Did Blair really die at the end of Prophecy?

Muz1234

Captain
Did he really die? Is that why there is no more Wing Commander prequels, because the main protagonist has gone?

FekLeyrTarg

Commodore
I think we can only speculate on Blair's fate.

There were planned sequels like "Privateer 3: Retribution" but these never came to be.

Pedro

Vice Admiral
The official line was "we don't know if he's dead". I think I may have sent an e-mail about it as a fanboy 14 year old.

I'd have to dig out star soldier, but I think it was written in such a way that stated Blair hadn't returned even years later so it seems likely he was dead.

Yeah I recall in star soldier that there were a few mentions of people who claim to have seen him after, but he was almost an Elvis type figure at that point. I assume he's dead but its unconfirmed

JasonRocZ

Vice Admiral
Mark Hamill not dead, Luke Skywalker....Physically? Spiritually? Force Ghost? Who knows....Star Wars can change anything and have it believable. Blair? For the sake of saving pretty much all of humanity, AGAIN! hmm I'd say he's dead, I mean how would he have survived? the wormhole went Capooyow! He went out like a champ tho. :cool:

Pedro

Vice Admiral
Mark Hamill not dead, Luke Skywalker....Physically? Spiritually? Force Ghost? Who knows....Star Wars can change anything and have it believable. Blair? For the sake of saving pretty much all of humanity, AGAIN! hmm I'd say he's dead, I mean how would he have survived? the wormhole went Capooyow! He went out like a champ tho. :cool:
Well the obvious way out would have been that the pod got sucked into the wormhole before it imploded; the ending to Prophecy certainly left that option open. He'd then have been a captive of the bugs; for a brief period its plausible that he'd survive that intact, but the length of time star solider talks about? Chances are even if he physically survived it wouldn't be Blair anymore.

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
The closest 'official' information we have is a sequence in the movie novel Pilgrim Truth where we flash forward and learn that he was believed dead but survived. The caveat is the book was never officially published so it's questionable whether or not that's "canon".

As for the intent in 1997, different people have said different things. It seems pretty clear there was no clear plan for Blair and more just the option that he could be revived if there were the possibility to do so in the future. (We like to think that stories like this are planned in advance but the reality is they are largely determined by things like Mark Hamill's interest/availability in returning to the character... things like the pod falling into the wormhole sort of underline that belief that there was a long term plan but we've learned that that wasn't intentional at all, it was a choice that happened to be made by the artist rendering the scene.)

Oceankhayne

Commodore
Given how EA has pretty much abandoned the IP, it is whatever we say it is until they revive it. :D (It'll be a horrible lootbox laden micro transaction live service mess though going by current EA releases)