Drunk Review is Surprisingly Coherent (March 17, 2019)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
It's been a good week for console ports! SNES Drunk has posted their review of Wing Commander for the Super Nintendo. There's a lot to like here, and the author enjoys the art style, background setting, branching missions and most aspects of the gameplay. They especially credit the contribution of the wingmen to the story as well as the impact of their permadeath. The complex controls come off as a low point, but the game has a hard task of condensing all the commands from the PC version into the small SNES dog bone. Overall this is a fair introduction to the game for retro connoisseurs - it's got over 24,000 views in less than a week, so hopefully a few of them are inspired to check the game out!

You must be DRUNK. I'm Shotglass. Welcome aboard the Claw.

--
Original update published on March 17, 2019

SNES Drunk has become one of my favs. I’m pretty sure he’s never drunk lol. Great that he covered the SNES port. That’s what started it all for me on a random rental at a buddies house. The immersion was second to none and I never stopped being a WC since then.

I'm happy that they seem to have found a lot of success. So many of these people make regular high quality podcasts or shows and get like 10 views a week. Obviously they're not doing it for the views and there's other ways of defining success, but it's still good to see people doing retro game stuff make it big.

I've been following him for a while ever since I've been getting back on my SNES. Even if I disagree with him, I can't help but value his input. He has recommended an awful lot of great games that weren't too expensive for my collection that would have gone completely unnoticed by me otherwise.

That’s exactly why I like his vids. I had no idea how many games on the SNES I have never heard of especially being that it is my favorite console ever lol. I like the fan localized RPG’s he covers too.

Back