Do the old WC games hate SB16 Emulation?

Phoenix

Spaceman
For some reason WC1,WC2 and Privateer will lock up my PC if I load SB16 Emulation. I know it's the SBEmu because if I rem the command lines they'll work (without sound or a joystick though :( ) . So I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get these games to work using SB16 Emulation.

[Edited by Phoenix on 04-09-2001 at 01:30]

SB Emulation and DOS games

Hi there,

Emulation drivers and DOS games...hmmm..tricky. It depends on what card you're talking about. I have a SBLive and have to run emulation drivers to play DOS games. You have to however do one of two things:

1) When you're trying to get the game to run in a DOS window inside Windows, you might want to use the LPT Sharing choice in the emualtion driver. This let's the emulation run at IRQ7, IO220, DMA1/5, which is a very good choice for dos games (most will work here).

2) If you're in DOS itself, you might need to change the emulation driver's settings, run SB configure program in DOS itself (I think its called SBCONFIG) and forcefulle change these settings to the IRQs IOs and DMAs you want. You see, some older games didn't have a great tange to choose from here, and sometimes they just assume your SB16 card was set to IRQ 5, IO 220, DMA 1/5, and you coudn't change it in the game.

- I have succesfully run WC1 in Windows 95/98/98SE/WinME with emulation - inside Windows.

- I have sucessfully run WC2 in Windows 98/98SE with emulation - outside Windows.

hope this is helpful

Riaan

I'm using a SB PCI512 so I have to use SB16 Emu if I want to play dos games but it seems that a good amount of my dos games don't like it. I can't run Privateer through a window and it'll lock up in pure dos the second I start the game. WC2 does the same but I haven't tried it in a window yet so I'll give it a try. I really have no idea why the SB16 Emu won't work with these... it'll even lock up if I pick no sound in the game install menu :(

SB16 emulation is not always perfect; sometimes, the programmers miss an interface or introduce new bugs into the system. It all depends on how well-made the emulated drivers are. I know that the old Ensoniq (from before the Creative merger) SB emulation is mostly fine, though it does have a couple bugs that become apparent in Privateer. I haven't had a chance to work directly with the PCI stuff from Creative, so I can't speak for their adequacy.

Yep; I have that, too. It's great for the GS and XG sound banks, but its GM instruments (especially piano) aren't very good.

One thing that's bothered me about MIDI - I still haven't worked out what GS, XG, and GM stand for. Somehow I relate GS with Roland and XG with Yamaha, is that right?

Back