Does this sound reasonable...

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
...for my new rpg at Tenforward.slasims.com

Year:2695

Ratio Confed/BW Cap ships: 6/1
Ratio Confed/BW Fighters: 12/1

Rant on. (This comes from a week of people asking me about their WC RPGs - this post is just what broke the camels back.)

Please read this carefully, RPG runners, because it's important. The purpose of basing your RPG in someone elses universe is so that you have a pre-existing, universally accepted setting. Things like factions, time period, ship classes, etc. are the pre-set *backdrop* to the game - the job of the DM isn't to fiddle with them. Otherwise there is *no point* to setting your game in {variable Sci Fi universe}. "It's Wing Commander, but in a time period Wing Commander has never dealt with, with all new ships, and we made up a bunch of new factions!". What's the freaking point? Yes, fanfic and such are fun, and there's a certain dirty joy in reshaping universes... but it just doesn't make sense in the case of a Wing Commander RPG.

(Edited to add: I'm not saying there shouldn't be any creativity at all... but there are too many liberties taken with the makeup of the Wing Commander universe. If you need a whole new time period and new factions, make up your own universe.)

Rant off.

This is still the real uinverse and I haven'y added any factions. I've introduced the next era of Confed warships but they are realistic steps up from their predecessors.

Factions:
Confed
Border Worlds
Landriech
Grovsner
Firreka
Kilrathi Planetary Alliance
2nd Kilrathi Empire
Various small militias and pirate groups

Sylvester said:
This is still the real uinverse and I haven'y added any factions. I've introduced the next era of Confed warships but they are realistic steps up from their predecessors.

Factions:
Confed
Border Worlds
Landriech
Grovsner
Firreka
Kilrathi Planetary Alliance
2nd Kilrathi Empire
Various small militias and pirate groups

You're still making up things, especially when it comes to 'small militia and pirate groups'. The Union of Border Worlds is affiliated with the Landsreich, and they even seem to be part of the same political unit post-WC4, according to the Prophecy map. The Kilrathi Planetary Alliance is a body that does not exist in the WC universe to date - the closest we've seen is Melek's governing body, which was doing so in lieu of an Emperor, though there were enough dissenting warlords like Ragark or pirates like those who hit Valgard to suggest that any 'planetary alliance' talk is warmed leavings of a male bull.

By the by, where does Grovesnor come into things? And how do you get '2nd Kilrathi Empire' when there's no Emperor, at least not by the time of WCP?

This is like the Aces. It's not a compliment, by the way.

How do you know?

And LOAF, the Kilrathi resuface to fight Confed another time. Their are two factions, the Neutral Kilrathi (KPA) and the new Empire fighting Confed. None of my new ship designs are screwed up, they are slight just improvments over the old ones. I say Grovsner because they are on the Universe map, so I include them. This is 11 years post WCP. The Border Worlds don't share their government with the FRL. What would I use as a name for the new Kilrathi faction?

"Planetary Alliance" is probably referring to the Kilrathi Assembly of Clans.

The WCIV novel seems to indicate that the Border Worlds and the Landreich are separate (but allies).

The Grovsner Colonies are another frontier group mentioned in Fleet Action.

And LOAF, the Kilrathi resuface to fight Confed another time. Their are two factions, the Neutral Kilrathi (KPA) and the new Empire fighting Confed. None of my new ship designs are screwed up, they are slight just improvments over the old ones.

See, here's the thing - if you want to tell a story about humans fighting Kilrathi, there's thirty years of history in which to do it. You don't need to reinvent the wheel - it'll just turn off potential players (or confuse wide eyed new guys).

Sylvester said:
How do you know?

How do we know you're just making stuff up? The 2nd Kilrathi Empire, the Kilrathi Planetary Alliance, and the various small militia and pirate groups say so. There was Melek's trustee government, which accepted the Treaty and which was handling the Assembly of Clans, IIRC, while waiting for a new Emperor to be crowned.

Sylvester said:
And LOAF, the Kilrathi resuface to fight Confed another time. Their are two factions, the Neutral Kilrathi (KPA) and the new Empire fighting Confed. None of my new ship designs are screwed up, they are slight just improvments over the old ones. I say Grovsner because they are on the Universe map, so I include them. This is 11 years post WCP. The Border Worlds don't share their government with the FRL. What would I use as a name for the new Kilrathi faction?

Again, how is this NOT making stuff up? You're introducing new ship classes over ones which were brand-new at the time of WCP, and if you want Kilrathi fighting Confed, there's all of the Kilrathi War to do it in. What's the point, given that the Confederation could just steamroller over any Kilrathi forces that currently remain? The UBW and the Landreich are still affiliated, at least allies if not members of the same political body, as are the Grovesner and Firekkans.

At least the Aces say they've got an alternate universe.

The Kilrahti are being aided by a race known as the Nas'Goughl whih they recently met near Hari space. The Nas'Goughl use the Kilrathi as a puppet force to attack Confed, which they view as the only real threat in the area. They supply the Kilrathi with new ships. When Confederation forces prove to be more resialant then origanally thought, theNas'Goughl attack Confed directly with a massive force.

The ship designs are logical, they are in the right period to be replacements, Confed gets new ships every 10-15 years. Exeter(2640's)>(Gilgamesh(2650's)>Sheffield(late 2660's)>Murphy(Early 2680's) to my ship, the Gemini (2690's)

Another example:
Gettysburg(2640's)>Waterloo(2650's)>Tallahassee(Late 2660') to Plunkett (Early 2680's) to my ship, the Banbridge (2690's)

Yet one more for consistency
Concordia's(2630's)>Modern Bengals(2640's)>Jutlands(2650's)>Confederation's(Early 2660's)>Lexingtons(Late 2660's)>Vesuvius(2670's)>Midways(2680's)> to my new carrier Courageous (2690's)

Sylvester said:
The Kilrahti are being aided by a race known as the Nas'Goughl whih they recently met near Hari space. The Nas'Goughl use the Kilrathi as a puppet force to attack Confed, which they view as the only real threat in the area. They supply the Kilrathi with new ships. When Confederation forces prove to be more resialant then origanally thought, theNas'Goughl attack Confed directly with a massive force.

J.R.R. Tolkien is spinning in his grave as we speak, gathering a horde of undead horsemen to storm your house. Besides that, I think we've seen this movie before.

Sylvester said:
The ship designs are logical, they are in the right period to be replacements, Confed gets new ships every 10-15 years. Exeter(2640's)>(Gilgamesh(2650's)>Sheffield(late 2660's)>Murphy(Early 2680's) to my ship, the Gemini (2690's)

Another example:
Gettysburg(2640's)>Waterloo(2650's)>Tallahassee(Late 2660') to Plunkett (Early 2680's) to my ship, the Banbridge (2690's)

Yet one more for consistency
Concordia's(2630's)>Modern Bengals(2640's)>Jutlands(2650's)>Confederation's(Early 2660's)>Lexingtons(Late 2660's)>Vesuvius(2670's)>Midways(2680's)> to my new carrier Courageous (2690's)

Again, how is this NOT making stuff up? You keep failing to mention that..

Hari Space isn't the end of the world, their is still space out their, who knows what they could encounter. Its not like theirs just nothing their?

Grr, you don't understand. The issue isn't "that's impossible" (though "that's stupid" certainly comes to mind regarding your awful LOTR reference).

The point of my PSA was that this isn't what RPGs are supposed to do - create massive changes in their universes, whether they're possible or not. It's not a criticism of your way of thinking or the quality of your story (but again, 'Nas'Goughl'?)... it's just that people aren't going to want to play in Random Fans Weird Alternate Version of WC.

Okay, it is making stuff up, but its reasonable stuff. And I just remembered that that name is similar to the evil guys from LOTR. The new name is the R'saheavsu (Pronounced Rsh'hivsu). Also, what the heckam I supposed to do, have us fight pirates or evil mechants? The WC universe is running dry of new people, we need someone else to fight.

An RPG isn't supposed to be a grand continuation of the 'universal storyline' in your own image - it's where you tell your own little story within the boundries of the existing universe (or you create your own universe and convince people to come play in it). You can do it anywhere in the timeline - you don't have to set it after Prophecy (and here's a novel idea: it doesn't even have to be about fighting...).

We're not commenting on the quality or the possibility of your ideas - we're saying that no one wants to play "What if..." game 3,295.

Sylvester said:
Hari Space isn't the end of the world, their is still space out their, who knows what they could encounter. Its not like theirs just nothing their?

The area was pretty well explored before the war with the Confederation began - that's how they found the Hari in the first place, and I doubt they'd want ANYONE near their precious Hakaga-class carriers who might decide to destroy them before they could be completed. This means away from any known races, and any possible encounters would have to be watched for, which means that the Nazgul would've been detected ages ago.

Besides, there are only 9 Nazguls in existence. :D

Sylvester said:
Okay, it is making stuff up, but its reasonable stuff. And I just remembered that that name is similar to the evil guys from LOTR. The new name is the R'saheavsu (Pronounced Rsh'hivsu). Also, what the heckam I supposed to do, have us fight pirates or evil mechants? The WC universe is running dry of new people, we need someone else to fight.

Reasonable stuff? We've already had those powerful alien presences show up via the Nephilim, and the Steltek Probe incursion into Gemini in the 2660's. If you wanted continual alien conflict, try the Nephilim - they're nicely dangerous, and they can make wormholes from wherever. Otherwise, if you're wanting another misunderstanding with an alien race, try the Mantu.

The R's are unnecessary, and frankly... this is just sounding more and more like a SRA-style crapfest rather than an Aces-style alternate universe.

Back