Dear Santa Claus...

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
I have been a good lawyer this year. I refrained from chasing ambulances, I did not charge my clients over 50% of the suit´s net profit and I treated my trainees with some respect. I didn´t curse my boss or the judges (at least not at loud). Oh, and the IRS didn´t catch me this year so, technically, that´s NOT cheating.

So, Dear Santa, please let me play Standoff on this Christmas.

noel.gif

Sincerely,

Starkey

*Join the petition, write your letter to Santa Eder, .. er, Claus, and ask him for a great Christmas gift!!*

Dear Santa,
next year's christmas will do fine - if Starkey is still a good lawyer by then...
We all know you're in much pressure anyway, and what would we do if we can't dream about Standoff anymore?
So give those reindeer some sugar, and take your time - the longer I wait, the larger the stocking will get that my grandma's knitting.

And take care. Weathervanes and Skipper missiles are en vogue again.

Just a render... it's our "You have won the prologue!" splash screen (the "FA Cover" credits screen won't be shown after the prologue, only after the end of all episodes).

I'm quite pleased with the fact that these two screens look a lot better than the splash screen I did for UE. :p

Edit: I should note that neither of these are final versions, though the "You have won the prologue!" screen is pretty close. The Hagaka scene still needs a Kilrathi fleet around it. :D

Nope, that's a Concordia/Ranger. (The model is used in missions only as Concordia-class ships, but in the case of this splash screen, it's meant to be a Ranger).

The scene's supposed to be a "mothballing yard" somewhere in Gemini sector (Nexus? I forgot.), so there shouldn't be any Jutlands there - just the Guadalcanal and a Ranger (it's supposed to be the one we mention somewhere in the fiction as having played some part in Bradshaw's background), plus a lot of destroyers... which at that point in the story are about to be joined by yet one more Gilgamesh. :p

Starkey said:
I have been a good lawyer this year.
Hehe, sounds like an oxymoron to me ;).

Seriously... our answer is the ever-frustrating "we're working on it". But it is true - we really are working on it. Tempest assures me that the voiceovers are making great progress (we've even got a Sparrow... and more - amazingly enough, in the space of two weeks we've gone from the "we've been searching for moths for a female voice for Sparrow" situation to "wow, we need to create a few additional female roles to accomodate all these volunteers"; many, many thanks to Sphinx).

The main thing that still remains to be done (for the Prologue) is the music, the fiction (which I'm taking the time with - it's an easy task, and there's no hurry as long as we're waiting for the music) and the voiceover implementation (which Tempest is working on constantly). The good news is, once Michael delivers the music (and he's also working as fast as he can), you can expect the Prologue within days. The less good news is that the music is a big task (especially since it even involves a little bit of live recording), and it's definitely not going to be finished in October.

I should add, we're not neglecting the other episodes while the Prologue creeps up to release. I haven't had time lately to churn out any more mission outlines (and I deserve a solid kick for that - it's an area where we're more than a bit behind schedule), but we're making excellent progress with missions and voiceovers. This means - in theory - that the turn-around time between episode releases should be relatively short. But, as always, we're not promising anything ;).

Always amazing to hear what you guys are up to behind closed doors....amazing image as well guys...looks incredible

Quarto said:
Seriously... our answer is the ever-frustrating "we're working on it". But it is true - we really are working on it.

Great! No pressure here, just an original way of asking how´s the game progress... :) (and to get this forum going... again).

But, about my letter, will I get my gift on or before Dec. 25?

Quarto said:
"we've been searching for moths for a female voice for Sparrow"

Wow, moths eh? I would have thought to utilize a girl for the female voice but you got moths to do it?! That's resourcefulness...and a little freaky. :)

Maj.Striker said:
Wow, moths eh? I would have thought to utilize a girl for the female voice but you got moths to do it?! That's resourcefulness...and a little freaky. :)
Hey, you have no idea... I mean, I had my doubts at first, but Eder just kept on telling me, "no, it must be moths. Moths are good". And I must say, after hearing the moths' voiceovers, I must agree. No girl voiceovers could possibly compare to a well-trained moth.

Starkey said:
Great! No pressure here, just an original way of asking how´s the game progress... :) (and to get this forum going... again).

But, about my letter, will I get my gift on or before Dec. 25?
As always, I refuse to promise anything. However, there's a lot of factors that lead me to believe that yes, you will probably get your gift before then. For one thing, I'm tired. Frankly, if we don't manage to get the Prologue done by then - after almost two years - I might just give up entirely. I desperately need to get the Prologue released if only to prove to myself that UE wasn't a fluke. And secondly, we can't help feeling that them WC Saga guys are hot on our heels (of course, they're probably thinking the same - it's difficult to tell who's really ahead, given that neither team knows exactly how the other team is doing). Nothing like a bit of competition to motivate people ;).

Of course, none of this may be enough in the end. You see, I know that Michael is working on the music as fast as he can. But I also know how university can drain your time, and how there's always exams just around the corner. So, it's beyond my control, and beyond his control, too - he's working on the music, it will be done as soon as he can get it done, and that's that.

There is one bit of good news in all this. In the meantime, while the Prologue is waiting for release, we've already got all the missions for the first series of the main campaign semi-finished. I need to test them and debug them if necessary, but that's about all. There is a number of other things that need to be done - some of them very time-consuming - but the general upshot is that the longer the Prologue takes, the smaller the gap between its release and the release of the next episode (if we indeed decide to release the main campaign in episodes - which we almost certainly will) will be.

Back