Confed + Borderworld vs Black Lance

The Fly

Spaceman
While reading the official Prophecy strategy guide I read last night that the Confederation and the Borderworlds combined forces after Tolwyn's capture, to defeat the Blacklance. Is there any information about this battle? Must have been hell of a fight...

They might have to hunt down and destroy what was left of the Black Lance. I somehow doubt that those people would have simply surrendered without a fight just because of losses. They're entirely too fanatical for that.

The black lance still had a massive fleet of fighter that could jump, flash paks, never ran out of fuel and could stay cloaked indefinently. I really have to wonder if confed managed to kill all of them. That would be a good idea for another WC game codfed is attacked by the remainder of the black lance fleet and suffers heavy losses kinda like pearl harbor and let's say only one or two fleet managed to surive the surprise attack. But with heavy losses and they somehow discover where the black lance attack came from and launch a series of counter-attacks and in the end you win. :)

sounds like a good game if you ask me.

Oh, they would run out fuel eventually. It would just take a while. Remeber, they could draw in hydrogen from the surrounding area, but not anti-hydrogen. However, to get around that, the logical response is a large fuel tank of anti-hydrogen combined with low fuel-draw.

Again, logically, they have to run out, but it probably takes a *long* time and the fighters most likely get anti-hydrogen refuelings on a regular basis.

As for capships using the same system, it strikes me as likely that they're handled like modern nuclear carriers. They have a 'deep' refueling during refits, but for the most part, they don't need 'regular' refuelings of anti-matter.

Fenris Ulven said:
hmm.. i dont see the need of a battel after tolwyns fall....

I'm not making this up... There really was a war between the confed+borderworld and the Black Lance after Tollwyns capture. It's written at the end of page 11 of the official (german) Wing Commander Prophecy strategy guide.

Als die beweismittel dem konfoderierten Senat unter der Leitung von James Taggard vorgelegt wurden, vereinigten sich die Konfoderation und die Grenzwelten zum gemeinsamen Schlag gegen die Black-Lance-Provokateure, wahrend sich Tolwyn in seiner Gefangniszelle erhangte.

Sorry for those that can't read german! :p

I'd love to have a mod in that era! Atleast we would get to fly some Bearcats and Dragons.

Drizzt Do Urden said:
But with heavy losses and they somehow discover where the black lance attack came from and launch a series of counter-attacks and in the end you win. :)

I think that Axius is the Black Lance HQ... It's the base where Blair flies to in his Dragon and discovers the identity of the BL leader. Can someone tell me in what system that base is?

The Fly said:
I think that Axius is the Black Lance HQ... It's the base where Blair flies to in his Dragon and discovers the identity of the BL leader. Can someone tell me in what system that base is?
The Axius base would be in the Axius system. ;)

C-ya

Last edited by a moderator:
That was really in the Prophecy manual? Could it not be in the Prophecy Gold manual cause that's the one I have and I don't recall reading about that.

It had tons of other good stuff in it though.

Shipgate said:
That was really in the Prophecy manual? Could it not be in the Prophecy Gold manual cause that's the one I have and I don't recall reading about that.

It had tons of other good stuff in it though.

The official strategy guide... you don't get it with WC. You have to buy it.

What the English version says is simply "When evidence of the Conspiracy was revealed to the Confederation Senate (chaired by Speaker James Taggart), the two states joined forces against the Black Lance provocateurs, while Tolwyn hung himsel in a prison cell."

That reminds me, were the manuals for the games going to be put online for us to view? I'm sure that's been asked but I don't recall for sure. I'd like to read the WC2 manual again. I don't even remember that one. The Prophecy gold one is great.

The worst of them all. I always was amazed how they got from the excellent Claw Marks to the WC2 manual. Was the game so expensive to develop that they stripped the manual down? I mean it's not like there wouldn't have been things to tell. But if they really cut the manual because the game was so pricey, in the case of WC2 it's ok in my eyes.

Eh, I don't think it was a cost issue. There's no significant cost difference between writing thirty pages of fiction telling you how to play the game and thirty pages of regular instructions.

(Still, given WC2s starting point, what would the manual be? Gwynedd: The Magazine? I guess the fictional problem is that most of the characters in WC2 are introduced as surprise reveals... so having a magazine that tells you Angel, Paladin, etc. are on your ship would spoil something.)

That's true but I thought more along of a time line for the events after WC2, an article about Blair's court martial (like that planned cutscene), some "Dear diary"-entries by Blair (perhaps mentioning that he wonders what has become of Angel/Paladin etc.... Ok, that would alreay give away that they survived...). Or again a description of Kilrathi aces.

And for the cost issue: maybe artists creating nicer ship pictures or any picture at all were too pricey. Those in Claw Marks were really nice.

Bah, no use in rumbling now. The game is extremely good so it's bearable that the manual isn't.

P.S.: Does "pricey" exist?

Point to ponder: The ending for WC4 where Hawk's morale is highest, Blair becomes an Admiral and sits in an office looking very ticked off, handing out orders. That's when Hawk delivered a report regarding a rebellion. Blair's response was to send in a carrier and to 'have the black lance run blanket recon'. This obviously does not coincide with the story about the conflict with the black lance. Which one is correct? Did I miss something?

Thanks for clearing that up. I like that ending better anyway. Is there any more info on that border worlds/confed - black lance conflict around here??

Back