Do Kilrathi pur?

Unforgiven

Spaceman
I realise this is a stupid question, but I was wondering: Do Kilrathi pur when happy? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere, but I haven't read all the novels.
Anyone knows this?

Just because they call them 'cats' doesn't mean they have to resemble the cats we know in every way.

It's kinda like asking 'do cats here talk?' :)

Hey, I said it was a stupid question.
But they do seem descendant of felines and all Terran felines pur. Not that that means the Kilrathi should though.

And by the way, cats here do talk. I always have extended conversations with my cat. Not that I know what she's saying though, but I pretend to:
Cat: Miauw
Me: Is it really that bad?
Cat: Miauw
Me: You don't say!
<add in more nonsense here>

That can take very long, because for some reason my cat keeps 'talking' back when you respond to her. :)

Originally posted by Shooter
That's a nonsense question because Kilrathi are never happy.
Thrakhath seemed pretty happy when he conquers Earth in one of the failed scenes in WC3. But come to think of it, he didn't pur then either, what he did was more of a combination between growling and laughing.
So I guess they don't. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by akashra
And Leopards, Panthers, Lions and Tigers are?
Felines. And yes, all of those pur. It's a much 'heavier' sound than the common housecat makes, but it is purring.

The Kilrathi certainly aren't descendants of our Terran felines... no more than we're descendants of their Kilrathi boyangee thingamabobs. They just look like cats.

Which means they share at least some physiology with our felines. So it was POSSIBLE they could pur.
Alright, I began to say it was a stupid question, and now it is even more so.
Let's just end this thread okay?

IIRC, there are some points in the novels were they do something similar to purring... LOAF?

Originally posted by Unforgiven
Which means they share at least some physiology with our felines. So it was POSSIBLE they could pur.
Alright, I began to say it was a stupid question, and now it is even more so.
Let's just end this thread okay?

no it doesn't. For all you know they could have 2 hearts and 10 kidneys. Just knowing that outward appearance is similar means nothing

Originally posted by Napoleon

For all you know they could have 2 hearts and 10 kidneys.
But they don't... because I'm sure Confed scientists have had loads of time to dissect a Kilrathi and see its "inner beauty"... and we'd know if they had abberrations like that...

Human scientist #1: "Oh my god! Each of these cats has 2 hearts and 10 kidneys!"
Human scientist #2: "Have you ever noticed that they also talk and fly starfighters?" :rolleyes:

Pretty much unlike all the other cats I know, indeed. :)

--Eder

10 kidneys for a species like the Nephilim? Ok (provided they have kidneys)...
10 kidneys for a humanoid feline mammal species like the Kilrathi? I won't buy that!

But LOL, Eder! :D

I don't know... this is actually interesting...
From http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=Mammal

mam·mal (mml)
n. Any of various warm-blooded vertebrate animals of the class Mammalia, including humans, characterized by a covering of hair on the skin and, in the female, milk-producing mammary glands for nourishing the young.
This seems to apply to the Kilrathi.
From http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=Mammalia

Mammalia \Mam*ma"li*a\, n. pl. [NL., from L. mammalis. See Mammal.] (Zo["o]l.)
The highest class of Vertebrata.
The young are nourished for a time by milk, or an analogous fluid, secreted by the mammary glands of the mother.
Also seems to apply to the Kilrathi.
From http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=vertebrata

vertebrata \Ver`te*bra"ta\, n. pl. [NL.] (Zo["o]l.)
One of the grand divisions of the animal kingdom, comprising all animals that have a backbone composed of bony or cartilaginous vertebr[ae] (...)
Also seems to apply to the Kilrathi.
From http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=animal

an·i·mal (n-ml)
n. 1.A multicellular organism of the kingdom Animalia, differing from plants in certain typical characteristics such as capacity for locomotion, nonphotosynthetic metabolism, pronounced response to stimuli, restricted growth, and fixed bodily structure.
Again seems to apply to the Kilrathi.

These are not pointless definitions... I'm no expert on this, so I don't know if an alien species could be classified as an "animal" if the case applies, but IMHO it does here.
IMHO, the Kilrathi are animals, and more specifically mammals...

I think the question here isnt if Kilrathi purr but if bears sh*t in the woods. :D

Since I've been around since Wing I, I can say that Kilrathi DO purr. In the Armada book, a letter from a Kilrathi Captain to his "Lair-mate" says his "heart purrs" at the thought of returning home victorious. Actually, Armada helped a LOT to flesh out Kilrathi practices.

Back