Continuity

I didn't attack anyone, but was dang sure attacked... such is the way of things here at the CIC. Sarcasm is par for the course. :mad:
At any rate..
Many good points were made here, on both sides... but, what it boils down to, is that some people(myself included) just don't see any sense being made out of this, and will remain unconvinced. In my mind, as small as you might be convinced it is, I cannot willingly force myself to believe something that's so glaringly packed with speculation and little solid evidence. The evidence is on my(and the select few who are in agreement) side in this. The rest is fan-made fiction, which is "The worst idea since Greedo shooting first." (Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back, comic book store scene)
Yes, I understand. There is little solid plotline to go by, with the exceptions of the books(which, for the most part, fit in with the game series), and the games themselves(which, for the most part, are why all of us are here in the first place). To cast aside "Game canon" for "Movie canon"(a concept I quite agree with) is as bad as.... well, it's bad. The games came first, and a prequel that contradicts every piece of information we had at hand before it was written leaves a hell of a mess. A mess which is evident here.

Manic said:
Many good points were made here, on both sides... but, what it boils down to, is that some people(myself included) just don't see any sense being made out of this, and will remain unconvinced.
So in essence, you are covering your ears and closing your eyes and humming a song. This is not a behavior you should be proud of.
In my mind, as small as you might be convinced it is, I cannot willingly force myself to believe something that's so glaringly packed with speculation and little solid evidence.
It is amazing that in one breath, you can say that good arguments were made on both sides, and then in the next, claim that actually, one of the sides was just spouting unsubstantiated speculation.

This is the essence of your side's tactics; you say whatever suits you, whenever it suits you best, and to hell with making sense or avoiding self-contradiction. You are a fool if you think you have any credibility at all.
A mess which is evident here.
Yes, in your abject idiocy.

If you believe that the movie does not fit, then I assume you also separate Wing Commanders 1 and 2 from 3 and beyond, since the nature of the difference is exactly the same as the one you hate so much about the movie. And because separating the games into separate timelines is clearly stupid, we must logically assume that what you want to do is also equally stupid.

The only scenario in which you could be correct is one in which personal preference trumps logical deduction, and this is not that scenario. You are perfectly welcome to keep on believing the stupid things your stupid little mind stupidly believes, but stop talking about it, because it is stupid.

I wish Frosty would stop calling people stupid. It's derogatory, condescending and unbecoming of this board. I don't approve of this kind of language at all, knowing I have used it on occasion, I know, but in those cases I regret being provoked into doing so. I like Frosty's logical arguments but the namecalling has to stop. I wish he'd get a bad rep like COncordia for saying things like this.

You're hurting peoples' feelings man.

gryphon said:
I wish Frosty would stop calling people stupid. It's derogatory, condescending and unbecoming of this board. I don't approve of this kind of language at all, knowing I have used it on occasion, I know, but in those cases I regret being provoked into doing so. I like Frosty's logical arguments but the namecalling has to stop. I wish he'd get a bad rep like COncordia for saying things like this.

You're hurting peoples' feelings man.

But Frosty is Frosty is Frosty, Frosty is like that, since 4 years ago, if you take Frosty too seriously you are right in being called stupid.
Hurting people's feelings??
I bet that most of the CZ poster can't sleep because Frosty.

Every time Frosty calls someone stupid, the CridLOAF consortium donates twelve dollars to starving war orphans in Istanbul.

(Please ignore the fact there are no starving war orphans in Istanbul).

Filler said:
Calling someone stupid is hardly a good rebuttal.
Amazingly, I also wound up saying other stuff too, that just happened to be a good rebuttal. Weird.

. . . I cannot willingly force myself to believe something that's so glaringly packed with speculation and little solid evidence.

Well, it’s not exactly about having to “believe”. (For one thing, we’re dealing with fiction after all. For another, EA/Origin can always come along at any time and through a new WC game or book effectively reject any given explanation we’ve proposed.) It’s really more about puzzle-solving–finding an explanation that both fits into the known storyline and successfully “smooths over” the particular inconsistency. (A jigsaw puzzle is not a bad metaphor.) Perhaps Sherlock Holmes’ famous maxim evokes the right spirit: “[W]hen you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Back