Definitely looking forward to the RSI project...

Wulf

Vice Admiral
It's been a long while since I posted in these forums, but after revisiting the CIC and seeing all that was going on with the time capsule releases, I had to share the excitement! I'm pretty sure it's been said already, but if you haven't registered on the RSI website, do so ASAP. I think a lot of good is in store for those of us that do (alpha/beta testing?!?).

I'm sorry to say that my excitement stretched as far as making myself believe that the Wing Commander universe was finally to be expanded, only to find alas that we're looking at yet another new Space-sim. With all due respect to the legend that is Chris Roberts, I still haven't played Freelancer, Starlancer, Tachyon Fringe or EV Nova, so the concept of a brand new title does little to excite me.

Without sounding like an ungrateful moron, I'm excited on behalf of those who like space sims other than Wing Commander - but as a rule, I do not.

I for one love Wing Commander because it is the story of the future that I have (in a totally bizarre way) decided to be true and will all take place in 600 years time. It is the futuristic space-travelling universe I chose to play in and know all about, the idea of a new one that conflicts with my favourite story but in a similar space setting does nothing for me at all.

I'm sorry to say that my excitement stretched as far as making myself believe that the Wing Commander universe was finally to be expanded, only to find alas that we're looking at yet another new Space-sim. With all due respect to the legend that is Chris Roberts, I still haven't played Freelancer, Starlancer, Tachyon Fringe or EV Nova, so the concept of a brand new title does little to excite me.

Without sounding like an ungrateful moron, I'm excited on behalf of those who like space sims other than Wing Commander - but as a rule, I do not.

I for one love Wing Commander because it is the story of the future that I have (in a totally bizarre way) decided to be true and will all take place in 600 years time. It is the futuristic space-travelling universe I chose to play in and know all about, the idea of a new one that conflicts with my favourite story but in a similar space setting does nothing for me at all.

Honestly, you didn't miss much. Although fun, everything 'cept EV Nova I've played through just didn't hold a candle to the WC story and environment.

The concept art of Roberts's new baby just pulled me in for some reason; it has that 'feel' to it that you're in a world bigger than yourself, rather than the world revolving around you. I can't help but get excited! I REALLY want this to be a Wing Commander-esque quality space sim that it's looking like thus far.

While I quite honestly think I'm fine it's the new project isn't WC (at least they won't get accused of fudging continuity and rebootitis) I think don't think it's entirely out of the question that this won't somehow morph into a WC project down the line. And even if it doesn't, it might be what's needed to spur EA into doing their own thing with the WC IP...

Given LOAF just sent out an e-mail on behalf of RSI I have a little more hope that it is a Wing Commander project. Obviously I'm certain he'd be happy to help out regardless but it's a positive indicator in my eyes :)

The concept art of Roberts's new baby just pulled me in for some reason; it has that 'feel' to it that you're in a world bigger than yourself, rather than the world revolving around you.
Wing Commander I-II (and Privateer as well) struck that nice balance where the player is important enough in the game universe to have a useful effect (e.g. determining whether a major enemy base falls) while avoiding the world revolving around you, but WC III-IV went a bit outside of that with making Blair the "Destroyer of Kilrah".

Back