Draymans

Sphynx

Commodore
Since I never played the original Privateer, this may be a very stupid question, and I'm sure you'll all let me know if it is. Glad to know I can trust you guys on that one ;)

I've been working on testing the beta of the remake, and I had the experience of trying to save a merchant Drayman from two pirate Draymans while flying my Tarsus equipped with two mass drivers and 22 (I think) dumbfire missiles. It was kind of funny, because two more pirate Draymans showed up in the middle of the fight. I succeeded in destroying one Drayman and heavily damaging the second before the others arrived and destoryed the Merchant Drayman, but then I started taking to much fire and had to run with it. Then, every time I flew around the system, these remaining three Draymans would try to ambush me, and I'd just have to dodge their fire and fly out of range (no afterburners, so it takes a while). I felt like telling them "Just give it up, guys!" It was a most tedious low speed chase that was really quite comical ("Drat, he got away.... for the ninth time! But, we'll get him next time. Start heading between that planet and the nearest mining base. We should get there in a few days.") But, you have to give them kudos for their persistence.

This did bring up a question. I remember in WC 2 that enemy transports really weren't that hard to destroy. Maybe it was different in Privateer. But, as I fought these Draymans, I let drained the shields with my mass driver and let loose full mass driver salvos time after time again, and I even expended all of my missiles (I think it was about 22 of them), and even then it took absolutely forever to take out a single Drayman.

Am I supposed to use torpedos instead? (by the way, how many proton torpedos would it take to take down a Drayman? Would that be a profitable exchange: the bounty for a pirate Drayman versus the cost of the torpedos it takes to take it out?) Are they supposed to be this resistant to gunfire and regular missiles, and were they that way in Privateer? Could this be a bug in the game? Do the Draymans need to be rebalanced? Is this incentive to get out of my Tarsus and get a Centurion? Or am I just really bad? I mean, I took on 3 pirate Orions that jumped me and was actually surprised by how quickly I smoked them, so I don't think I'm just really bad (maybe I couldn't take LOAF on my best day, but I'm not a bad pilot... or at least I'm still clinging to that idea).

Feedback, ideas, explanations? Just how tough are those Draymans in the original Privateer?

basically stick to trading for a while, get some money and buy afterburners/better guns, draymans are pretty simple to take down with an upgraded tarsus.

If we gave draymans any less hull than we did, the campaign missions with sandoval would be impossible.

Generally pirate missions against draymans are rare... but they do occur from time to time---we should probably make a different version of the drayman for pirates that is less heavily armored

Thought it would be funny to answer the very first post on the board:
We decided to resolve this problem by giving normal merchant draymen the same hull as listed in the manual...and giving the draymen you defend more hull :)

this way you can have your cake and eat it too ;-) (where by eat I mean plunder)

Back