Deleting Direct X 8

ozias

Spaceman
Hi Does anyone know how to delete DirectX8? My system keeps locking up on me with my old Privateer and P2 now that DX8 is on my system. I have DX7a on my Voodoo CD and it won't let me install due to DX8 being there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The specs on my system are as follows(just in case)
800Mhz Athlon T-Bird
K7T Pro Mobo
256 megs ram
3DFX VooDoo 5500 AGP
sound and joystick port are built into the Mobo.
Thanks, Ozias

You should be able to remove that from the "Add/Remove programs" in "My Computer". If it is not listed in that list of stuff to remove, chances are it did not install correctly, hence a big problem!! Check the add/remove programs window.

RFB

RF I've already looked there, and no luck....it's not there. I've tried to find it in the system registry to delete it but can't seem to locate it. I am hoping I can find a way to remove it short of formating and re-installing everything.

Must be Microsofts sneaky tricks again. Try checking Mikeysofts website and see if theres any info there. Or you might email or call Mickysoft to see if they can help! Good luck!

RFB

May I ask a question, both P and P2 run on dos, DirectX8 have nothing to in Dos mode?
So why do you have now problems?

I am not sure why I have problems now. My system never locked up until DX8 was installed. In P2, when I try to land at Hearm the system locks...everytime. I can goto any other place without a problem but not Hearm. I never had this problem before either, I could goto any place and the computer never locked up. So thats where my thinking comes in that DX8 is the problem. I see that MS has DX8a out now but I am not sure if I should install that one or not. Anyone having any luck with DX8a?

Not another version....man I am not going to know what to do!!! lol I am guessing I will probably have to format the old HD and get a clean start with DX7a.....I've never had any problems with that version.

Why is everyone always formatting their hard drive to reinstall Windows? What a waste of effort. I just nuke c:\windows and c:\program files and reinstall.

Kris I am guessing that your telling me by doing it that way I can re-install Win98 with my DX7a version, without losing all of my other programs. I've never thought of doing it that way. Will I run into any problems, such as MS Excel not working anymore?
Ozias

I install things like Office in Program Files, so I can't really say. It's worth a shot, but I don't think Office will still run properly. Give it a shot though. And in the future, install everything that'll run fine without being reinstalled outside \Program Files.

Kris Thanks for the helpful idea. I will try that out in a few minutes and see what happens. First I'll move my important stuff out of /program files and then remove it. Thanks again
Ozias

You can just delete the windows directory and keep Program files. But, office will come up with errors and other programs may need to be re-installed aswell because alot of program have DLL files in the Windows directory and they will now be missing.

DirectX cannot be removed, it was designed like that. You can only upgrade it, not remove it or downgrade it.

I managed to get rid of DirectX when it messed me up, but I had to reinstall my sound and video cards. I think I might have even had to start all over. It was a pain in the ass basically.

Viking THANK YOU!!!!!! That program that you linked worked out great for me....I am now back to DX7a. Thanks to everyone who helped me out.
Ozias

Hmm, I've had to reinstall Windows several times, but I've never had the extreme measure of reformatting the hard drive.

As for DX, I hate the whole integration thing - it's almost a gamble as to whether you should update or not.

It is a a gamble the only difference is it's not nessicarilly win or lose, it can be both. I updated to version 8 and I both won big and lost big.

winnings
-improved performance in various games.
-Wc: prophecy works now[it hadn't worked on my current computer until now]
-Wc:secret ops had and nasty frequent lock-up problems which seem to have practically disappeared.

Horrible loss- WcIV , movies stutter like crazy and the game crashes when a mission is loaded[not a cd thing, I tried it running on my harddrive as well as off the cd].

[Edited by Dekkar on 04-20-2001 at 23:35]

Ouch. I've tested it with WCP, and everything works fine, I just hope WC3/4 still work okay... then again, you can still play it in DOS, right?

I don't have many other power hungry games - how much does DX8 improve things?

Back