Does Star Citizen deserve its own board on SolSector.net Forums

Does Star Citizen deserve its own board on SolSector.net Forums

• Total voters
I'm not completely sure, but I voted yes.
I guess as soon as there are official, well-working Star Citizen forums people will go there (or to one of the two or three already existing SC fan pages) to get their info and talk to other SC players.

But I know some of us feel more at home here (I certainly do) and may want to talk about SC in this community, and I'd prefer to see all that talk in a separate sub-forum (parallel to Standoff, Saga and so on) so we can talk about Wing Commander in general.

I still hope Wing Commander and the WC community will survive Star Citizen and people will keep talking about WC and modding games to get more WC and stuff. So for me SC will stay somewhat offtopic in these forums.

btw: I wonder whether the CIC will continue to be a SC news page when the game is released. I fear that real WC news will become sparse because, you know, there will be a lot of news concerning SC...

I voted yes, though now I'm wondering if that was the right choice. Lemme play devil's advocate for a second here (a caveat in the hopes of not pissing off anybody): I'm wondering if Star Citizen deserves anything other than the General Chat and Off-Topic forums. Despite the fact that it is WC's spiritual successor, and it is being designed by Chris Roberts, it is a separate entity in its own right. It is not Wing Commander. The fact that it is a game made by CR is not enough to warrant a separate board here - otherwise, I have to ask where is the board for Bad Blood, Starlancer, Freelancer, etc (show me where those games have been discussed here...yep, in the General Chat and Off-Topic forums).

I suppose what I'm doing here is agreeing with Aginor's sentiments (whilst trying not to piss anybody off).

Thank goodness for this thread. I don't want to rattle any cages here, especially since our very own LOAF is part of the SC team - but it's been vexing me of late that the top three threads in the General Wing Commander chat have been about the new RSI project. I'd personally opt for shifting them all to off-topic zone, hence I voted 'other'. But that's just me.

I like being able to discuss Star Citizen here, as I would not have known about it without this site, and I feel fairly well tolerated by the Wing Commander community. Giving it it's own board would help keep discussion of Star Citizen subjects seperate from Wing Commander topics, and keep the topic flow well organized.

I have several topics I would love to discuss with the WingNut community, but it doesn't feel right posting them in a Wing Commander topic area. Contrasts and comparisons between Wing Commander and other games (like EVE, StarLancer, or Star Citizen) should still be welcome in the General WC Chat area, in my humble opinion.

I voted yes on the grounds that despite not being in the WC Universe, let us be honest. This game would be Wing Commander if it wasn't for certain licensing issues. And not too long ago, we had Solsector boards for Wing Commander mods for Macross and several other genres that weren't going to be WC games. I have no problem with assigning it a board, if only to not clog up the Wing Commander chat boards.

I'm still holding out hope (what with the huge number of Wing Commander nods), that the licencing rights might be solvable. I know Chris gets the WC movie rights in a few years - I wonder what that would mean in terms of using the licence for video games?
Who knows, EA might be open to the idea of selling them on... or they may be waiting to see if SC is a success so they can make use of the rights once more?

All excellent posts in this thread... I'm interested in what more people think.

I still hope Wing Commander and the WC community will survive Star Citizen and people will keep talking about WC and modding games to get more WC and stuff. So for me SC will stay somewhat offtopic in these forums.

btw: I wonder whether the CIC will continue to be a SC news page when the game is released. I fear that real WC news will become sparse because, you know, there will be a lot of news concerning SC...

Don't worry about that! Wing Commander or not, I see Star Citizen just having a positive effect for us. Our daily traffic has increased since SC was announced, and that spillover excitement will continue for the duration of SC's development. It's true we've devoted a lot of attention to Star Citizen around its major events such as it being announced and the crowdfunding drive ending, but we're still 100% committed to Wing Commander news, like you all are to being Wing Commander fans.

It takes a very very dedicated person to be a Wingnut in 2012 - more than a decade after what some might call the "golden years" of frequent major WC releases. You all will still be here doing Wing Commander stuff next year, right? And the buzz around Star Citizen will cause Wing Commander fans who may not have been regular CIC visitors to now be spending more of their time online thinking about space sims and occasionally coming here and engaging in Wing Commander stuff too (new GOG releases, WC fan projects, new WC games, etc).

we had Solsector boards for Wing Commander mods for Macross and several other genres that weren't going to be WC games.

Yeah, that was a weird one, but it had a Solsector forum because it had a Solsector website because it was originally going to be a Macross mod for WC Secret Ops.

I'm still holding out hope (what with the huge number of Wing Commander nods), that the licencing rights might be solvable. I know Chris gets the WC movie rights in a few years - I wonder what that would mean in terms of using the licence for video games?
Who knows, EA might be open to the idea of selling them on... or they may be waiting to see if SC is a success so they can make use of the rights once more?

We'll see. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated Star Citizen section.. it is our official spiritual successor, after all.

I'm not sure. I voted other simply because I think it's a topic that needs revisiting when the new SC forums go live.

Don't worry about that! Wing Commander or not, I see Star Citizen just having a positive effect for us. Our daily traffic has increased since SC was announced, and that spillover excitement will continue for the duration of SC's development. It's true we've devoted a lot of attention to Star Citizen around its major events such as it being announced and the crowdfunding drive ending, but we're still 100% committed to Wing Commander news, like you all are to being Wing Commander fans.

Chris hits the nail on the head. We are all committed to keeping the site focused on Wing Commander. SC has been getting front page love when big news has been breaking, but we're still Wingnuts first. And remember, we are always looking for leads for WC stories. So if you find something, be sure to submit it to news@wcnews.com. December should be a good month for WC too. GOG is going to release the WC expansion packs....yes, finally!

For the forum question, I think we should just wait a bit more and see how things pan out. :D

Well I think it deserves a forum of it's own on here. As has been stated, not only is it a successor in a way to the WC series, but it is turning out to be one fantastic game! And the NICEST thing to me about this game is that it is mostly privately funded, not a lot of stress coming from developers on Chris Roberts this time around! I can't wait to see how what I have already seen will improve. The video looks fantastic!

I think it deserves a home here.

Chris hits the nail on the head. We are all committed to keeping the site focused on Wing Commander. SC has been getting front page love when big news has been breaking, but we're still Wingnuts first. And remember, we are always looking for leads for WC stories. So if you find something, be sure to submit it to news@wcnews.com. December should be a good month for WC too. GOG is going to release the WC expansion packs....yes, finally!

For the forum question, I think we should just wait a bit more and see how things pan out. :D

Let's not all forget that SC IS the spiritual successor to Wing Commander, perhaps more appropriately a reboot of it. It's dead obvious that with the Bengal, Hornet, Kurosawa system, and more, it was meant to be so. Not 'in it's own way' (no disrespect, webe123)...it is. There are too many parallels to convince me otherwise.

Take a look at Bioshock and System Shock. Many gamers know that Bioshock is the spiritual successor of SS, but how many direct and blatant parallels are there versus that of SC? So...if you ask me, SC news is WC news.

Same could have been said for Starlancer/Freelancer, couldn't it?

Same could have been said for Starlancer/Freelancer, couldn't it?

Exactly, and I really hate to be a scrooge about it but I'm really struggling to 'accept' this new Universe...If it becomes Wing Commander, then awesome, but I'm not keen on the idea of the CIC being home to more than one universe - I've got an eye on the new project in case EA swoops in at last minute, and it becomes Wing Commander, I've even pledged. As time passes though, and the SC canon continues to contradict that of the Wing Commander story, the less I want it here.

But like I said, that's just me being a purist.

Also, surely the RSI project already has a home forum? Why does it need another here?

Also, surely the RSI project already has a home forum? Why does it need another here?

One reason - because I would like to have a place where I can discuss SC topics with long-term, hardcore WC fans and only them. SC forum will not allow that. And I also would like to avoid spamming the General WC Chat.
That's all.

Actually having EA step into the thing could possible cause me to drop out from SC. Wing Commander licence would be awesome, but EA as company much less so.

Yeah, the last time EA got anywhere near something awesome rampant baby-rape orgies ensued and the forgotten swamp-thing of Cjhheytdrhjja almost destroyed the universe. As much as I'd like to see space sims revived, I just couldn't support that.

Less EA as a company, more EA as the DRM monster it is. And yes, I won't support that even if it means missing out on SC or WC, but we are going off topic here

Back