Document Archive: Wing Commander I Documents (August 11, 2013)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Presenting the most exciting document we've recovered: the collected documentation generated during the production of Wing Commander I in 1989-1990. You'll find snippets of source code, design notes, internal memos, schedules and more that went into creating the greatest PC game of all time!

--
Original update published on August 11, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, development notes!

Page 9, Strike: Looks like they thought about having torpedoes in WC1, but didn't put it in till WC2.

Page 39: I can't remember what made them decide to change from Wingleader. Just to be sure? (Edit: They do some more title discussions on page 141.)

Page 45: Hooray for reviewing code on dot-matrix print-outs.

Page 56: Looks like the mission structure was initially planned to be much more ambitious, even though WC1's final mission tree is by far the most complex tree I've ever seen.

Page 66: Even animating simple 2D sprites is complex. It must have been quite tedious writing the commands for all the eye and mouth movements.

Page 98: I don't remember WC1 being so close to missing its release date (did it?). I think this is the first communication I've seen from Dallas. Well, my memory could be fading as well. Some of it seems pretty harsh, but I suppose it was necessary at the time.

Page 157: Wow, hand-written letters for internal communications! Cool insight into the rendering of the 'Drathi' too.

Page 175: I thought the sprite modelling was done in-house. It looks like this is a separate company?

Page 180: Aww, a post card!

Page 208: Is this the start of Super Wing Commander?

Page 232: We're listening, Warren! This looks like the start of ideas for Armada and Privateer.

Page 249: No! You can't burn us out! We want more Wing Commander!

Page 276/295: More Privateer beginnings.

Page 277: Japanime Commander! And Cartoon Commander pops up again.

Page 310: Some humorous anecdotes.

I have a feeling we might have seen parts of this released separately (eg The Fat Man's notes from page 118 and Alien Commander from page 215), but it's nice to see it all collected together.

Back