Confed and before!

I think he wants to know which source states Confed still exists in 2789...

Probably Privateer 2?

Spanish word for source is "fuente", IIRC, I think he just got confused seeing as how he's spanish.

Correct, I am Spanish. Sorry about the confusion.

Always I believed that Privateer 2 was not inside of the Wing Commander canon...

It is, but it's set in the far future. Someone else will have to tell you how far as I can't find my game guide anywhere.

Hmmm, I don't know much about Privateer 2, but the Tri-System appears to be isolated from the rest of the universe. So the ships and fractions probably evolved differently than the rest of the uniserve, sorta like Darwin's island.

Edit: Thanks to Bandit LOAF for the confirmation.

From Origin's FAQ:

Does Privateer 2: The Darkening take place in the Wing Commander Universe?
Privateer 2: The Darkening takes place in an isolated section of the Wing Commander universe. The Tri-System is not currently a part of the Confederation.

Privateer 2 is the only wing commander game that I have never played and I was wondering does the confederation actually appear in this game? If it doesn't then it must feel like something is missing with both no kilrathi and no confederation.

Well, The Tri system is so isolated that it has nothing to do with confed, kilrathi, Steltek, Mopoks (the only trully great race in WCU), Firekans, Hari, Mantu, Nephilim...
The Tri system is to the rest of WCU as the aztecs were to the chinese. or the Eskimos to the Hindu peoples. They both exist in the same planet, but they have no relations at all.

Don’t forget about the “unknown ship” though. Imagine all the possible story lines that could flow out of that, including the fact of past or present contact.

Actually I was at EA/OSI at the time and had just spent about 2 months in Manchester working on the game.. when its was just "The Darkening."
(but it still had the Talon "sub plot")

After I got back to the states, some EA marketing gengenio decided "Well.. its space combat.. its trading.. we can call it Privateer.."

I was less than enthused to say the least.

In response to a company (EA) wide email annoucing the re-branding of "The Darkening" as "Priv2".. I replied (to the EA WORLD e-mail addy) "BULLSHIT!!" in 64point, red, bold faced font.. and proceed to express my thoughts on the matter.. not realzing that I had hit "Reply All"..

Anyway.. like I said.. I almost got fired..

:)

-J

Yep, no matter how much I read about the alleged connection between the WC Universe and the Priv 2 Universe, I still don't buy it. Especially after seeing the "The Darkening" add in my WC IV edition, without any reference to Wing Commander.

In response to a company (EA) wide email annoucing the re-branding of "The Darkening" as "Priv2".. I replied (to the EA WORLD e-mail addy) "BULLSHIT!!" in 64point, red, bold faced font.. and proceed to express my thoughts on the matter.. not realzing that I had hit "Reply All"..

My computer has 512 shades of red!

That's hilarious, though. Is that why you didn't get credited?

(And what did the Origin guys who *were* credited do? I see a bunch of really smart Wing Commander veterans credited with erratta type stuff... asommers, Billy Cain, J. Allen Brack, the guy who runs Ultima Online now...)

Thoughts on PrivDark, eight years later: On one hand, the style and the art design is absolutely amazing. It's weird, it's atmospheric, it does a really incredible job of creating this universe... and the FMV is amazingly well done and really unique.

On the other hand, the game is horribly unbalanced in really, really big ways. There's all sorts of huge, game-breaking elements... and it's things that should have been really obvious and really easy to fix (and by all rights should have simply been copied from the original Privateer). I don't understand how they managed to design three hundred individual missions, but never figure out that the game needed a reputation system. And didn't someone try to play the game and realize that the game falls apart simply because you can't jump out when there are enemy targets around?

I'm not a game developer, so maybe there's a bigger picture that I'm not seeing -- but from where I'm sitting, just the ability to jump away from random encounters would have made the game fun instead of really tedious.

Yep, no matter how much I read about the alleged connection between the WC Universe and the Priv 2 Universe, I still don't buy it. Especially after seeing the "The Darkening" add in my WC IV edition, without any reference to Wing Commander.

Hmm, didn't it start out development as 'Privateer: The Darkening'... and then become 'The Darkening'... and then 'Privateer 2: The Darkening'? It's really only that last change that's terrible... the idea that it was a privateer spinoff of some sort seems great -- another story about another privateer.

(Conversely, I can't see selling it the other way around, as just "The Darkening" -- here's another game from Erin Roberts that's about a space pilot who has to make money to upgrade his ship and he chooses missions and makes alliances and fights pirates and ships cargo... but it's not Privateer!)

LOAF said:
. . .but from where I'm sitting, just the ability to jump away from random encounters would have made the game fun instead of really tedious.

I’ll second that!:)

Shooter said:
Yep, no matter how much I read about the alleged connection between the WC Universe and the Priv 2 Universe, I still don't buy it.

I’ve never really understood this sentiment. I mean, it’s just too easy to be dismissive of EA’s statement that the Tri-System is in fact part of the WC universe. After all, nothing’s really at stake regarding the established story lines for the other WC games. But what if EA comes to make a new game that involves both the Tri-System and the Confederation we know and love? Will those who now say they “don’t buy it” say the same thing then? I tend to think not. And if that’s true, then it’s a bit silly to be a naysayer now.

Capn Johnny said:
Actually I was at EA/OSI at the time and had just spent about 2 months in Manchester working on the game.. when its was just "The Darkening."
(but it still had the Talon "sub plot")

After I got back to the states, some EA marketing gengenio decided "Well.. its space combat.. its trading.. we can call it Privateer.."

I was less than enthused to say the least.

Anyway.. like I said.. I almost got fired..

:)

-J

HAHA!!! That's has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard! That sounds something I would do (the reply to all thing...it's happened before, fortunately I didn't say anything stupid ;) ). That's just fantastic. As for Priv 2...I loved it, I thought it was a fantastic game. Whether it should have been called Privateer 2...well, no I think I'd be "less than enthusiastic" as well. However, as a game, I thought the atmosphere it created was just tremendous. (Gameplay had weak spots as pointed out by Loaf...but I got past those).

Back