Discovery Blasts Off Into History (April 20, 2013)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
You've probably already seen some gorgeous shots of the Space Shuttle Discovery cruising from Florida to Washington DC, but here's another collection that follows it all the way from Kennedy Space Center to its new home at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum. The NASM Udvar-Hazy Center has set up a special website packed with information about the orbiter's new home and how to visit. Lucky LOAF got to watch this one in person - did anyone else see it?

--
Original update published on April 20, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Discovery departing on top of the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft from the Shuttle Landing Facility at Kennedy Space Center. Here's one of the pictures I took that day.

discoveryontopofsca.jpg

I have a few more. I am traveling for work, so will post them as soon as I get back home. I am in New York for the week, so hopefully I'll be lucky enough to see Enterprise flying around the Hudson River.

Regards,

Vic.

Wow. I didn't look too closely at the pictures when this update was originally posted... the visual difference between the Discovery and the never-used Enterprise is something incredible. It really helps to understand what these things went through, and to explain how such tragedies as the Columbia's fatal re-entry could happen.

Back