Does Gemini Gold need PV remake for anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alch

Spaceman
Well, I'm pretty sure this question will make look like a bloody idiot.

I've downloaded both Privateer Remake and Gemini Gold (plus 1.01a patch) but still have installed none of them.

I'm about to install and play GG, but I'm not sure wether it has to be installed over a previous PR installation or the games have no relation at all.

Well I thought GG used PR's engine and it was considered an add-on for it. I liked original priv so much & I'll give it a try

GG is a fork off PR itself - at one point, some people decided they wanted a purist game, while others wanted a few new features. Guess who's who.

Both use the same engine, which is VegaStrike's engine (a completely separate game)... both are mods of VegaStrike, but distributed with all the required files (including VegaStrike's engine).

That means that if you install both, you'll have lots of duplicated stuff. Even the data (ships, textures, etc...) is mostly identical (save a few changes). So, although the only way to play both, installing both in separate locations isn't the most efficient approach.

klauss said:
GG is a fork off PR itself - at one point, some people decided they wanted a purist game, while others wanted a few new features. Guess who's who.
Hm... that's not as clear as it seemed when I wrote it.
Just in case: GG is the purist one, the one most closely resembling Privateer. I guess that's what LOAF menas: if you like privateer just as it was, and don't think it needs anything new, GG is for you.

I guess that's what LOAF menas: if you like privateer just as it was, and don't think it needs anything new, GG is for you.

I'm fully capable of saying what I mean.

If you're too stupid to figure out DOSBox but not so stupid that you're completely blind to people having raped Privateer for their own selfish reasons, Gemini Gold is the game for you.

Bandit LOAF said:
I didn't mean to imply you weren't.

Anyway, there are other reasons not to use DOSbox. For 1, it needs a supercomputer to run acceptably fast (like comparable to the original in a 486).

PS: You should check forum software... it's logging me out way too often. I can't leave a minute and I'm logged out.

PS2: I'm biting my tonge over that comment too... just so you can appreciate my self-control ;)

No, it doesn't need a supercomputer.
I ran DOSbox games in a Barton 2500 with 512 RAM and a 9600XT VGA

Eh?
What is your point?
DOSBox is bad because you can't use it in a 486?
Is bad because you need a supercomputer to run Priv 1 ''nice as the original in a 486''?
Barton 2500 with a 9600XT is a supercomputer?
Waht do you have in your home a Pentium 2 800Mhz?
Last time i installed VS it need a fairly decent PC to run it well, with some eyecandy
You don't need a better PC to run DOSBox than to run VS (GG-PR)

How i should compare my machine with your example? Hell, AFAIK that machine can't run Priv at all, it needs a VGA card!

A) No, it does not need a VGA card. It needs MCGA. Read your specs: VGA=640x480, Privateer only uses 320x200 (which is MCGA).
B) My point is that some people can run VS comfortably, but not DOSBox. I'm an example:
C) My computer is a P3 1Ghz. Not enough to run DOSBox comfortably (although almost comfortable, I've played the original in DOSBox quite a while), but enough to be more than comfortable in VS.
D) DOSBox is great... it just needs powerful computers, that's all.

A) Good, didn't knew that;tought that was VGA because it has more than 16 colors, 16 was EGA, 256 was VGA IIRC, so MCGA how many?
B,C)What VGA do you have?; i had a Duron 1.2 with a TNT2 and later 9200, had problems running VS, altough i barely ran it, it was with all the graphic settings in low or OFF, both machines (Duron and the Pentium 3 1Ghz are far below the ''low end'' specs to play games, even 3 or 4 years ago)
D)Well, i don't agree in this point, an AMD Barton chip with an ATI 9600XT o 9500 or NVidia's 5600-5700 aren't powerfull machines not in Europe or USA, nor Argentina (here as you should know that machine is Middle to Low end, depending of the VGA)

A) MCGA is 256 colors too, only limited to 320x200.
B,C) I started playing VS with a TNT2 as well, so I suspect something else being your problem. Perhaps drivers, I don't know. But VS ran perfectly fine on Medium detail. I even tried everything on full detail, and it ran quite well too (only some choppiness). Right now, I'm using a 64MB Radeon 9000, and all my choppiness is gone in VS (because of the extra video memory, and texture compression support). So... I'd blame something else than the computer for your problem, perhaps drivers.
D) I can see that standing for Europe or the USA, but not here. Yes, modern technology is available here, but most people just can't afford it. I consider myself in a pretty good financial state, and still I can't just say "Hey... VS is choppy... I'll go shopping for a new computer". A new mobo+processor alone is like two salaries for the lucky (and one must eat too), so it's not a light decision. Meaning: DOSBox's requirements aren't a given.

well i can run it ok on an athlon 2600 with 512mb of ram? card is a radeon 9250?
with 128mb graphics surely thats enough for any1

ya i had a pentium 2 with a 550 processor mann it was slow sloww that was b4 i got this compo sheesh get a custom system m8tey perhaps that will solve yer porbs

Bandit LOAF said:

If you're too stupid to figure out DOSBox but not so stupid that you're completely blind to people having raped Privateer for their own selfish reasons, Gemini Gold is the game for you.

Woah, I didn't think I would arouse such a bitter controversy only by making such a "simple" question.

BTW: I feel myself capable of setting up DOSBox, I'm just another WC fan willing to try new projects with *NO* knowledge about how this "mod creator gang wars" started, as most of those who navigate these pages are. The stupid must be elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back