Criminals Get Their Comeuppance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
Just an interesting little story I thought I would share with you all. In my neighborhood a couple of blocks down three armed men entered an elderly couple's home last week, intending to rob him.

I don't know the details, but they said the homeowner (of around age 70) ended up shooting two of the robbers, killing one, and critically injuring another, while the remaining robber gave up. Apparently the homeowners home had been robbed before while he and his wife were out of town, and this time he would have nothing of it! Just thought it was a funny (yet still serious) little story.

P.S.- Sorry for the stupid grammar in the title, the edit feature won't let me edit the thread name.

You know I was told, by a former police officer, that if you're going to shoot an intruder you should shoot to kill. Cause you don't want him coming back to sue you.
And if that happens in this situation I'll be quite annoyed, maybe enough to write a letter. I don't know to who, maybe Santa Claus, but still quite annoyed.

Shaggy said:
You know I was told, by a former police officer, that if you're going to shoot an intruder you should shoot to kill. Cause you don't want him coming back to sue you.

This is a bit of urban legend, really. Executing an invader after they have given up, either by wounding, surrendering, or fleeing, tends to fall clearly under the murder bit of the law. Then it depends on what kind of judge you get. Some places, like Texas, clearly favor the home owner.

This is all ignoring the fact that criminals do have family, either parents or siblings, or even a wife and children. They can all sue you, too. I would like to see a cop suggest killing them as well.

Here in Oklahoma the law basicly reads that if somebody breaks into your home, and you perceive ANY ammount of threat, you can shoot and kill them, and you are imune from any civil or criminal prosecution. Now that only works if there in your house at the time you kill them. IMO thats the way it outa be, would make somebody think twice about breakin into somebodies home.

My friend actually told me something like this. Except it was a grandmother and her child called 911. Apparently you could hear her shooting on the telephone.:)

PattyMan2001 said:
Here in Oklahoma the law basicly reads that if somebody breaks into your home, and you perceive ANY ammount of threat, you can shoot and kill them, and you are imune from any civil or criminal prosecution.

This really has nothing to do with what I said. I said doing burglars execution style after they're no longer a threat at all is stupid. I am well aware that in any state that allows concealed weapons you're allowed to shoot to kill if they're threatening you.

t.c.cgi said:
This really has nothing to do with what I said. I said doing burglars execution style after they're no longer a threat at all is stupid. I am well aware that in any state that allows concealed weapons you're allowed to shoot to kill if they're threatening you.

Slow down there Sparky, I wasnt saying anything about your post, Just adding my input to the thread.

Bonus points to the couple in question I say. Here in Australia the laws are pretty much "getting robbed? too bad", and more often than not if you defend yourself YOU get charged with assualt. It's crazy.
One case that springs to mind that made news all over the country here was last year when a man broke into an old couples house armed with a hatchet, robbed them beat them then killed the husband. While he was distracted the wife managed to get the hatchet and knock him out with the blunt end. In the end the man served a few months in prison for the murder, the police charged the woman with assault and fined her, and the murderer sucesfully sued her for his injuries.
Sometimes I wish I was in the US :(

It varys in the states, basicly Hit-or-miss. In California, I dont care how in the right you were, you can expect a lawsuit from ither the criminal who robbed you if he lived, or if he died, his family will deffinatly sue you, and they may win, wouldnt be the first time....And you can expect a local DA to concider if any criminal charges can be filed. Some states like Oklahoma or Texas, you may just get a slap on the back by the judge as you walk out the door....Just depends on the state your in.

t.c.cgi said:
This is all ignoring the fact that criminals do have family, either parents or siblings, or even a wife and children. They can all sue you, too. I would like to see a cop suggest killing them as well.

Awwwww, criminals are human beings who have feelings too! We must be tolerant of their difference of opinion and respect their moral diversity. That's cute.

PattyMan2001 said:
It varys in the states, basicly Hit-or-miss. In California, I dont care how in the right you were, you can expect a lawsuit from ither the criminal who robbed you if he lived, or if he died, his family will deffinatly sue you, and they may win, wouldnt be the first time....And you can expect a local DA to concider if any criminal charges can be filed. Some states like Oklahoma or Texas, you may just get a slap on the back by the judge as you walk out the door....Just depends on the state your in.

That's why Florida passed their "stand your ground" law, relatively recently, that codified a person's right to defend themselves without having to try to evade first (giving criminals or their relatives filing lawsuits no legal ground to stand on for suing), and that the mere act of breaking and entering was sufficient "probable cause" for a homeowner to use lethal force.

Of course, this was paraded around as the anti-gun crowd as a future cause of rampant shootings in the street, even though similar laws passed in other states haven't had anything even remotely like that effect. But, hey, what's ignoring a few facts when you have A Cause™? :p

(I do believe in "gun control": using both hands. :p )

Thats why I moved to Oklahoma, where i have the god given right to defend my self, and proudly use my Conceled Cary Permit. :p

("Forget 911, I dial .357" "I believe Gun Control is hitting your target" :cool: )

yeah, from what i've heard from my mother the gun control crowd is calling it the "Wyatt Earp" law and expect it to turn major cities into the wild west once again....of course i always felt a little sorry for the prospective burgler breaking into my house, i mean both barrels of 20ga #3 buckshot in a confined hallway does leave such a nice chunky salsa effect......:)

Screw those I want my dads gun (damn weapons laws got changed when i was young-ish so he had to surender it)
Desert Eagle k-frame and modified to carry an extended clip (can't remember how much more though and the main reason he had to hand it in, some mods are just plain illegal)
Still remember grandad's .303 too. Even at the age of 70 he could fire it as fast as any auto.

As my feelings have been expressed in a prior thread on gun control... I'll leave it suffice to say that's a great story about the intruders being dealt a little more than they can handle. Its sad that one of them was killed but if they're willing to break the law then they must realize that getting shot is one of the many risks they are taking. In my state, I believe the law is if they have invaded your house then you have the right to shoot to kill. (i.e. you can't shoot them if they are on your front lawn with a hatchet, you must wait until they invade your house). That gave birth to the old saying, "Shoot em and make sure you drag em across your doorway before calling the police." At any rate, I feel sorry for the criminal that invades my house, a 45 .ACP will spin him around sideways and put him on the floor, but since I have .45 Black Talons, doesn't really matter where I put the bullet, he's going to be in surgery for several hours or dead. I'm filing for a C&R license here pretty soon to help add to my collection.

wolfboy said:
yeah, from what i've heard from my mother the gun control crowd is calling it the "Wyatt Earp" law and expect it to turn major cities into the wild west once again....

Nevermind that the "wild west" with frequent shootouts on main street was a movie/TV fiction with little to no basis in fact...

Sorry, one of my hot button sub-issues, regarding guns.

Hey, Aussies, although your rights are trampled and snatched away lately, it's not too late. You can get a U.S. style NRA going and start electing politicians who support you and repeal the crappy laws and pass ones that protect your rights. And by all means, work to amend your constitution so it can't happen again.

Good luck, and I wish that you all will someday be able to defend yourselves again.

psych said:
Awwwww, criminals are human beings who have feelings too! We must be tolerant of their difference of opinion and respect their moral diversity. That's cute.

I don't care about their feelings. Honestly I'm all for putting them down because they're punks. However, the call to kill them to avoid getting sued wears thin on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back