Crazy stuff in SO1

Supdon3

Kal-El
Lets forget about routinely sending out bombers on patrol missions, why when captured is Thrakhath wearing a Confed flight suit? They couldnt have found anything else for him? Why not leave him in his own suit? And even if it was the only thing for him to wear, why give him that data thingy they wear on their backs? I mean, if he is gonna steal a fighter and escape, the only other thing he'd need is a helmet big enough to fit his head! Why not just confine him to the cockpit of one of the fighters.

"Here you go furball. Now sit still and dont touch the controls or you might escape."

Also it got kinda buggy and instead of Thrakhath talking in the cut scenes it was Paladin at one point.

I just got through playing SO1 again...
It bugs up for me as well, I saw whatshername (Major Edmond?)
Anyway, it showed her head, and it didn't look like she was wearing a uniform either! (Bare shoulders)
Hehe... :D

IIRC that head switching is a 'normal' bug of SO1, in my case there was very often Blair's face floating in midair.

Originally posted by Ghost
And the cockpits without the rear of the ship.
If you mean what I think you mean, that was just because they didn't count on getting the ships so far forward as they do on a fast machine. Although they should of course have used fixed delays in the first place!! :mad:

I remember the original DOS WC2 Intro on my 486. You'd still hear the emperor say "Soon the Earth itself will be in our grasp!", while the screen already shows Tolwyns office...

Originally posted by Unforgiven
I remember the original DOS WC2 Intro on my 486. You'd still hear the emperor say "Soon the Earth itself will be in our grasp!", while the screen already shows Tolwyns office...

well I didn't have that poblem!!! needer SO1 problems you are talking about. only thing that look funny was wend I got WC! first time, I had a 386 12 mhz, or maybe 10 mhz don't remmeber, well the thing was that I had a EGA video card, and all the green stuff look brown, then wend i got the VGA card and the Soubd Blaster 8-bits (the first that came out), I felt like I was playing a totaly new game, I recall that I remeber that i was telling ppl

"WOW that WC game rules, the music is almost like real instruments" now i think thind of difirent about the midi sounds that card did.

Originally posted by 15th Rampage
"WOW that WC game rules, the music is almost like real instruments" now i think thind of difirent about the midi sounds that card did.
Had you ever actually heard a *real* instrument? :D
Playing WC3 with MIDI sound over my Roland E-96 is cool, sounds even better than the KS digitised music. :cool:

Sounds like Tolwyn was planning for the Black Lance even back then! :p

Hm, i have MANY Probs wirth SO1!
It is very buggy, and it chrashes every 20 minutes :(.
I have a Problem with the Speech, they abort sometimes, and if an other starts to speak, the computer freezes.
The Auto Pilot is slow, the Computer loads very slow.
Then, WC2 and SO2 aren't these way :(.

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
IMO the MIDI music has always sounded better than the digitaized stuff.

I've gotta give the SNES version of WC1 one thing, and that's the music. The music is a whole lot better than the PC version, IMO, especially the dogfight music; it sounds like tribal drums and steel drums, which sounds pretty weird when you read it, but it sounds (in the game) really cool.

Adequately confused?
Good. :p

Had you ever actually heard a *real* instrument? :D
Playing WC3 with MIDI sound over my Roland E-96 is cool, sounds even better than the KS digitised music. :cool:

Yes I have hear REAL Instruments all my life,
evern I made My school (a log time ago) to play the WC1 Intro music theme in the Shool Orchestra, and the play it LIVE in a presentation, I reacorded that on a tape, but the tape won't sound anymore.
:cool:

Oh, so you can fully orchestrate a peice of music from hearing alone and conduct it? Why don't we get you to do the sheet arangements to that WC Orchestra CD some of us wanna hear so much... :rolleyes:

[Sarcasm Alarm]

well if I could read and write music I could probably do like the imperial march just from hearing it a few times, like the people who can eat a food and determine exactly what is in it

Well, sitting down at a piano and not being able to read a lick of sheet music or ever playing the piano, I played the opening melody to Aliens in about 10 minutes of experimentation.

...Too bad I started that by trying to play "Victorious Titus" by Elliot Goldenthal. :)

Hearing music and putting it on a piano is one thing, thats pretty easy. Writting for, say, a 90 peice orchestra is pretty freaking hard. Most composers have more than one orchestrator working on a single score. Look at Dark City. It has 5 or 6 orchestors for about 40-50 minutes worth of music. I get a headache from thinking about what the sheet music from the final battle theme looks like.

I digress...

Writing for a 90 peice orchestra is a LONG bit of Conductor's sheet and the same goes for High School Bands. You have Brass (Trombone, French Horn, Trumpet, a Tuba, maybe a Bass Trombone) , Woodwinds (Clarenet, Flute), usually an extensive, full-sized percussion section (Bass Drum, Snare, Timpani). Some schools have strings (mine didn't) and I heard of one Illinois school having a second string section.

And you're going to tell me you translated a song, entirely by ear to about a roughly 90-peice military-band-style ensamble, copied it to a conductor's sheet and then to all the members of the band?

If I did that, I'd have more than one copy of it on tape. :rolleyes:

You're right, transcribing a simple piece of music with only a few tracks is easy, but for an orchestra?!?
I really envy some of those composers... To be able to do what they can.
Take for instance Michael Kamen, who wrote the music for movies like X-Men and Saving Private Ryan, and incidentally also did Metallica S&M (Symphony & Metallica).
In the behind-the-scenes video of S&M, James Hetfield cites as example of how good Kamen is: "In a 100-piece ensemble, he could here that one of the flutes was playing a half step off."
Now that's a musical ear...
But I guess I'll just have to struggle on with keyboard and guitar. :(

Back