (edited May 16, 2000).]

Heh.. there's a whole new topic... who remembers Bucky O'Hare?

smile.gif

------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
By that argument the gameboy is better than the PSX (crummy graphics, great games, if you don't mind cute then Pokemon is better than FF, I've got 60 hrs on my pokemon time so far)
And some classics are
Mario
Starfox
Goldeneye
Banjo-Kazooie
Zelda
Donkey Kong 64

I used to have a longer list but these are the ones that stick me. but my total list of classics is those plus:-
Wing Commander
Residenet Evil

Tooner: Ribbet!

Mad Hatter: Bucky O'Hare was a green rabbit who was a starfighter against the evil Toads.

Pedro: "If you don't mind cute then Pokemon is better than FF" Blasfamy! (sp)

I never really thought that much of FF, neither of Pokemon for that matter, I just got hooked on Pokemon and not FF, either they included subliminal messages or the sheer difficulty of doing EVERYTHING is its greatest strength (its fun get friends addicted and involving them in your game with trading etc.)

Pedro: By your argument, I had said that the Playstation was better than the gameboy, which you'll note, I never said. That's an opinion, which i never bring up as fact. Or... at least I try NOT to...

------------------

Mad Hatter said:
Pardon my french, but WTF is Bucky O'Hare?

Heh. You sound like my sister. I spent an hour trying to get her to remember Bucky O'Hare. But...don't let my digression deter you. Continue...

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited May 17, 2000).]

Actually I started of wanting to contridict your argument but unfortunatley it was a good one, I may not agree about the PSX, but the GB has the largest slection of games of any system, and its the most profitable system, and the most portable etc, etc. Ohwell I'll admit it, you make a good point, but people will always want better graphics, thats why the GB Advance is in the works.

Yeah Pedro, it's unfortunate, but true... that's why we have a market in danger nowadays. If the trend continues... i just don't know...

off topic.... Bucky!!! Captain Bucky O'Hare!!!
smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tooner (edited May 17, 2000).]

Hehe, Bucky
smile.gif
I must've been like six/eight years old when I last saw that.

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Ditto.
smile.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Back