Contribute 3D Models

John Cordell

Spaceman
Contribute 3D Models and other things...

If you want to contribute something...
(post contributions for WCU here )

Ship models
8000 tri max
500 tri (LOD version)

Space station models
12000 tri max
1000 tri (LOD version)

Texture should be *.png and the model *.obj. Texture size is always a power of two, 1024x1024, 128x256, etc. Please try to use not more than two texture parts for a model.

If you have some nice hi-res interiors keep in mind that we can only use them when you provide us with the high res animations (as *.pngs) as well.

Nav Pad (shift-m)
We need a new model + texture for the nav pad.

Quine4000
Model + texture for the Quine4000.

Short circuit
A short circuit animation for damaged cockpit parts coresponding to this sample image
expl.png
and sound.
We also need pictures of the damaged cockpit parts.

Explosion
A High-Res explosion animation which matches this sound.

We really need...
1. Demon (new model? + texture)
2. Galaxy (new texture)
3. High Res Base Artwork

Please stick to the original design of privateer or we can't use your work.

WIP (work in progress)
[...]

Quality Assurance - Modeling by BradMick
Post your rendered stuff into this thread, BradMick reviews it before the team will add it to the game. Model as close to the original as possible without adding additonal stuff, you can contact BradMick also for reference information on the model you want to create. See also: Prospective Remake Modelers Look Here

That's all for now please return here for updates regulary i will moderate the thread and delete posts which are not important or explained through updates to this post.

Covert a model and test it in the Remake:

use ../bin/mesher in your privateer directory
mesher /? should give you some information how to use it
mesher myfile.obj myfile.bfxm obc (will use obj and mtl to build an bfxm)

the newest mesher is always here
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs..../bin/mesher.exe

Howto add glowing lights to a space station would also be nice. Maybe someone can explain it here.

alrighty....i'm going to add a little flavor to this here. Images of the work i've done for the project. Images may be kinda big for some...i apologize. visual records of whats been done i think are better than just listing...this way people can know what is finished and looking good...and what needs to be taken back 'to the drawing board'.

Centurion Shot #1

Centurion Shot #2

Centurion Shot #3

Centurion Shot #4

Upgrade Bay <-- 3d interior i was working on.....but that was scrapped because i was told it 'wasn't in the cards'

Tarsus #1

Tarsus #2

Gladius #1

Gladius #2

anyway, hopefully this'll start a trend. models for review to be posted here as well. although, the ones that i've posted (with the gladius and centurion cockpit being exceptions) are done, and final geometry wise.

BradMick

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob's done a model of the Quine (I think it was him). It remains untextured though, a fate that hangs over so many of our models.

While 8000 is a good max polygon count for a ship, anything above 2 or 3 thousand should really come with a LOD version of absolutely no more than 1000 polygons. Currently all such ships aside from the Paradigm have LOD versions and things run much more smoothly than before they were added.

And I know people will just ignore this, but please limit the number of seperate textures you use for a model. I'd really be overjoyed with a single texture per model, as this makes LODing much easier (LOD is done at the mesh level, not at the model as a whole level, thus things are easier with one mesh which you can only get with one texture).

Since nobody ever does LOD meshes (it's left to me) at least make my life somewhat easier.

I was going to save this...but I can't. I present to you the early stages of the Privateer Player Ships, Generation 2 - Tarsus.

New Tarsus

Enjoy :)

Brad Mick

(oh...and yes...I will be texturing this one myself. it'll be a while before release, but...it'll be worth it methinks)

a note about model conventions

please, anyone making models, do NOT forget :

1-Normal

this means, the length or width or height, whatever is the main direction, is EXACTLY 1 unit long.

you can scale it to this size as an export option within whatever studio you use, or simply run it through deep exploration.

the unit is then scaled up by a factor within the unit description file.

EXAMPLE : (hypothetical)

what you know :
Raptor, 35 meters long.

how you choose :
length is your major unit, because it's the longest AND you know the value it's supposed to have in WC cannon

what you do :
so you make the model, and export it 1 unit long exactly.
the origin of the coordinate system should be on the model where you want it to pivot when turning.
enter the unit data into the units file, with scale = 35.

what happens :
in game, the model will be loaded, and its size multiplied by 35. (1 * 35 = 35)

why :
because later on you can set the size of any model to any size you want, and you know what size it is without having to open it up in a modelling program.

also, people will come and go from the project. if there are any size/scale changes done later on, you do _NOT_ want to make someone have to go through every ship exhaustively modifying them.

this way you just load up excel, multiply a row, or a single ship, and save it. that ez.

-scheherazade

whenever i model i use actual real world length since LW allows me to do that. i'll model the ship however big i want, and then scale it down to fit dimensionally to real world measuring systems. so, if the ship is 25m listed in the manuals, it's for real 25m in the program. i duno that Max or any of the other programs work the same way. if they do, i'd follow that (which i do believe is what you were talking about scheherazade)

Brad Mick

just to mention, the nav pad model is done.
i just gotta nicen-up the texture and format it for the vega-strike engine.
it'd be in already, but i have some time constraints lately.
anyways, prolly next time you hear it'll be in the game.

-scheherazade

Need some pics

Hey guys,

Industry animator/artist here. I'm very interesting in making some models for the project however my computer's WinXP SP2 so it won't run the old game or the extractor and I was wondering if anyone could email me some of the extracted image files of the ships that are needed. I would also like to take a go at the tarsus model if no one minds (was my favorite :D). The project looks awsome and I can't wait till more of the features are in place.

Thanks,
Chris

email: chris@chrishale.ca

Hey Chris,

the Tarsus, Orion, Galaxy and Centurion will be done by BradMick soon but we need help with (all) the space stations so maybe you can start with them? I'm sure BradMick will send you over some reference shots soon ;)

That sounds great, can't wait to get started.

Question: Does this engine support texture masks for luminosity, opacity, bump, ect? Or will it only handle a diffuse map?

Mining Base

I decided to start on the hard one :D and got some work done on the miningbase. I'll spend a little time this week optimizing and I'll try to get to texturing it next weekend. The rest of the bases probably won't take as long as this one so if you like you can put me down for the others. =)

Attachments

• MiningBaseRender.jpg
    MiningBaseRender.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 475
Wow!

Thanks guys,

Wow, I didn't expect such a positive response :D

Brad: I'm not sure what the tri count is just yet but I'm fairly certain it will land less than the budget that was posted. Most of the structure is still NURB surfaces and the tests rebuilding to poly's I did were quite light. *crosses fingers* Lets say about 10000 tri's. I'll give you a better answer when I finish rebuilding it.

hellcatv: I'll try to be quick as I can but i'm not to experienced in laying out UV's so it'll take me a while to get textures done. Otherwise :D I'd love to do as many models as you'd like.

(PS - if anyone has tips on laying out UV's I'd very much like to hear them)

Oh, here's New Constantinople, standing at a wopping 9500 tri's... couldn't sleep... so I modelled... but now I'm sleepy =) so have a good night y'all.

Attachments

• NewConstRender.jpg
    NewConstRender.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 411
So whats left? We really need some sort of spreadsheet with all the things that need to be done, and a column that shows who's working on what, and how far along they are. That way we can see what still needs to be worked on. This should help prevent multiple people from working on the same model.

Doesn't the game files already have many objects placed into a spreadsheet? It shouldn't be to hard to copy that column over to a new spreadsheet. NOt sure.

Either way, I am interested in helping out but I'm not sure what models still need to be done. It could be just about anything although I prefer objects (cargo, ships, spacestations) or environments.

Hey Darkmatter,

you can do the following to help:
-model and/or texture the Demon
-texture the Orion
-an animated texture for Jumppoints
-model+texture the quine4000
-textures for damaged cockpit parts (Centurion, Orion, Galaxy, Tarsus)
-animation of scrap metal flying around (after a cargo (or something else) exploded)
-model + texture this cargo item
luxg.png

-if Chris Hale wants, you can texture his space stations

Thanks for the info. I think for now I'll stick with modeling. I do have experience with photoshop and with UVMaps, but not with UVUnwrapping which is what is needed here. I do wish to experiment with it but for now I'll stick with modeling.

One thing, I think I read somewhere that some of the interiors of the various locations still needs to be modeled? Any idea which ones?

Ship components and small stuff

Hi,
i would like to make some of that small stuff like that cargo item you just posted. Also I could contribute a modeled version of space ship components. Currently, when one destroys a ship, those components will fly around in boxes X-D
I would model them as shown in the ship dealer menu. Further I could make some pictures or even animations of them (possibly rotating) as a high res version for the ship dealer.

Would that be help?

What would be the max triangle-count for such objects?
Waht is that LOD version you were talking of? Is that a second model with less detail/polygons?

Zeog

Try to model and texture the cargo item if you want, maybe the quine4000 too?
Models of upgrades are not a high priority here, but a nice texture for the Orion or Demon is :)

>What would be the max triangle-count for such objects?
Maybe 350 Polygons.

>Waht is that LOD version you were talking of? Is that a second model with less detail/polygons?
Yes it is.

Back