Download Flight Commander Linux Now

vorfeed

Spaceman
This seems to be running for me, and looks great, but my USB joystick isn't working even though I can see it work using "cat /dev/js0". Flight commander says "Found joystick with 0 buttons" upon starting. Is there anything special I need to do to get the game working with a joystick?
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
vorfeed said:
This seems to be running for me, and looks great, but my USB joystick isn't working even though I can see it work using "cat /dev/js0". Flight commander says "Found joystick with 0 buttons" upon starting. Is there anything special I need to do to get the game working with a joystick?


Wow, my first Linux player, thanks. I'm using glut's joystick library, which isn't particularly great. Let me double check, but did you try having the joystick plugged in before you booted?
 

vorfeed

Spaceman
Yes, the joystick was plugged in when I booted. I get the following message on bootup:

input: USB HID v1.10 Joystick [THRUSTMASTER Top Gun Fox 2 Pro ] on usb2:3.0

It looks as if the joystick is showing up OK, and I can see it sending input when I cat the device. Maybe there's something else I need to do to get Glut to detect it?

By the way, is mouse support planned for this project? If I can't get the joystick to work, I probably won't have much fun with it, because playing with the keyboard is the worst. :D
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
vorfeed said:
Yes, the joystick was plugged in when I booted. I get the following message on bootup:

input: USB HID v1.10 Joystick [THRUSTMASTER Top Gun Fox 2 Pro ] on usb2:3.0

It looks as if the joystick is showing up OK, and I can see it sending input when I cat the device. Maybe there's something else I need to do to get Glut to detect it?

By the way, is mouse support planned for this project? If I can't get the joystick to work, I probably won't have much fun with it, because playing with the keyboard is the worst. :D

And I take it you were able to calibrate the joystick fine in kde control center or something similar?
 

vorfeed

Spaceman
I tried that new executable, but I don't see any difference. The joystick is still unresponsive, and I get the same "Found joystick with 0 buttons" message on startup.
 

MamiyaOtaru

Spaceman
Runs here, though I'm getting the same error with the joystick, which works just fine otherwise.
Found joystick with 0 buttons
Could not init sound, disabling sound and music
I'll look into it a bit more later (rather busy right now). It runs smooth though and looks good :) Very polished.
 

hellcatv

Swabbie
Banned
Awesome Eddie--I'll have to check this out--i'd been trying to get flightcommander working on wine for some time (I tried it in windows land a few times and ti worked great) to try it in linux would be great... though since I'm running debian stale, I'd imagine it would be a lot easier if you statically linked those libraries into your executable (that's what I've done for vegastrike and hence privateer remake) If you need information on how to do this, I'm your man.
anyhow I'll try to go ahead and compile libIL and see where it gets me.
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
hellcatv said:
Awesome Eddie--I'll have to check this out--i'd been trying to get flightcommander working on wine for some time (I tried it in windows land a few times and ti worked great) to try it in linux would be great... though since I'm running debian stale, I'd imagine it would be a lot easier if you statically linked those libraries into your executable (that's what I've done for vegastrike and hence privateer remake) If you need information on how to do this, I'm your man.
anyhow I'll try to go ahead and compile libIL and see where it gets me.

Thanks Daniel, for Linux inspiration with vegastrike. Let me know how it goes. Any recommendations on how to deal with the joystick issue? I'm pretty unhappy with glut's joystick detection and implementation on Linux. SDL is one possibility, but I don't want to be tied to an SDL event queue or threading model, I just want to poll the joystick state.
 

hellcatv

Swabbie
Banned
I don't own a joystick...however after a few decaminutes of hacking at your binary I was able to get things working on debian stable.
I had to setup gcc-3.3 as my default compiler and copy libpthread.so and ld-linux.so.2 and libc.so.6 and libc++.so.5 from a debian unstable (sarge) install of olde. Once I setup LD_PRELOAD to load the proper libs and hacked the flightcommander binary itself to load ld-lunix.so.2 instead of ld-linux.so.2 then it magically all worked :)

And now it's running perfectly on my box.
You should really consider releasing the source code under some nice open source license. It would be a lot easier to get it running--none of that binary hacking, just build with my gcc and link however I want (i.e. with the statically built libfmod--which was the other closed-source stickler in the group of libs you used)

Anyhow once it's running it plays great... I love the launch cutscene and the music choice--excellent!
I go into the blackness is icing on the cake man.

I really like the effect you have for the bolts--wish Vega Strike's looked quite as much like prophecy's as yours did...

The asteroids are an interesting effect--wish they were more challenging and suffered less from those objectionable z-far planes.

I like the fact that you included lighting from the bolts--though I suggest you attenuate it a bit-- Vega Strike makes no such attempt...

love that kilrathi planet you have there with the glowey lava---looks awesome--is that just a 2d sprite or is it 3dish?

anyhow I'll give you more comments when I enjoy it more.
I'll be honest and say I played it ages back on windows--but that was at work--there's nothing quite like being able to play it on your home system y'ken? :)

another question: what makes missiles tick--sometimes I get a lockon right away with imagerecs--sometimes it never seems to want to?
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
hellcatv said:
I don't own a joystick...however after a few decaminutes of hacking at your binary I was able to get things working on debian stable.
I had to setup gcc-3.3 as my default compiler and copy libpthread.so and ld-linux.so.2 and libc.so.6 and libc++.so.5 from a debian unstable (sarge) install of olde. Once I setup LD_PRELOAD to load the proper libs and hacked the flightcommander binary itself to load ld-lunix.so.2 instead of ld-linux.so.2 then it magically all worked :)

And now it's running perfectly on my box.
You should really consider releasing the source code under some nice open source license. It would be a lot easier to get it running--none of that binary hacking, just build with my gcc and link however I want (i.e. with the statically built libfmod--which was the other closed-source stickler in the group of libs you used)

Wish you would have brought this up sooner, there should be no need for the binary hacking. I'll put up the source code shortly (under my same licence though), and some basic build instructions, but it may require some makefile changes on the user's part. I'll post when it's up. If you have time, I'd like to see if this works for you. I was considering learning configure and writing a configure script, but the Linux response has been so tiny, I'm beginning to think my time would be better spent adding new features.
 
U

Unregistered

Guest
uh, please keep doing the Linux version... It looks awesome...
 
U

Unregistered

Guest
I've installed all dependencies, but it claims it couldn't find cursor.bmp although that file is just in the same directory as the flightcommander executable...

./flightcommander
Text to speech not available
Flight Commander 1.1 alpha
Graphics: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 6600 GT/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!
point parameters extension found
point sprites extension found
Shaders found
Generate mipmap found
Texture compression found
S3TC texture compression found
Anisotropic texture filtering found
Cube mapping found
Found joystick with 0 buttons
Sound driver:/dev/dsp
Sound driver: OSS
3d sound acceleration not found
Could not find file cursor.bmp


Any hints?
 

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Unregistered said:
I've installed all dependencies, but it claims it couldn't find cursor.bmp although that file is just in the same directory as the flightcommander executable...

./flightcommander
Text to speech not available
Flight Commander 1.1 alpha
Graphics: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 6600 GT/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!
point parameters extension found
point sprites extension found
Shaders found
Generate mipmap found
Texture compression found
S3TC texture compression found
Anisotropic texture filtering found
Cube mapping found
Found joystick with 0 buttons
Sound driver:/dev/dsp
Sound driver: OSS
3d sound acceleration not found
Could not find file cursor.bmp


Any hints?

Forgive me as I'm still a linux newbie myself.

Are you building from source or not? Did you check the file permissions?
I'm wondering if, when compiling openil, if bmps were enabled.

I don't really have enough information to know what to suggest. Maybe building from source?
 
Top