Dralthi - Drakhri, Salthi - Sartha, Jalthi - Jalkehi

Antman

Spaceman
All the ships from WCI ( Dralthi, Salthi, and Jalthi), Are just modifed and renamed. Whats up with that?
Dralthi - Drakhri, Salthi - Sartha, Jalthi - Jalkehi, Ralari - Ralatha, Fralthi - Fralthra ???????
And they reinstated the Dralthi and Fralthi (II) later???

[Edited by Antman on 02-22-2001 at 17:40]

Oh, and the Privateer Kilrathi models for Salthi and Dralthi are aso what was used in Super Wing Commander.

Have to admit, the designs are similar. Some very impressive performance on those ships. Perhaps they wanted to keep some sort of tradition in their craft design so that they held some value or something. It seems funny to see the same ship design but with a different name from WC-2 all the way thru WCP. I thought it was kind of nastalgic!

RFBurns

Originally posted by Earthworm
Um, they are completly different ships, not just modified.

Different they may be, but they all seem to have similar hull shapes and about the same sizes for the classes. If something works well, why get rid of it totally, just add to it and make it even more effective, then call it something else. From the Terran point of view they may or may not seem different, to the Kilrathi, they would be the only ones to know the real differences other than what we see in flight. In any case, they all are very impressive craft.

RFBurns

so they had similar names so what, my father is named mark, I am mike and my son is named mark like his grandfather, does that mean that I am really names mark?

Creations that can be mass produced are different than humans( unless you are a clone).Yo are using to very different things, thought the Salthi and Sartha are very similar!

They sound close to human ears. But then words like house and horse probably sound a lot alike to Kilrathi ears. It's their language, for all we know there's worlds of difference.

TC

Originally posted by Napoleon
so they had similar names so what, my father is named mark, I am mike and my son is named mark like his grandfather, does that mean that I am really names mark?

You are making no sense Nap... ;)
Ok, I'll stop or I'll be on someone's Black Book LOL

I was simply saying that just becuase the Drakhri sounds a little like a Dralthi and has one before and one after it, and they fufil the same base role does not make a Drakhri a Dralthi, or for my analagy, it does not make my name mark. BTW I don't have a son and my name is not mike or mark

Yeah I see our point, but take a look at the thread "Fralthi" for my answer to the topic (02-22-2001 22:54)...

[Edited by mpanty on 02-22-2001 at 23:07]

But mr. Panties you are completely wrong, yea they kept names for classes similar but is that anydifferent from Hell/Bear cat? Or the fact that the name "Banshee" is 2 totaly different ships from BW and from Confed

Hey, I don't know about the confederation, I'm just saying my theory works for Kilrathi ships between WC I and II.

And BTW, my name's mpanty, not Mr.Panties (singular please LOL)

If you take a close look at the Cat ship designs, there are certain design constants during the 2654-2665 period, but often it has nothing to do with the name of the class. Example, the Gratha and the Jalkehi are both long, thin heavy fighters. They are very different ships, however. Different engines, different wings, different weapons. The Salthi and the Sartha are both light fighters with forward swept wings. They have different fuselages, different weapon layouts, and different wing configurations. The Grikath and the Jalthi are both wide and thin, but with similar differences as between the Salthi and the Sartha.

See my point?

Why not think logically and say this is just what the game designers wanted to call them at that point in time, ie 1991. Whether or not they'd be making any more sequels was not guaranteed, so they just named the ships according to what they thought worked best.

But arguing in universe is more fun than saying 'the designers decided to make it that way' That's no challenge. We can always just ask them about a topic, that doesn't explain in universe reasoning (most of the time)

TC

Back