Direct X compatibility...

Preacher

Swabbie
Banned
Hi, Y'all

I gotta question. Is Direct X generally backward compatible w/ earlier versions of itself?... Obviously, it "should" be, but we're talking Microsoft here :):breaks into wide 'mad scientist' grin, but refrains from suddenly blurting out 'Muhahahaha':: ), and I wanna know the real scoop. :rolleyes:

In the past, I've "upgraded" from a DX version to it's next iteration :): blurts out "Muhaha---shuttup":: ), only to experience problems, mainly with graphics. I generally like to run w/ the latest version of all s/w I have on my system, but I'm a bit hinky about doing so w/ DirectX, because of the past history I've had with it. :mad:

Can anyone help me out here w/ any insights/comments/disclaimers/tips/personal horror stories, etc.?...

1-7 are backwards compatible, and supposedly DX8 is too, but i have heard the contrary as well. of course, i have dx* and have not had a prob with it, so it is probably fine.

There are problems with DX 8. X Beyond the Frontier can't play with DX8. MS promise that DX 8.1 will fix these problems.

I was a beta tester for every DX since 7, and 8 shouldn't break anything, as all new 8 interfaces are implemented in a new dll. The dll's for 7 and below are unmodified. Well, maybe they are slightly tweaked.
I have never experienced problems with backward compatibility with DX, except for games using DX3 and lower, back from the days DX was crap.
But then again, I don't game that much. I'm in the Developer section of the DirectX beta, not the gaming enthusiast section, so backward compatibility with anything other than my own code is not that big an issue for me. Although I would report it when I find it of course.

Originally posted by Johnl12
There are problems with DX 8. X Beyond the Frontier can't play with DX8. MS promise that DX 8.1 will fix these problems.

i have that game. it works just fine.

Back