Difference between the armor and hull?

RZetlin

Spaceman
For the ship there are two features that can be improved: the armor and the hull.

What is the difference between the armor and hull?

In the original game you could just purchase armor for the ship and that was it.

we allow players to have a little extra hull thickness--the original had it too but it was limited to like 5 or 10 units of damage and was largely invisible to the user...
but it's nigh well impossible without it

technically your hull is the superstructure of the ship. Armor is plating that goes over it. Thus your armor can fail before you have an actual hull breach. (but it's probably not far off.) That's being technical of course.

So, let me get this straight. Your ship has three-ply protection--first is your shields, then your armor, then your hull. If the hull is penetrated, then your ship is destroyed. Is that correct?

basically. Of course, in larger ships a hull breach may not cause destruction of the ship. (I'm talking about in reality, not in the game.) Like in Star Trek, you here them yelling about hull breaches all the time, but the ship usually isn't destroyed, just a couple of decks depending on the extent of the breach and it's location.

Also remember in the original privateer, you didn't usually start taking damage to ships systems until your armor was penetrated or close to it. Same thing with the Other WC games.

Just to point out, in Star Trek they had force fields to contain Hull breaches so that nothing too fatal happened.

Sometimes in privateer remake, you get ejected automatically just before your ship is destroyed.

Ijuin said:
So, let me get this straight. Your ship has three-ply protection--first is your shields, then your armor, then your hull. If the hull is penetrated, then your ship is destroyed. Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct.

Happy Camper said:
Just to point out, in Star Trek they had force fields to contain Hull breaches so that nothing too fatal happened.

Sometimes in privateer remake, you get ejected automatically just before your ship is destroyed.

Right, structural integrity fields. But a breach in a non essential area, is not necessarally fatal. The usual effect of a hull breach is explosive decompression. That's what causes the majority of the damage. Once pressure is equalized (eg the deck is flooded with vacuum.) most of the danger is averted. I think of the Ebon Hawke in the beginning of Knights of the old Republic 2. It had the major portion of the garage blown out of it, and it had no integrity field, yet it was safe enough for T3-M4 to travel through.

johnhawke said:
flooded with vacuum
Vacuum is the absence of matter, and you can't flood something with what is by defintion nothing at all. Semantics, though, I know what you meant; the term is '"evacuated", "equalized", or "depressurized".

JKeefe said:
Vacuum is the absence of matter, and you can't flood something with what is by defintion nothing at all. Semantics, though, I know what you meant; the term is '"evacuated", "equalized", or "depressurized".

actually, I thought about that when I wrote it, but I didn't think anyone would catch it. Good one... You get a gold star.

Back