Confed/Kilrathi Ordnance

Lunatic

Spaceman
I was reading though my WCIII strategy guide (the origin one) and I noticed something with the fighters: Where the Heck are the missiles?!

what do you mean? WC3 ships have missile hardpoints but unlike WC1,2,and P they don;t have the missiles fixed you can choose your own, this I think is the greatest feature in 3 and 4

Yeah, being able to pick the missiles you wanted made things easier but when your given an ordinance, you have to think more which makes it interesting too.

Wow... but FFs and HSs are great... If you're willing to wait, the HSs give you that extra little bit of power... and FFs are great if you don't want to turn away from your current target to deal with someone attacking you.

TC

This may sound dumb to lots of people but in WCP my fav missle is the dumbfire. (Excluding the Swarmer. That thing's just not fair). The DF is tough to use, but damn it, it packs a punch.
As for the FF, thats just a silly missle. Is there's a guy on your tail turn around and beat him! Don't weiner out and fire off a FF and hope it goes your way. IR's are great too. Especially the alien enhanced ones.

I cant even rember when there WERE dumbfires in Prophecy beyond the rocket pods. But hey, if you can use em effectively, more power to you!

Yeah, there are dumb fires in Prophecy, and they're quite effective against the corvettes, and gun/missile turrets.

The Rockets pods are great though. I think of them as oversized stormfires.:)

I know there are:) i just couldnt remember which fighters had them. I think they werent on the bombers or the heavier ships like the Panther or Vampire.

Originally posted by TC
the HSs give you that extra little bit of power...

.... but I always thought the stats in WC4 (from the equip fighter screen) said the HS has a smaller warhead than the IR...? nuts ..... If their warheads are bigger then I'll definitely take more HS along. Most of the time I need to shoot a missile, I've already been on somebody's tail long enough to lock an HS anyway.

Originally posted by Earthworm
The Rockets pods are great though. I think of them as oversized stormfires.:)

The dragonflys are so much easier to use compared to DFs, though; they have proximity warheads, whereas dumbfires detonate on contact. Speaking of dumbfires, I can't seem to ever hit anything with them after WC1 : \ I miss blowing up the saucer-target Dralthis ...

"FORE!"

-pen

An IR is smart enough to locate a target and distinguish it from the others making it very hard to lose but all that technology takes up warhead space while a heat seeker just locks onto the heat signature from a fighters engines and follows that. Much less sophisticated technology and more room for warhead material.

I seldom used missiles in WC1/2 except on bombing runs.

I usually went for IRs in WC3/4.

Dumbfires are devastating on fighters if you're skilled/lucky enough to hit one. Dragonflys were okay, I guess. Mosquitoes were good for forcing the bugs to waste their decoys. ELRIRs were the best, but FFs are good on fighrers where an ELRIR/Artemis might be overkill. HS packs a good wallop too, but they lose lock very quickly on the manoeuvrable Nephlim fighters.

I was the same way in WC1/2

I usually used the dragonflys to kill skates and mantas, or to wear down Devil Rays. They were fun when i got mad too,just unleash volley after volley to annihilate a ship. They were good against Barracudas too now that i think about it.

Compared to Kilrathi corvettes, fodder was pretty much what they were. I dont even think i paid them much attention until everything else was taken care of. Or if they got in my way:)

Back