confed handbook

Madman

Vice Admiral
probably been commented on before, but in the confed handbook, it claims that admiral wilson ( i think its him, might be wrong) was born in 2498 yet the current year is 2654! thus our man is 156 years old typing error me thinks
btw with reference to the age old debate that the CS iason and the TCS iason are the same ship who was the tcs iason's captain?

lastly tiger claw = tigers claw who knows!

I is a typo, but there is nothing within the Wing Commander Universe that says it is. The time difference between WC and now allows for the existance of medical technology that would extend life expectancy. On top of that, we know of a guy who is at least 4 centuries old (IIRC), altough he cheated. In other words, Captain Andropolos could be and is 156 years-old by 2654.

You mean Admiral Wilson... anyway, methinks the age is left in from an earlier cut of the movie where older characters had 'crazy' ages because of travelling at the speed of light. Paladin originally says something about being really old, and it's what Maniac and Rosy are referring to when they talk about how 'by the time you return, everyone you know will be dead and gone'. But they dropped that concept from the final movie... and I think Paladin's age dialogue got cut between the 2nd and 3rd drafts.

phew i thought we were talking star trek dr mcoy ages here!

good thing they didnt add all the time travel stuff, anyway jump theory doesnt allow for that only light speed drives would, and the jump drive isnt its slower than light but in another dimension

how is the hopper drive supposed to work? the akwende is obvious but the hopper seems a little vague!

The Hopper drive bends space and gravity so you "hop" from one point to the next, without the use of jump points. The reason that Confed doesnt use it is because it is a hell of a lot slower than the jump drive. It would take several hops just to get to another solar system, and it takes like 18 hours for it to charge before each jump. The only practical hopper drive ever seen by Confed was on the TCS Olympia(Olympus?) when it's crew of Pilgrims mutineed and went on a terror campaign in Confed Space. IIRC it had a shorter charge time and allowed the ship to hop to any point in the target solar system in one hop, unlike the jump drive which can only come out at one specific point in a system, where the jump point is located. One con for the hopper is that it bends gravity so strongly that anything else in the area is destroyed almost like it was a black hole. That of course could be used as a weapon too.

For that reason the Exploratory Service use the Hopper Drive, for charting new systems (Why the tarsus doesn´t hace a Hopper drive )

Since we're on the subject of jumping, I got a question..... I was playing the SMs recently and several missions mention "mini-jumps"... where ships just "jump" from one place to another in the same system... how does that work? Is it just like the regular "system A to system B" jumps?

--Eder

Probably. Since there are often multiple jump points to multiply systems inside one system, a jump line within a system would seem possible.

I wish the ships in Privateer had this technology... all patrol missions would be easy rides if you could jump from one nav point to the next one, since autopilot only works when there aren't enemies near, and afterburning takes too long :D

--Eder

Mini-Jumping doesn't require any special technology -- mini-jump points are created by special anomalies (like the Enigma black hole), and thus only exist in certain places.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Mini-Jumping doesn't require any special technology -- mini-jump points are created by special anomalies (like the Enigma black hole), and thus only exist in certain places.

Oh, I get it now. Thanks for the explanation!

--Eder

Back