Covert ops bases orbiting Kilrah

redwolf

Spaceman
How did they get those bases into the middle of the Kilrathi empire without the cats knowing.

Those bases I'm referring to are the refuelling depots you use on the Kilrah bombing run. Seems like a logistical nightmare because they're not small!

Not necessarily the correct answer, but something to consider:

The situation explains is rather similar to how a stealth fighter works.

You still see it on radar perfectly... but it looks exactly as a flock of birds would. You would be completely nuts if you fired at every flock of birds you saw on radar. The same would apply here. You would have to a bit paranoid (and have a lot of resources) to destroy every comet or asteroid that passes through a system.

Originally posted by redwolf
Seems like a logistical nightmare because they're not small! [/B]

I think the only difficult part would be getting the bases into orbit without the Kilrathi noticing (could you imagine flying around in a rock?!?) During the cold war a US sub commander (Mack, I believe) followed a Russian sub near a Russian port for something like 47 days and was never caught. Considering the logistics that a sub had to surface every 12 hours for air and to recharge batteries, store food, etc. I would think Confed would be able to figure out a way to store a rock in orbit of a planet.

Kilrah is surrounded by an asteroid field. There are plenty of rocks of various sizes, some of them big enough to hold the refueling bases. There is undoubtably a lot of traffic moving through it, allowing a Confed team to use a Kilrathi transport to build the bases. Since the bases were not in use until Blair got there, they wouldn't emit any radio signals or com traffic, energy signatures with which to detect it. THe chances of a Kilrathi ship just happening upon on would be a million to one because of the sheer number of asteroids there.

I believe that the asteroid base was automated as well.

Originally posted by akashra
Not necessarily the correct answer, but something to consider:

The situation explains is rather similar to how a stealth fighter works.

You still see it on radar perfectly... but it looks exactly as a flock of birds would. You would be completely nuts if you fired at every flock of birds you saw on radar. The same would apply here. You would have to a bit paranoid (and have a lot of resources) to destroy every comet or asteroid that passes through a system.

Yeah, but how many flocks of birds are flyin' around in space?...

2 things, 1. a stealth figher/bomber has the radar signature of a bee or fly not bird.
2. During the vast majority of the cold war us subs did not have to surface for over 60 days, not 12 hours. They were not Diesle powered after 1953 for the most part. That is the joy of nuclear

Originally posted by Supdon3
Kilrah is surrounded by an asteroid field. There are plenty of rocks of various sizes, some of them big enough to hold the refueling bases. There is undoubtably a lot of traffic moving through it, allowing a Confed team to use a Kilrathi transport to build the bases. Since the bases were not in use until Blair got there, they wouldn't emit any radio signals or com traffic, energy signatures with which to detect it. THe chances of a Kilrathi ship just happening upon on would be a million to one because of the sheer number of asteroids there.

You might remember that Angel put a device into orbit that sent signals to a relay point just outside Kilrah. To everyones knowledge, that was never detected though, so what is to say that anything insystem would have been detected either? There was probably so much comm traffic around Kilrah, extra signals would be a nightmare to notice and find, track down...

Heh. Okay, now you've got me thinking :p

Voyager was switched off how many years ago so if anyone actually had done that to us (IRL), we'd never know about it.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Always made me wonder if the Kilrathi had planted anything similar around Earth.

IIRC in WCM The Kilrathi officer or some cat says something about the *listening post oribting Earth* or the Sol System or something like this.

There's something to think about for DarkMage when doing WCU - A listening post wouldn't necessarily have to be in the same system to that which it's listening for - stick it in an adjecent system and pick up the waves from there.

(Don't ask me to go into the physics of it, but its possible :)

Almost, i remembered in the first 20 min, something like that and say WHAT !!! a listening post in Earth !! ,if they put a listening post in Earth, something Kilrathi travel to Earth or Sol System so why they need the NavCom ??

Originally posted by Supdon3
I don't think the bases just sat idle for Blair's arrival... after all we know of at least one other covert op in Kilrah system... (Angel)

I see. So you have a couple secret bases around the home planet of your mortal enemy. In these bases are the tools to destroy that planet if it comes down to that in a last ditch effort. The only bombs you have are in those bases so once those are gone, thats it. You then send multiple missions to those bases increasing the chances of being caught and losing the bombs?

Angel set up those bases for Blair.

Those bases could of had other purposes to Supdon. There are many reasons to having secret bases in your enimy's homeland. The first base probably was built a little after the Tarawa (sp?) showed it could be done for use as a base of operation for information gathering. The rest were created as they were neded. The tembler bomb stuff could of been sent in parts to conceal them.

Back