Does anyone know how to degauze a TV?

If it's a new-ish TV, usually plugging and unplugging it work. Or some of them have real power buttons on the front (rather than "standby" - like Sonys) does a similar thing.

It sounds like a high whine/low bong when you plug them in that doesn't come from the speakers, but a small circuit activated on powerup. Most TVs have them these days, especially modern ones. You might have to repeat several times.

If you're feeling richer, Radio Shack still sells degaussing wands you plug in and wave it over the screen starting very close and increasing the screen-wand distance. (If you don't do it properly, you can make it worse). But try the built-in method first...

Most of my TVs stated in the manual to unplug them and wait for 30 mins before plugging it in again to de-gauss them.

How did the TV become mucked up in the first place? I've never had anything like that happen on our old or new TVs.

Either someone moves the TV around (Earth's magnetic field, though pathetically weak, does eventually magnetize bits of metal in the TV, especially since TVs tend to sit around in one orientation for years).

More commonly, someone decided it was fun to play with magnets near the TV, which can cause this happen quite badly.

Of course, it could because of speakers placed near the TV, which no amount of degaussing will fix since the screen under the influence of the magnet in the speaker.

My tv has been having severe problems since last winter. The picture will suddenly compress itself into a widescreen format . . . and it's not designed to do that. Or, it'll start doing that, then burst into static. Usually, turning it off and then on again, or sometimes actually hitting the tv, will fix that. . . for a while, at least.

I turned the tv on several days ago, and I heard a buzz and a pop . . the classic "something electrical just fucked up" sound. When the picture came up, it was green and purple. I think there was a static discharge that magnetized the metal screen inside. I don't think mine has an inbuilt degauss, but I'll check on that. I haven't tried unplugging it.

It's also possible that your TV is dying and it's time for a new one. This is usually seen as an even field of color. In which case it means something burned out. If the color is in splotches though, then deguassing will work. If it's evenly spread out, it's unlikely to work and it's your TV thta's the problem (the widescreen is a good hint of failure).

Back