Confederation Wound Medal

I've always wondered about that medal. I mean, wouldn't it be more prestigious NOT to have it?

It is prestigious to have ONE golden sun...
but repeatedly earning it is not a very good thing.

Yeah it's just for the first survival of an eject of a pilots career right? I always just picture all the hot shot pilots sitting around the the Claw making fun of all the "Golden Sun" achievers.

Hehe, I doubt that - given how frequently pilots were forced to eject, the situation you're describing would basically be a bunch of fresh-from-the-Academy newbies making fun of the experienced pilots that form the rest of the ship's wing.

Yeah it's just for the first survival of an eject of a pilots career right?

Correct.

As for something to laugh about, it seems to me that, if anything, it'd be more of a "been there, done that" badge. You don't get shot down flying a desk or a shuttle in some back-water system so far from the front lines you need to zoom out to the galactic scale on a map to see it.

Ah, so it's a "prestige through experience" thing. Gotcha.

Quarto: Is it well documented that Confed pilots ejected on a regular basis, or are you basing that solely on how your wingmen performed in the games?

Quarto: Is it well documented that Confed pilots ejected on a regular basis, or are you basing that solely on how your wingmen performed in the games?
Well, we see Blair ejecting time and again in the Academy cartoon, we regularly see our wingmen ejecting in WC games, we get several missions to rescue ejected pilots, we hear about human ejected pilots being used by the Kilrathi in ambushes... all in all, there seems to be a lot of ejecting going on. On top of this, Wing Commander is supposed to be WWII in space - and if you read any account of WWII aerial combat, you'll notice there's a great deal of bailing out in there.

(another small thing - people tend to get fairly close when they risk their lives for each other, so if your wingman ejects, you're likely to be far too relieved that he made it alive to laugh at him)

That makes sense. I was just wondering if you were referring to any specific documentation (in a book or something) stating high rates of ejection.

I agree with you, I was just wondering how you came to that conclusion.

Back