Disney buys Lucasfilm, plans 'Star Wars VII' for 2015

Silent Hunter

Rear Admiral
No, I am not making this up. Dozens of news stories and officially confirmed by the House of Mouse.

I'm giving this a cautious welcome - they've done good things with Marvel's stuff.

I betcha they're going to do a reboot where Chewbacca is a woman and there are humanoid model protocol droids...

Disney and Star Wars? This is madness... why, next thing you know, they'll be doing a Star Wars Holiday Special!

Disney and Star Wars? This is madness... why, next thing you know, they'll be doing a Star Wars Holiday Special!

Sigh. Going to have to self-lobotomise again... at least for now I can ram pencils in my eyes.

There are many concerns about Disney buying LFL. I know that nobody can predict the future and that anything could happen after buying LFL but somehow, if I may use one of the most used quotations in Star Wars: I've got a bad feeling about this.

Yes, Duck Vader, Jar-Jar and the 7 ewoks...

First see how this turns out, the purchase of marvel divisions by Disney also only had minor changes to the mainstream(Thor can not be called a god anymore, and development of the uncensored violent direct-to-dvd animations stopped).

From some of what I've seen on ITN news (UK news company), George Lucas will still have creative control over the Star Wars franchise, so with luck Disney won't be able to rape the films that badly

Lucas rapes his own films, but he won't let anyone else do that. It's too bad you can't find the theatrical release anymore, except on VHS circulating around ebay.

Han, and only Han, shot. :)

Well cut me legs off and call me shorty, I stand corrected. It has been a LOOOOONG time since I was looking around for it, though. :D

Lucas sold Lucasfilm and its subsidiaries to Disney - however, they're using Lucas's story treatments for Episodes VII, VIII and IX via screenwriter Michael Arndt (who has been confirmed to be writing Episode VII)
Hehehe. I bet there's gonna be a lot of pissed off Star Wars fans out there when suddenly, all the post-Episode VI expanded universe novel stories are destroyed. Oh, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Oh yeah. Thank God I don't know those stories well, so I might even enjoy the movies. We'll see. :)

Yes, many Star Wars fans fear that this sequel trilogy will destroy the Expanded Universe. Even if the EU is this flawed, I also don't want it to be destroyed. Maybe a petition to request that Episode VII shouldn't destroy the EU might be appropiate.

Yes, many Star Wars fans fear that this sequel trilogy will destroy the Expanded Universe. Even if the EU is this flawed, I also don't want it to be destroyed. Maybe a petition to request that Episode VII shouldn't destroy the EU might be appropiate.
Not likely they will do that, while the fan are not the target audience, they are walking, talking, commercials, and their cosplay and nerdism has had the franchise never die in the first place. To piss of the fans completely is a mistake they will not make. They might even put in cool new stuff like Admiral Thrawn or Mara Jade killing JarJar in a brutal way :)

Not likely they will do that, while the fan are not the target audience, they are walking, talking, commercials, and their cosplay and nerdism has had the franchise never die in the first place. To piss of the fans completely is a mistake they will not make. They might even put in cool new stuff like Admiral Thrawn or Mara Jade killing JarJar in a brutal way :)
I think, if George Lucas learned a lesson from the prequel trilogy, it's that you can piss off the hardcore fans in all kinds of ways, and still create something incredibly, hugely popular. So yes - if they deem it necessary, they won't hesitate a moment to piss off the fans.

(and I'll be cheering them all the way - in my opinion the EU stuff gets really terribly, stinking awful the moment Episode VI ends in the timeline)

Back