Direct Alias Wavefront model issues

Kevin Caccamo

Rear Admiral
Eddie Benowitz, I am having trouble importing an Alias Wavefront model directly from the Flight Commander directory. May I ask you what the requirements are for OBJ models to be directly compatible with Flight Commander?

And yes, the model I am trying to import is an OBJ format file.

Kevin Caccamo said:
Eddie Benowitz, I am having trouble importing an Alias Wavefront model directly from the Flight Commander directory. May I ask you what the requirements are for OBJ models to be directly compatible with Flight Commander?

And yes, the model I am trying to import is an OBJ format file.

What kind of problems are you having? For OBJ files, make sure the whole object is textured. If it is not, it will boot you out.

You must have both the .obj file and the .mtl file. Everything in the .mtl file must have a texture. Only triangles and quads are supported. Google around on the .obj file format if there's more interest. Look at the .obj files distributed with flight commander, yours should look similar. Images must be .bmp, .png, or .jpegs.

No n-gons. Basically, no polys in your shape should have more than 4 edges. This is a fairly common restriction in modern game engines - the reason is not that the game engines are incapable of rendering n-gons, but that there's a certain innacuracy in doing so. The way your n-gon edges are laid out in the 3d modeller will probably not transfer 1:1 to the engine.
Easiest way to do this is to just triangulate your entire mesh before export.

Huh? Either there's the extractor on the flight commander web site, or using .objs directly. That's it.

Back