Coneburst and Starburst

Originally posted by Sonntag
(...) but is there really any reason to use the FF?
(...)

I found a (hypothetical) situation where you could use the FF rather than the IR: When you have damaged a Skate/Stingray/Lamprey, so that the use of an IR would be a waste. Of course when you already damaged this ship you probably want to finish it with your guns anyway but still, this could be a situation. Or when you are hot on the tail of a Moray/Manta that is damaged to moderate extent (no rear armour), then a IR would be overkill, so just use the FF.
And of course when you run out of IR you would use FFs. ;)

Originally posted by mpanty
Originally posted by RFBurns
No missile is good when your wingmen continuously fly into the missles path!!
You are a very unlucky wingleader, RFBurns... ;)

Hehe! Actually its sort of a good thing, so that way they get trashed so I can get all the kills!! :D

RFBurns

Originally posted by RFBurns
Hehe! Actually its sort of a good thing, so that way they get trashed so I can get all the kills!! :D
An "unlucky" wingleader, and apparently "not very good" too... :p

I use FOFs all the time... my strategy when I'm chasing a fighter is to shoot down their rear shields, then fire an FOF. Kills them every time. Works just as well with IRs. I've never used the Coneburst missile though...

But back to the point, missles are no good when your wing blindly flies into them. And no amount of wing leadership would change that even if you told them to just hang back and enjoy the show! Actually I prefer no wingmen at all. They just get in the way, or flop around beggin for help! I never said I was an expert wingleader!

RFBurns

[Edited by RFBurns on 03-28-2001 at 17:45]

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I found a (hypothetical) situation where you could use the FF rather than the IR: when you have damaged a Skate/Stingray/Lamprey, so that the use of an IR would be a waste.
Actually, I suppose I do use missiles a bit in WCP. Since Skates and Stingrays don't have decoys, using an FF on one of them heavily damages/destroys them most of the time. IRs on such ships are definitely overkill. Especially when you buy the premium Artemeis brand. :)

A nice use for missiles in WC1: Knock down a Jalthi's rear shields and maybe another salvo of guns. Then fire any missile at its engines. BOOM!

Interesting though, this tactic doesn't work with a Krant or Gratha (at least from what I have experienced ;)).

Hmm, I found missiles in WC1 as bad as missiles in Priv. They were all slow realtive to the fighters' afterburn speed.

True, but when you manage to hit a Salthi or a Dralthi with a Dumbfire ... BOOOOOM, nice colours... :)

Yeah, well, managed that a couple of times, but then gave up on it. Accuracy with guns is much more time effective. :)

Well, considering you have two Dumbfires in each Hornet and Rapier missile loadout (along with one in the Scimitar), and considering you cannot change it, it would be a waste *not* to use those missiles...

And also considering that the Hornet has not much firepower, you're pretty happy when your Dumbfires hit... :)

Two in the Scimitar, along with 3 heaters. Speaking of the good old Scimitar, I thought that her missile compliment really made her into a real fighter. The Scimitar is my favorite "unpopular" fighter. Almost always make it back in one of those, can't say that about a Rapier.

Weird... Scimitars are SO SLOW compared to Rapiers... they have a worse armor and are less maneouvrable...
And the Rapier has better firepower...

It's just psychological, Hobbie... ;):p

And Sonntag: Of course the IR is the best missile in WC, I think nobody denies that. I have some nostalgic feeling towards the HS though and the DF comes in handy sometimes.
But the Coneburst ? <shudder> ... But okay, if you can handle it, it might be even useful. <g>

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-28-2001 at 13:46]
Yes I always thinkt about my first WC1 mission when thinking about the HS. In Wing 1 I even found it useful, as did I when I used it on the Lance (I had to). Sometimes it even hits its target!!!
Well, this may sound strange, but I always liked the coneburst, I found it very useful against Dragons and especially Seether. I never used the Starburst, however.

I never got the Mace in Wing 4, unfortunately. How do you get it? Do I have to capture the Concordia Class Capship, or what shall I do?

True, but when you manage to hit a Salthi or a Dralthi with a Dumbfire ... BOOOOOM, nice colours... :)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have it on good authority it takes 7 laser bolts or 1.4 dumbfire missiles to destroy the Dralthi....

Or maybe I was dreaming....

Originally posted by redwolf

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I have it on good authority it takes 7 laser bolts or 1.4 dumbfire missiles to destroy the Dralthi....

Or maybe I was dreaming....

Are you a Cat-Lover?

Originally posted by Wedge009
I found a (hypothetical) situation where you could use the FF rather than the IR: when you have damaged a Skate/Stingray/Lamprey, so that the use of an IR would be a waste.
Actually, I suppose I do use missiles a bit in WCP. Since Skates and Stingrays don't have decoys, using an FF on one of them heavily damages/destroys them most of the time. IRs on such ships are definitely overkill. Especially when you buy the premium Artemeis brand. :)

I don't know, I use Artemis on them quite often, especially on Stingrays. Since Stingrays cluster themselves quite often at a long distance, so I fire an Artemis on every I can target and can be sure that I won't need to bother wth them anymore. In the SOPS missions where you have to achieve 75% of the kills, I launch at the start of the navpoint my Artemis at every ship that has no decoys, ensuring that I can fight the harder ones (Mantas/DevilRays) without having to fear that I won't get the 75%, because my wingmen snatch all the easy ones.

And Dekkar: the DF is great but the Mace in Wc4 is just useless, in WC2 though it is a nice toy.

Originally posted by Sonntag
Yes I always thinkt about my first WC1 mission when thinking about the HS. In Wing 1 I even found it useful, as did I when I used it on the Lance (I had to). Sometimes it even hits its target!!!
Well, this may sound strange, but I always liked the coneburst, I found it very useful against Dragons and especially Seether. I never used the Starburst, however.

I never got the Mace in Wing 4, unfortunately. How do you get it? Do I have to capture the Concordia Class Capship, or what shall I do?

Yupp, you have to capture the Princeton or whatever she is called in one of the Speradon missions. I never used the Mace though but I heard nothing good about it...

Back