does anyone other than me have Steam Half-Life 1(and mods) problems

meisdavidp

All your belief cannot absolve your sin.
This is probably not really the place for this, but I figured I'd try anyhow. A day ago, I downloaded the Half-Life Anthology (HL 1, Blue Shift, Opposing Force and Team Fortress) from Steam and started play half-life. Everything worked fine until I closed it to get some work done and then later went to play some more. Now it goes to the spash screen and then crashes to desktop as soon as I move the mouse, no error no nothing. I've sent tech support a request for assistance, but am not expecting much seeing as it's a legacy game and it's like I could get a refund regardless. Was hoping I might find someone on here who's dealt with this before. Thanks in advance.

-Dave

Try shutting down steam completely and restart it and HL1. If that doesn do it completely restart your whole system. Sometimes I get problems like this when connecting to Countestrike: source servers but restarting steam seems to fix things usually. I can't suggest anything else at the moment. I dont have all the HL1 stuff installed (I have Halflife1: source).

As it turned out, backing up all the downloaded (legally bought from STEAM in case anyone was thinking I meant anything else) and then reinstalling Steam itself did the trick. By the way, AD, do you notice anything different about HL1 Source other than the (albeit ooh so shiny) new particle effects and impact decals? Feels like kinda a rip off for 10 bucks but I haven't gotten far into it yet.

meisdavidp said:
As it turned out, backing up all the downloaded (legally bought from STEAM in case anyone was thinking I meant anything else) and then reinstalling Steam itself did the trick. By the way, AD, do you notice anything different about HL1 Source other than the (albeit ooh so shiny) new particle effects and impact decals? Feels like kinda a rip off for 10 bucks but I haven't gotten far into it yet.

That was the point. It's just the original game running in the new engine. That said, there's nothing stopping the fans from modding in new higher poly stuff. (in fact there is an effort under way)

I didn't have HL1 before so HL1:source isnt a rip off for me.

don't suppose you have a link to that high poly proj? that sounds like loads of fun

meisdavidp said:
don't suppose you have a link to that high poly proj? that sounds like loads of fun
http://www.blackmesasource.com/flash/
mr3_officecomplex2.jpg

The inset shows the original.

My experiance is that steam works perfect when backed up to dvd and erased from the HD, the DVD douced in petrol and set on fire.
Its the most annoying, sluggish system anything could have the misfortune of requiring let alone made exclusive to.
Alas, steam is a necesary evil :(

Aplha 1-1 said:
My experiance is that steam works perfect when backed up to dvd and erased from the HD, the DVD douced in petrol and set on fire.
Its the most annoying, sluggish system anything could have the misfortune of requiring let alone made exclusive to.
Alas, steam is a necesary evil :(

Sluggish? Only when you first load it. After it's running I've found nothing sluggish about it. Requiring an internet connection to install a game I bought a physical copy of pissed me off but once installed you never actually have to connect again if you don't want to (Unless you want multiplayer and then steam makes sense anyway. ican search for all my favorite servers without entering any actual game and see who's playing.) PLus as a content delivery mode It works great (most of the issues from lauch were dealt with ages ago) Installing updates and patches has never been easier. And that's probably the sluggishness you experienced. When you first turn it on it checks for updates.

Get over yourself.

Fair enough perhaps I wasn't clear.
It's sluggish in that it flatly refuses to use all the bandwidth i tell it too, conflicts with every virus scanner I've ever had, and yes to start with just installing and setting it up was like letting the entire wermacht stomp over all my settings.
As a delivery system too its horrible - Maybe over in the U.S. its ok. Here if somethings released on steam its the only way to get it for several months until the local games stores get shipments (heres looking at you, DODSource)
Other games (NWN springs to mind) use their own delivery system for mods and updates, but if its sluggish or just plain dont work then they provide a link to manually DL and install whatever you want. No such luck with steam.

Valve has succeded to force people to go their way or the highway which wouldn't be so bad if the system wasnt so flawed.
That or AD's just having more luck than me :rolleyes:

I think you're right, Alpha. Sounds like Steam hasn't worked out the kinks in their system outside the US. I hope things improve for ya.

Thanks for the link AD, looks awesome.

I play HL2 fine in brazil. Including HL2 Death Match... Which I got for free, because Steam rocks. I love steam. Steam is goodness incarnated in bytes.

Uhh... so yeah problem is solved... guess that is cue to cut loose! I harvest Steam... from my tea.

Wait... I thought you were saying that the high poly was a mod for HL: Source... baka... I don't have a comp that'll run HL2... a few months from now on the other hand... *maniacal laughter*

Back