Current Poll: Wing Commander on NextGen System?

NuclearPenguins said:
It just wouldn't be the same on a console. Besides, any flying game SUCKS utilizing a console's limited buttons.

Oh couse this is all hypothetical, as we're never going to see another WC game. :(

I'd beg to differ;

The Colony Wars series of games on the PSone had particulary exellent smooth controlls, Crimson skies for the xbox also had really nice controls.

Fair enough theres no keyboard for equalise weapon energy, and god knows what else that you rarely use anyways. As long as the fundelmentals are there I dont have a problem. And the fundelmentals are easily covered by 2 analog thumbsticks, 10 buttons and a D pad provided by the xbox and PS2.

TheRedDuke said:
I've always held WC console games in high regard. I think if anything, it's only expanded the fan base by making the games more accessible to those aren't (or weren't) willing to drop $2k on a new computer. And for me, Wing Commander for the PC introduced me to the games in 1990, but it wasn't until 1993 when I bought Wing Commander for my SNES that my love of Wing Commander really took hold.

Yeah, I'd have to credit Super Nintendo Wing Commander 1 as 50% of the reason I'm here today.

Eder said:
I'm yet to be convinced that I should buy something I can play games on when I already have something I can play games and do a ridiculous amount of other stuff on. As Edfilho said, consoles and console titles are pretty expensive here, so the yearly computer upgrade comes much cheaper, and feels like much more bang-for-your-buck to me.

Of course, if you live in a country that console makers simply don't cater to, you'd be in a different situation. In your situation, the pricing scheme would be exactly reverse what I described with consoles being several times more expensive than PCs rather than the opposite. But if consoles were far cheaper for you, like they are here, what does it matter if you have one gaming device already? I've got two dozen different machines that all play different games here. If I ever just picked one, I'd be shutting out the majority of my gaming library. It'd be pretty sad (hell, it'd be sad just because I'd no longer be able to play the different versions of Wing Commander games already made for consoles).

NuclearPenguins said:
It just wouldn't be the same on a console. Besides, any flying game SUCKS utilizing a console's limited buttons.

Oh couse this is all hypothetical, as we're never going to see another WC game. :(

Of course we are. And if you weren't aware, there are lots of great Wing Commander console games. Wing Commander 1 through Prophecy work great on everything from the Super Nintendo to the Playstation to the Game Boy with their buttons. And did you miss the picture of Steel Battalion I posted? Not that that's even necessary, as there are more buttons on a modern controller than your average customizable flight stick these days.

Jason_Ryock said:
That being said - I agree with you whole heartedly. The two systems compliment each other well. I keep my PC and my Saitek joystick for my flightsims and my RTS games, and I use the Xbox for RPGs like KOTR (Knights of the old Republic) and FPS games like Republic Commando.

Yeah, I love strategy games, and they just don't make a lot of turn based strategy or real time strategy on the console. Need a mouse and you need to be fairly close to a high resolution screen for those. I couldn't give up a PC for that sort of gaming. But FPS games, action games, most simulators, I'd go either way depending on the individual game. They could be better on either one. But even WC Armada was ported to a consoles in Japan (http://originmuseum.solsector.net/armada.html).

luminon said:
The above quote just about sums up my reasoning. As much as I love the wing commander series, I would not be prepared to spend the extra money on the hardware to play one game, when I can already play many games, including past wing commander games, on my PC. For example, I would really have liked to have a go at GTA San Andreas, but with no PC release yet, I am yet to play it and I would not by a PS2 just for this game. The same would go for a new wing commander game.

Well, if San Andreas were only ever going to be on the PS2, it would be different. As it stands, the PC version is coming out in 3 months, so if you prefer one platform over another, of course you'd wait. I'd bet any future WC game would be available for both, but your logic completely escapes me, as I said earlier up in the thread. Some people won't do it based on the "principle" that they a game machine is a waste of money. But if a great new Wing Commander game were only on consoles, then the price of the console would surely factor into the price of the game. In that regard, you should be saying $200 or whatever is too expensive for you to pay for the next WC game. I can understand that, though personally $200 would be a steal for me. Instead, I'm hearing a biased anti-console sentiment that isn't interested based on principles which don't seem logical here.

Conrad said:
Fair enough theres no keyboard for equalise weapon energy, and god knows what else that you rarely use anyways. As long as the fundelmentals are there I dont have a problem. And the fundelmentals are easily covered by 2 analog thumbsticks, 10 buttons and a D pad provided by the xbox and PS2.

Some console versions of Wing Commander games have utilized "shift" buttons like Control or Alt on the PC Keyboard to multiply their range of commands. Mastering the Super Nintendo controls for Wing Commander 1 was very rewarding back in the day. I recently bought a PS1 with the LCD screen for Wing Commander 3 and 4. Been planning to get Colony Wars if I ever see a good copy.

TopGun said:
Cool, Chris how does Prophecy play on the DS, any better than the GBA?

I talked about that a little bit at https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/5954 The DS is nice because the graphics are cleaner and the horizontal layout is slightly more comfortable. The Decoys button is quite a bit easier to get to, though the main A and B buttons are a little smaller. The best controls for Prophecy Advance are to use a Wavebird or Joystick with the GameCube GameBoy Player.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisReid said:
Well, if San Andreas were only ever going to be on the PS2, it would be different. As it stands, the PC version is coming out in 3 months, so if you prefer one platform over another, of course you'd wait. I'd bet any future WC game would be available for both, but your logic completely escapes me, as I said earlier up in the thread. Some people won't do it based on the "principle" that they a game machine is a waste of money. But if a great new Wing Commander game were only on consoles, then the price of the console would surely factor into the price of the game. In that regard, you should be saying $200 or whatever is too expensive for you to pay for the next WC game. I can understand that, though personally $200 would be a steal for me. Instead, I'm hearing a biased anti-console sentiment that isn't interested based on principles which don't seem logical here.

I'm definitely not anti-console, I actually do enjoy playing console games with friends but I have never considered buying one. What I'm saying is, I would not be prepared to spend a fair amount on a gaming only machine which cannot be upgraded when it becomes obsolete, when I already have a gaming machine, which plays games just as well as consoles, which can be upgraded and I can use it to do my work as well. I'm not saying that anyone who does go out and buy a console when they already have a PC is wrong, it's just that in my own personal opinion, I cannot justify it in my head. I would certainly be tempted by a console only wing commander release, but (again this is probably just a personal thing) not tempted enough to consider $200 as part of the price tag for the game. Sorry if I sound biased or illogical, but everyone has an opinion on most things and I'm afraid this is how I see the consoles argument from my point of view.

luminon said:
I'm definitely not anti-console, I actually do enjoy playing console games with friends but I have never considered buying one. What I'm saying is, I would not be prepared to spend a fair amount on a gaming only machine which cannot be upgraded when it becomes obsolete, when I already have a gaming machine, which plays games just as well as consoles, which can be upgraded and I can use it to do my work as well. I'm not saying that anyone who does go out and buy a console when they already have a PC is wrong, it's just that in my own personal opinion, I cannot justify it in my head. I would certainly be tempted by a console only wing commander release, but (again this is probably just a personal thing) not tempted enough to consider $200 as part of the price tag for the game. Sorry if I sound biased or illogical, but everyone has an opinion on most things and I'm afraid this is how I see the consoles argument from my point of view.

Yeah, I've heard this from more than one person. I really don't see how the lack of upgrades is a downside. You buy a console at launch for $300 and it looks good for at least five years, or you buy it a year or two later for $150 and it's good for at least three years. There's no way I could get a $300 or $150 video card that would last any longer than the console life cycle. If you're tied to PCs, that's your personal preference, but "upgrading" is an expensive chore, not a benefit of being primarily a PC gamer. There's no need to upgrade in the console market, because the systems are so cheap relative to PC hardware.

I'm all for porting the WC games to consoles... If anything, at least it intorduces WC to a broader segment of the population that may have missed the originals on the PC. In my opinion, though, it would be sacrilegious if a bureaucratic decision was made to make a new Wing Commander game... but only for consoles. :eek:

While I agree that there are now many options for controls on consoles ( I didn't mind ps versions of 3 and 4) Wing Commander has always felt more at home on the PC. The controls, while there are lots of them and they need learned, were smoother and more natural. Om PS1 I always found that you had to pretty much stop controling your ship to get certain button combos.

ChrisReid said:
But if consoles were far cheaper for you, like they are here, what does it matter if you have one gaming device already?
Doesn't matter at all, I agree. I just mean that, as things are, one gaming device is an adequate expense for my gaming time. :p I certainly wouldn't mind picking up a console if I thought the prices were adequate (even if just to play console-only titles... I'm pretty sure the PC would still be my favorite platform).

ChrisReid said:
I talked about that a little bit at https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/5954 The DS is nice because the graphics are cleaner and the horizontal layout is slightly more comfortable. The Decoys button is quite a bit easier to get to, though the main A and B buttons are a little smaller. The best controls for Prophecy Advance are to use a Wavebird or Joystick with the GameCube GameBoy Player.

Looks Cool (kinda like how WC III and IV for the PSX look better on the PS2)

I may get a DS, there about £100 here. Plus I can use my Brothers GBA games :D

Last edited by a moderator:
cff said:
And how much would that stick cost?!

The whole thing: two joysticks, throttle, three pedals, forty buttons (all light up), metal switches, tuner dial AND the full game are $150 in that giant box. There's even a mini-wrench fastened underneath which you use to screw together the three primary control blocks when you unpack it from transport. Various companies also sold cockpits/helmets to add to the immersion. The semi-massively multiplayer online sequel (which is a separate $30 game) also utilized the voice headset and all the buttons on the regular handheld XBox controller (I kept mine in my lap) while you played as well. It's also a flagship title for the 5.1 dolby digital surround sound and 1280x720p high definition resolution display support.

Conrad said:

I pretty much played the first two wing commander games using a two button joystick, and the G, W, A, L and T keys.

The PC game, with all sorts of keys available, and I only used seven buttons regularly.

There were all sorts of neat keys by the time you got to the latest games. Match speed, target closest enemy, things like that. I was still perfectly happy playing it them using the same keys (plus decoy and switching W and M where appropriate) I'd been using for the better part of a decade because that's what I was used to. At some point I started targetting nearest enemy instead of rotating through, but that was a fairly recent change on my part. As long as you have those keys and can pause to see a nav map and maybe communicate with your wingmen, you've got more than enough control.

TC said:
I pretty much played the first two wing commander games using a two button joystick, and the G, W, A, L and T keys.

What, no C key? How'd you land? :)

C key AND the numbers too :)

I didn't get the Ghost Land joke... Ghost is from argentina, it's a totally different country :p

Well, only nintendo is officially in brazil. SCE and MS-Xbox aren't here. You can only buy imported or smuggled PS2s and XBOXes, same with the games. And even the gamecube/GB-x stuff is pretty expensive. I intend to bring back some console with me from NY, maybe a PS2 or a GC, not chance of buying a xbox, too few exclusives.

I do have a Dreamcast and a SNES, though. And I play all sorts of PSX games on an emulator, I even have a legit Dual Shock 1 to play on the PC.

It is funny that the guy above mentioned Republic Commando, I tried it on a XBOX and decided that the mouse-keyboard combo is a lot better than the game pad for me. Of course, my machine (Athena) is good and can run any modern PC games like Doom3, Half-Life 2, and modern ports like Riddick and stuff.

I like the PC better, but I really like consoles too. It's just that I'll ALWAYS play the PC version of any game. I leave consoles for exclusive stuff like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, FFX, FFCC...

I would definatley play a WC game on any platform and if I dont own a machine that has a new WC on it, ill buy it.
I found it strange really that so many people voted otherwise.

Besides, once games start looking too realistic then it is not a retreat from real life into a world of fantasy. Working in the outdoor industry I am constantly coming across kids who every evening storm a building single-handed and kill 200 terrorists without having to even load a new mag. THey have no sense of danger and risk and it makes for a dangerous session. It is important that these kids understand that games are just fantasy and by looknig to realistic they don't understand.

I want real fantasy.

Well i got a PC, PS, PS2 so i would not have any problem playing it on any of those..

Just make it play.. cause at the moment i only have the WC III and i can play it.. ( i will be trying DOSbox soon)

I would play a WC game on any platform as well, but I would prefer a new PC title. My WC collection includes the PC versions of all wing commander games (except that I accidently destroyed my copy of Prophecy) as well as the SNES of WC, and 3DO's Super WC and WC3. Personally, I think the PC versions are superior by the fact that PC's tend to allow for more complex play (PC game engines tend to be more complex) and better control schemes (you can have far more features on a keyboard/joystick combo then you ever could with a PS2 or Xbox controller).

Spertallica said:
you can have far more features on a keyboard/joystick combo then you ever could with a PS2 or Xbox controller

While I prefer PC I'm pretty sure you can get keyboard/Mouse combos for PS2 and xbox.

Quite frankly, I'd expect a PS2 or X-Box game to be *more* likely to support a joystick than a new PC game. The last generation of Wing Commander console ports did a great job of supporting special joysticks (WC4 PSX, WC3 3DO)... whereas the trend in modern computer games is to try to figure out how to be mouse-based.

Back