Debris Mod for WCSD and WCS Plus Pack

Luke

Captain
Currently we test an unpublished mod from the WCS team called "Debris Mod". With this all capital ships (confed & kilrathi) explode as before but leaves wreckage pieces. Every ship have his own set of wreckage. Every wreckage rotates and fly away with different speed. The wreckage have mass so they can damage other ships. The fighter AI can do evasive actions to avoid collisions. Both sides affected by the Debris Mod, so this brings a bit more dynamic to a battle.

If all tests are positive, i will integrate it directly in WCSD and later in the WSC Plus Pack. Here is a short video so you can see the mod in action. We replaced the standard wreckage texture for the debris modells with a higher resolution texture. The first capship have disabled the debris mod for a better compare and all other capships have enabled the mod.

Screen with a destroyed confed capship.
screen0096.jpg

Last edited:
luke this is so cool the cap ships exploding was one of my favorite parts of saga and now with the debris flying around will only make it more awesome. I like the electric effect on the broken pieces. once youput it in to the english version of saga I might have to play this fantastic mod again

Yes, and it gives a plus to the atmosphere. If you see the wreckage from a destroyed Kilrathi capship after a hard fight this is like "yeah we got them!". And on the other side it is a bit oppressive if you see the wreckage from a confed caphsip: "damn, they are all dead...".

Very impressive, but I still have to ask the eternal question... ... multiplayer?

@Mace

1. I said this already: as far as i know the netcode is broken in the engine. And i have not enough knowhow (and no time) to fix it.
2. TDD and Prologue are single player campaigns. Our focus is on that campaigns. And my focus is to make all texts in the engine translatable we need, to fix bugs (i fixed some of them already), and to make some reasonable changes and additions.
3. There are no multiplayer missions for WCS and we have no time to make some.

Personally i would like to play coop missions against AI/environment in the WC universe, no question about it. :D. And btw, this type of multiplayer is the only one that's interesting for me. I am mainly a story player.

@Aginor

You can test it also with Sivar's Hand. I think it can be a good addtion for it. I made a ready-to-use VP (500 MB) for the Debris Mod, so it's easy to integrate.

Last edited:
Yeah, Multiplayer....
I remember that was a hot topic on our internal forums when I joined the Saga team in... dunno, 2005 or so.
In fact it was my main reason to join the team back then. My first work was on the menu screens for the MP part of the game.
Some time later we even had some short test sessions! Tolwyn had created a small death match map with a base in the middle (similar to Star Citizen's "Dying star"). You could only fly confed ships of course, and we tried a few things.
Unfortunately the MP was quite unstable. And that was before the fork. After the fork it wasn't working at all I think.
Nowadays the FSO code is a bit more stable I think, but since some pretty deep changes were done during the Saga fork (and that was necessary. Without the fork there would have been no Saga today) that broke MP completely.
That was a very sad day for me. I really wanted to fly coop missions in Wing Commander Saga. But I think Tolwyn made the right decision there.

EDIT: Dammit, I have to get back to SH asap. But work and my daughter don't make that easy. Perhaps I can finish the story during my vacation (just a few weeks to go)...

Yeah, Multiplayer....
I remember that was a hot topic on our internal forums when I joined the Saga team in... dunno, 2005 or so.
In fact it was my main reason to join the team back then. My first work was on the menu screens for the MP part of the game.
Some time later we even had some short test sessions! Tolwyn had created a small death match map with a base in the middle (similar to Star Citizen's "Dying star"). You could only fly confed ships of course, and we tried a few things.

Ah, thanks for this info update.

Unfortunately the MP was quite unstable. And that was before the fork. After the fork it wasn't working at all I think.
Nowadays the FSO code is a bit more stable I think, but since some pretty deep changes were done during the Saga fork (and that was necessary. Without the fork there would have been no Saga today) that broke MP completely.

That's what i know. And i removed all MP buttons from the GUI in WCSD and i will do this also in the Plus Pack. Features not working must not have any buttons. ^^

That was a very sad day for me. I really wanted to fly coop missions in Wing Commander Saga. But I think Tolwyn made the right decision there.

Definitely. The WCS team has needed a engine which is suitable for the Wing Commander universe and the TDD project and so the fork was the only correct decision. And this applies also for the WCSD team. For me it was a long and very hard way to make WCS+ but it was also necessary. ;) So we got the engine we need to tell the TDD story again... in german language and with some extra features.

EDIT: Dammit, I have to get back to SH asap. But work and my daughter don't make that easy. Perhaps I can finish the story during my vacation (just a few weeks to go)...

"daughter"? Congratulations mate! :D Another daddy, one of our team members also.

Thanks. It's the work of Wojo as i know since today. I fixed only some problems: extremely extendend loading time for the missions and missing textures.

Last edited:
@Wojo

We used the Debris Mod the last months during our missions betatest with no single problem, so i decided to built in the mod directly in WCSD. In the installer on which i am currently working, it's already included as optional component:

PicPick_2015-10-12_13-04-20_.png

I will add you to the credits of course.

Along with Multiplayer, this is the feature I wept the most tears when we let it go back in the days of WCS development :)

Luke, i'll ask something that everyone got really bored asking it =)

any plans for cockpits, not even that awesome one made for the thunderbolt and Longbow?

No. We don't have knowhow or time for that.

Really, the team are working since 2 1/2 years every day at the WCSD project. Some of us working on details much longer. I experiment with the tech things and learn them since more than 3 years and Arrow work since 6 years on some translation aspects.

We want to finish the project in >this< life. ^^ And the next project (Plus Pack) is already planned.

'raaay!!! I did make a start on cockpits too - not enough to bother with sending your way (literally just a few boxes), but have a look at the BSG Diaspora guys to see how well a cockpit can be done...

@Aginor - I hear you, dude. Work + Children = NoTimeToMakeMods. I plug away about half an hour a week!

Back