Drakhri completed!

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Here's the almost final version of the Rapier A (needs work on the engine intakes and on the nose's side) and the final version of the Drakhri. Feedback would be appreciated.

f44a.jpg

drakhri3.jpg

--Eder

The pug approves! ::Yip!::

However, I'm wondering about ship damage. Not ever Rapier returns squeaky clean and new.

Indeed, the Drakhri doth please us, as doth the Rapier. And LeHah, if that's your definition of squeaky clean, I hope you never end up working as a janitor :).

Originally posted by LeHah
The pug approves! ::Yip!::

However, I'm wondering about ship damage. Not ever Rapier returns squeaky clean and new.

Hey--another "grief title" and graphic--welcome to the club, LeHah! (LOL!)

Originally posted by Eder
Here's the almost final version of the Rapier A (needs work on the engine intakes and on the nose's side) and the final version of the Drakhri. Feedback would be appreciated.

--Eder

1) Me LIKE!.... (both of 'em)
2) Looks like you use TrueSpace--which version?
3) Where can I learn to mod like that w/ Truespace? Can U gimme some tips, dude?... Specifically, I'm having some prob's trying to model a wing design where the wing is curved (not flat) looking at the thing head-on, and also trying to figure out how to round its edges, preferably w/o having to make it a NURBS object w/ my TrueSpace 4... (Prob w/ NURBS is, it will make it difficult to use a texture map on it w/ any kind of reliability/uniformity in the results. Also, meshing it w/ the "paint polygon" feature would be difficult on a NURBS).
:)

Everyone: Thanks for the feedback, keep it up! :)

LeHah: I'm not sure what you mean... Is there anything clean and new about the Rapier? In fact, if you find anything clean and new in this whole mod, anything at all, tell me what it is and I'll fix it! :D

Preacher: Sorry to disappoint you, but I only use TS (version 3, BTW...) for the texturing. I do my modelling in Rhino3D, since TS isn't the ideal thing when it comes to low polygon modelling, IMHO... and I kind of suck at TS, anyhow. I make all my models triangle by triangle, placing vertex by vertex. Boolean operations, deformation tools, NURBS... that's all sheepdip. All a bruce can count on out there is 'imself and 'is triangles. :)

--Eder

I do my modelling in Rhino3D, since TS isn't the ideal thing when it comes to low polygon modelling
Heh, not ideal for low-polygon modelling? Sounds like it would be perfect for you ;).

BTW, there's one or two shots of your Bearcat and Ferret in the WCP engine over at the UE page. Thanks again, they're absolutely great :).

Originally posted by Quarto
Heh, not ideal for low-polygon modelling? Sounds like it would be perfect for you.

Hey, come on! :p When I used to edit XWA, everybody complained because my 200 faced models were great, but lacked detail... so when this mod comes out with all my 2000 faced models with 10 256x256 textures each, I don't want to see any of you bitching about how you get 0.5fps when playing Standoff! Get a decent 3D card for crying out loud... I know I need to :D

Originally posted by Quarto
BTW, there's one or two shots of your Bearcat and Ferret in the WCP engine over at the UE page. Thanks again, they're absolutely great.

Cool, I'm going over there right now to see how my babies are doing! I wish I knew how to add models to the WCP engine, I mean, it is such a great engine... but I guess I'm beyond help, I've even read the tutorial at wcmods.com, and still can't get it right. Ah, well, at least I can add my ships to Starlancer and fly them around whenever I'm bored... seeing them blow up and collide with each other is what gives me motivation to finish this mod :D

--Eder

Preacher: Sorry to disappoint you, but I only use TS (version 3, BTW...) for the texturing. I do my modelling in Rhino3D, since TS isn't the ideal thing when it comes to low polygon modelling, IMHO... and I kind of suck at TS, anyhow. I make all my models triangle by triangle, placing vertex by vertex. Boolean operations, deformation tools, NURBS... that's all sheepdip. All a bruce can count on out there is 'imself and 'is triangles. :)

--Eder

::sniffs loudly, followed by heavy sigh::
Bummer. I just got TS 4 two wks ago, and I'm only 'bout 1/4 way thru the manual. I was hoping you could gimme some tips & what not. Oh well...:(

Yeah, sorry, I haven't read more than 5 pages of my manual... I like to learn stuff by myself, even if it means learning "wrong" techniques. If the end result looks good, I become satisfied with my methods.

I learned to play guitar this way, and although I can play mostly all of the songs I've ever wanted to, people who took guitar classes always tell me I do weird stuff with my hands while I play... Same goes for modelling I guess: my stuff may look good, but any professional 3D artist would probably have a nervous breakdown if they actually sat beside me and watched me make a model :D

--Eder

Yeah, sorry, I haven't read more than 5 pages of my manual... I like to learn stuff by myself, even if it means learning "wrong" techniques. If the end result looks good, I become satisfied with my methods.

I learned to play guitar this way, and although I can play mostly all of the songs I've ever wanted to, people who took guitar classes always tell me I do weird stuff with my hands while I play... Same goes for modelling I guess: my stuff may look good, but any professional 3D artist would probably have a nervous breakdown if they actually sat beside me and watched me make a model :D

--Eder

Yeah, I'm kinda like that too, but then curiosity and/or frustration gets the better of me, and I start "RTFM"-ing. One good thing, though--at least you can help me with the texturing (when I get to it), since we both use TS for that.

BTW--as far as guitar goes, care you able to "play by ear", when you hear a new song you like, can you pick it up that way?...

Originally posted by Preacher
BTW--as far as guitar goes, care you able to "play by ear", when you hear a new song you like, can you pick it up that way?...

Yep, although sometimes it takes me hours to do that, depending on the song.

--Eder

Eder, could you teach me how to texture in Truespace. I'm using 4.2. I can model In TS but I suck at texturing, also, are you using any special plugins?

I don't use any plugins at all.
Say, do you need help making textures or applying them? Since you said "in TS 4.2" I assume you meant applying them, so here goes the applying textures tutorial :) But if you need help making textures just say so and I'll try to give you some hints... (I use Adobe Photoshop 4 for that)

Oh, and I only know how to texture using multiple texture files... so if you need a single texture, you're out of luck, I guess.

Anyway, what I do is glue the faces together according to the material they use (this is in the hierarchy tools of TS3). For example, all the faces that are part of the two winglets on top of the Rapier's engines are a in a single group, all the faces that are part of the two big cannons are a single group, and so forth... then I use the UV mapping tool on these groups... I always set it to planar, then rotate it around to suit my needs. In both the examples above, the texture is projected from the sides, so I go in front view and rotate the UV mapping box 90 degrees around the Y axis. Once the object has the correct UV mapping, I just choose the appropriate texture map and apply the paint object tool.

Whenever texture alignment changes, though, even if it is the same texture file, different groups must be made. For instance, both of the Rapier's wings use the same texture, but one of them has to be flipped... so the left wing is a separate group of faces than the right wing. For the left wing, I don't even need to rotate the UV mapping box, but for the right wing, I need to rotate it 180 degrees around the Y axis (using front view again).

Textures that are supposed to face back or front, like the engine glows, need to be rotated 90 degrees around the X axis in side view, but the rest of the process is always the same.

Once I have got all objects set to be mapped from the correct alignment (front/back, top/bottom, or left/right), and all textures have been applied using these coordinates, I just use the hierarchy tools again, glue all objects together, and that's it.

So, let me know if you need any more help.

--Eder

I don't use any plugins at all.
Say, do you need help making textures or applying them? Since...(yaddah, yaddah, yaddah, etc.)... So, let me know if you need any more help.

--Eder

I know you was replying to another guy, but this info is GREAT! Thx, Eder. Now, if I ever get around to *completing* a model, I'll know a good way to texture it.:cool:

Anytime, Preacher...
After all, we artists/game editors/wc fans in general gotta stick together :)

--Eder

Yeah, but you got that update first hand as a reward for actually bothering to read the Fan Projects forum :p

--Eder

It's not a bother, Eder.

The Drakhri looks great, but I'm still against the 'dirty' look on the Confed fighters. :) I honestly think it's overdone - perhaps if the dirt and scratches weren't so consistent across the fighter? I can understand that might make texturing harder, but IMHO, I think it may look better. But I won't make you re-retexture stuff you don't want to. :)

Back