Creating red book audio cd from WCP in flight music

RFBurns

Spaceman
Ok there has been lots of talk about how to get the in flight music from WCP. One way is a tre file manager, and extract the music directly. But there are many with the same delima with the tre manager, either working it or even trying to find it. Heres the answer that should work for everyone.

First, start WCP, then go to your options screen and turn down the movie and sound effects (sfx) volume controls, and leave the music volume up. This will kill all sounds other than music in the game.

Then start the game from the begining, under a different pilot unless you want your main pilot to go thru the game again. Once the missions start, all you will hear is the music, no voices, no sound effects at all. Not even the sound effects of the catapult. Even the comms will be muted. Tie a recorder into your system and record away each mission music you want. If your sound card has the I-Drive, plug a digital recorder into the optical outputs and record digitally. Once you do this, you can then take your recordings and dump them into the computer in .wav format, the 9660 standard for red book CD audio. Take the trusty dusty CD audio creation proggy that comes with all cd burners and make your red book cd! WALA!! :) An audio CD of all the WCP mission music that will play in any cd player!! Jam it in the car! Jam it in the jambox! Jam it on the home stereo! Be the envy of your friends! Amaze the WC community!! Enjoy!! :D

RFBurns

Ok, just a quick question.

How many of you have gone so far as to make CD's of all of the WC music?

Well, I for one have. I have a cd for each game (except for wc3 cause i can't burn midi's at this time, and wcp cause I have yet to extract the music) complete with jewelcase, cd insert w/art, cd labels, a clear case with a picture of something cool from WC underneath the cd, and a back playlist.

So I have cd's for WC1, WC2, WC4, and my favorites cd. WC3 is ready to go, I just either need the music in mp3 format, or software that will burn midis into cd audio. Soon I will get the prophecy music, and it to will be made.

I am a geek!:)

Thats quite a collection Zor! I only did this audio cd thing on the WCP and SO music. Although it is probably alot easier to extract the music from the older games, that music just didnt really entice me to go thru the trouble in making red book cd's of them. But quite an impressive collection you got going! :)

RFBurns

Very cool! Hey, send the track lists and the CD artwork to the CIC (news@wcnews.com) and we can post it so everyone can make these CDs.

It wasn't really that hard. I just downloaded the mp3's from the cic's music section and converted them. The only ones I can't do that with are the WC3 midi's, and there are some midi's from WC2 that I would like to put on a second WC2 CD. It was actually alot of fun!

I tried the mp3 conversions but I think my converter is inverted!! The audio sounded very sloppy after conversion! :( But I might try again with this audio grabber thingy that has an mp32wav proggie in it. Id like to see the cd jewel case inserts you made! This could be the begining of a whole new way to keep the WC universe alive! POWER TO THE PLAYERS!! :D

RFBurns

Speaking of music, I am in the process of downloading and taping (yes, taping, I don't have a CD burner). I noticed that at the end of the WC2 music are the words "More to Come" and that there are quite a few songs missing in MP3 format. When will we see these more? I would specifically like to see the song from the intro to SO1. Maybe Loaf can give me an answer

That's okay, I tape the music too. One of these days I'll get a CD-R...

Anyway, HCl's TRE Manager and MGI2WAV utilities really aren't that hard to use, plus you get the original 'digital' tracks, not 'analogue' output from your line outs, and you get a nice little ending sequence for the WCP sim tunes. Plus, since all WCP music is in 22KHz, the WCP Credits download is unneccesary, not to mention that the recording is heavily 'clipped'. (Distortion)

Cool. I'll take some pics of the cases tonight and post them when I get a chance!

I got mixman studio pro today, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to make the WC3 cd tonight!

DESPERATE PLEA: Does anyone have any of the Midi files in mp3 format from wc2, or wc3? if so tell me please!!!

BTW: Use winamp for mp32wav conversion. It's free! download it and use the diskwriter plugin that comes w/ it. I get near perfect conversions!!!

AUDIO CDS!!!!

Hey all!!

The pics of the cds are up! Go to the Wing Commander Audio CDs!!!! thread and click on the link!

tell me what ya think!

Originally posted by Phantom
Speaking of music, I am in the process of downloading and taping (yes, taping, I don't have a CD burner). I noticed that at the end of the WC2 music are the words "More to Come" and that there are quite a few songs missing in MP3 format. When will we see these more? I would specifically like to see the song from the intro to SO1. Maybe Loaf can give me an answer

Phantom, you can go to http://music.wcmusic.net .
There are quite a few WC2 themes posted up there that I have recorded, which don`t appear at the CIC music section.
Also, I recommend the WC1-Inflight and WC2-Inflight mp3s.

Be aware, though, that my driveway account is closing down on March 5th and there are a few problems accessing the page as a result, so I`ll have to move the files someplace else soon.

I made an some arrangements with TC, but it didn`t work out too well for some reason (not pointing a finger at anyone).
in the meantime, I`m trying to find an online drive where I can also share files with everybody. Anyone know of one?

You cannot sell any of the WC music, midi, mp3 or cd or on any format, they are copyrighted material, and unless you want to go thru a similar fate as Napster with court and lawsuits, you dont want to do that! It is no different from making a cd of 3 doors down and selling your copies. It violates the copyright and you can get into serious trouble! Making them for your own use is leagal as long as the intention is only for your personal use.

RFBurns

Wow... I wish people would tell me when things didn't work out... because I've still got the stuff that Mad Hatter got around to uploading sitting at
ftp://blacklance.org/pub/music/

None other was ever uploaded so.. uh it's not there :)

TC

Back