Cooling of Kilrah

We should also take into account the animation of Kilrah's destruction as seen in Armada, where it appears to come apart into several large pieces - Armada alone however doesn't specify if it was destroyed via the T-Bomb.

Yeah, it makes you wonder exactly what the third planet-busting option (besides the Behemoth and Temblor) was that the Lexington carried. And likewise, Earth blows up on the Kilrathi path, so the Shiraak was carrying something equally nasty.

You know, I've always wondered what would happen to a planet if it suddenly exploded on one side. I mean if you look at (I apologize for the crossover), Star Trek 6, Praxis managed to sustain an atmosphere even after more then half of the sphere was blown away. I know according to the story it was an unsustainable atmosphere that would only last 50 years, but it's something worth thinking about. What would happen to a world that suffered a cataclysmic disaster like that? Also, where would the atmosphere end? Would it end at the planet fragment, become like a bubble, or get thinner the closer to the edge of the blast you get.

I'm more at the "Fi" end of "Sci-Fi", but, with most of a planet's mass gone, what exactly would make an atmosphere stay? It looks like Praxis' core is pretty much scattered all over the Alpha/Beta/Kappa/Huzzah - whatever quadrant the moon is in.

Attachments

• Praxis_destroyed.jpg
    Praxis_destroyed.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 70
I'm more at the "Fi" end of "Sci-Fi", but, with most of a planet's mass gone, what exactly would make an atmosphere stay?
Well, there is one force in the universe easily capable of making the atmosphere stay - plot requirements :).

I've always wondered what would happen to a planet if it suddenly exploded on one side. I mean if you look at (I apologize for the crossover), Star Trek 6, Praxis managed to sustain an atmosphere even after more then half of the sphere was blown away. I know according to the story it was an unsustainable atmosphere that would only last 50 years

Except I don't think that's what happened in Star Trek VI. :) Praxis exploded, which damaged the ozone layer of the Klingon Homeworld, and the concern was this would make the homeworld unsustainable for life within fifty years. It might not have even been that specific (the 50 years might have referred to the Empire economically if they didn't divert resources to restoring the damage instead of military build up). But the details are irrelevant in regards to...

Also, where would the atmosphere end? Would it end at the planet fragment, become like a bubble, or get thinner the closer to the edge of the blast you get.

Ugh, if you really have to ask... :) You're talking about imaginary physics on top of imaginary physics, but you have to think about what an atmosphere is and why it sticks to a planet. So if a planet "exploded" such that a huge chunk blew off, what do you thinkwould happen? It sure wouldn't sit on "top" of the mass like a sticky pile of goop, like it sounds like you're imagining. Gas is gas (and if it's not clear, atmosphere is gas), and a planet is a big ball of gravity. Even half a planet is still gravity, and any remaining gas that doesn't burn up in your imaginary cataclysm will quickly spread out even and cling by the attractive forces of gravity.

Yeah, it makes you wonder exactly what the third planet-busting option (besides the Behemoth and Temblor) was that the Lexington carried. And likewise, Earth blows up on the Kilrathi path, so the Shiraak was carrying something equally nasty.

It's funny, in WC3 we see a Kilrathi 'invasion' of Earth - as per losing end scene at least, Thrakath later muses that the watery environment of the Terran homeworld was 'not an environment he ever cared for' -- or somesuch, and this made me figure that they'd only landed troops there for the sake of enslaving humans. We also know that the Kilrathi had the ability to scorch Earth by this time with anti-matter bombs. This really made me question why they bothered with the invasion at all really, but like I said, enslavement is one possibility - or perhaps the Kilrathi thought it more honorable to conquer their foe's homeworld.

As for the Kilrah destruction in Armada, well, although we've no idea what the Cats had to cause Earth to explode like that, the impression I got after WC3 was that Armada had earlier been implying a T-Bomb explosion...or something similar at least, there doesn't seem to be a ship in the cutscene firing a big gun at Kilrah, a bombing run to case destruction like that makes more sense.

Back