Crazy Things You Did While Playing WC

QuailPilot said:
That one takes the cake.

There's lots of other pretty neat stories I've heard over the years that haven't come up here yet. LOAF broke some bones trying to get Kilrathi Saga.

Dahan said:
3. my mum when was i wee lad went

I recognize all these words, but not in that order.

3. my mum when was i wee lad went into my room and started cleaning out my junk and she took my box of all computers games which she thought was junk evne thou i labelled it not to touch and I had to go the bin and pull it out amongst getting crap all over myself...

Do I have rephrase it?
Me - when i was a little boy
Mother - cleared my room
Accidently took my box of pc games and assume it was rubbish without asking, contain my wing commander games and other good games as well.....

Well, I could easily have been shot at the time, bad guys pack guns here. I could be dead for years now, a death for the confederation.

I remember buying the Dxr2 setup... Man, I paid 300 bucks for a video game. On the other hand, I did it again years later for my KS copy(closer to 200)... Damn first-gen dvd-rom burnt out on me in a couple year's time, wound up buying a dxr3 kit off ebay a few years back (this was before the software mode patch). Still using it to this day. :D

Many years ago I used to love partying with my friends on the weekends and coming home to a little WC2 action before finally calling it an evening. One night I brought my girlfriend out with me and my buddys. She ended up having too much to drink which was something she didn't do very often. I took her back to my place (practically carried her) and she wound up passed out on the bathroom floor. After making sure she was OK I stayed up and played WC2 until about 3:30 in the morning. :D Fun times!

After beating Wc3 for the first time, I was so excited I accidentally tipped by computer chair backwards. Ouch.

I popped down to the shops once while my 2x CD-Rom was loading a WC3 mission. ( It was less than a minute's walk and I was only on a late night cigarette run. :) ) Got back just as the arrow left the hanger. Perfect. :D

terroshak said:
I popped down to the shops once while my 2x CD-Rom was loading a WC3 mission. ( It was less than a minute's walk and I was only on a late night cigarette run. :) ) Got back just as the arrow left the hanger. Perfect. :D

Wow. That loading was looooooong

Well, I can't really say I've done anything *that* crazy...

I know I talked to myself a lot while playing Wing Commander 1... which is odd, since it didn't have the vocal taunts of the later games to get me fired up. Still, there were instances when I'd be fighting with the arrow keys, completely engrossed, talking to the Kilrathi fighter that would always be *just* out of my sights. After one episode, Dad sat me down and we had a long talk about, well, talking to yourself! I think he thought I was losing my mind...

I've also bought not one, not two, but three separate computers, just to make sure I always had access to Wing Commander 3. I went through a G3 iMac, iBook, and lastly, a lowly PowerBook, all in the name of finding a machine that could run WC 3 just right. That might not sound *too* crazy, but considering that I've bought all of those computers over the past 3 years, just to play one game... well, I certainly think it was odd, looking back.

I know I'm missing something -- I'll write if I can remember it.

what i did was taunt the kilrathi, Nifelhielm and black lance fighters all the time. mostly talking to myself since i couldnt play online. Unfortunately my father about time i was getting towards the middle of Prophecy SO and just starting WC3 decided i spent to much to much time playing video games and made ME take all my game disks and shatter them.

My mom just would have taken the cd away.

Of course she would only do that if I (or brother) was on the game for 2 days in a row.

I don’t think I did to much while playing Wing Commander except listening to chipmunks singing various pop hits.. Then again that is strange in itself, though I found the music seemed to go well with killing the enemy fighters… Maybe their squeeky little high speed voices made up for my slow computer somehow.

I do remember the first time I bought Wing Commander just after it came out. I was running a state of the art Tandy 1000 TL2 computer. The system had had a Intel 8088 processor running at a whopping 4.77 Mhz. and 7.16 Mhz , 256K (Expandable to 640K), CGA 16 Colors & CGA 4 Colors, and a floppy drive. There was no hard drive at all and everything ran off disks except Dos which was onboard in the ROM. The game cost me nearly $80 and then I could not play it as I did not have enough RAM. It took 8 months to save up for the RAM as I was a unemployed teen and cost $500 to buy. Then I patiently waited through 20 to 30 minute load times between missions to play it in its 16 color glory. It was a tad annoying when 2 min into a mission I would die and then wait 15+ min to reload the mission again. Never stopped me though…

Later I bought WC2 and could not play it. I then lost the disks. I bought it again when I got a new computer, but couldn’t play it due to compatibility issues. I then lost it in a move along with other games. Then I bought a 486 and purchased WC2 Deluxe on CD only to not be able to play due to the game running too fast. I almost bought it again by buying the Kilrathi Saga, but figured I bought it enough already. Over all it took me over 10 years to play the game in fact I only just started playing it off and on a month ago. I have however played many other WC games beginning to end and I really enjoy the storylines.

Overall my memories of the original WC are mostly me flying through asteroid fields with thrusters on full, blasting the cats while listening to the chipmunks sing Venus. I guess that’s weird. (and no I no longer listen to the chipmunks.. :) )

Back