Coneburst and Starburst

Compared to the heat seekers and im-rec in wcp and so, the dumbfire is a lot stronger. Take the shields out of a barracude, fire on of those and you eat away a lot of armor. More fun when your target holds still, turns towards you, and you fire a dumbfire... boom !!! and up he/she/it goes

Yeah, as long as their not firing their guns at you! Then its just a very costly (both money and tactical) firework display!

But as they always use the same tactic on you (fly straight oy ou, fire, turn in front of you and come back) there is a point where you can fire your missile at it while it is turning. BTW when I fired the DF I made a turn myself to avoid his incoming fire. ;)

MONEY ???

Just fire damn the missle, it's gonne blow up anyhow. And if it blows near the bug, it's still gonna get a puch. Most of the time the bugs will stop shooting 'cos they can't see you. Keep shooting then, or fire a second df...

A very short one. Only when the missile explodes near to you or the enemy. That's wat was great in Freespace. When a capship blew up, you had to make sure you were out of the blast range otherwise you got damage, you even got killed sometime when you go to close !

Ice: a simple lesson from Homer J.

<Homer> awww $20, but I wanted a peanut!!!
<Brain> $20 dollars can buy MANY peanuts.
<Homer> explain how
<Brain> money, can be exchanged for goods and services
<Homer> WOOHOO!

I believe we can all learn something from this. Missiles don't grow on trees, they are purchased, using, MONEY! :D

In WCIV we just stole all our missiles, because we were the noble Border Worlds...

Missile Blast Radius is 50 meters in WC.

Just to repeat my former question: Is the mace in WC4 also a nuclear weapon? Until now I only got one answer which said yes but I find it hard to believe because if it was a nuke why bothering having the Flash-Pak?

The mace is a nuclear weapon -- but *lots* of WC weapons are nuclear... the particle cannon, for instance.

The flashpack *isn't* a nuclear weapon... it heats up the hull of a warship until the atmosphere ignites: a guaranteed kill -- with the advanced shielding and all, ships can survive nuclear blasts.

Originally posted by redwolf
Ice: a simple lesson from Homer J.

<Homer> awww $20, but I wanted a peanut!!!
<Brain> $20 dollars can buy MANY peanuts.
<Homer> explain how
<Brain> money, can be exchanged for goods and services
<Homer> WOOHOO!

I believe we can all learn something from this. Missiles don't grow on trees, they are purchased, using, MONEY! :D

You got to be kidding me... I don't care how expensive they are. It's a game man, wake up !!! Why would they gives those things if they cost so much ? Squadron Commander: "You may engage and kill the enemy, but don't fire on or kill the enemy with missiles ! Their to expensive. We use them only to impress the enemy with the expensive missiles we have."

Originally posted by iCe

You got to be kidding me... I don't care how expensive they are. It's a game man, wake up !!! Why would they gives those things if they cost so much ? Squadron Commander: "You may engage and kill the enemy, but don't fire on or kill the enemy with missiles ! Their to expensive. We use them only to impress the enemy with the expensive missiles we have."

Except in Privateer, where you buy your own :). But I
agree. I get no points for bringing missiles home, so
I try to use 'em all.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by iCe
Actually, this is not completely unheard of. For example, the AIM-54 Phoenix missile carried exclusively by the F-14 Tomcat is rather expensive -- about one million dollars per shot, and that was circa 1980. The full 6-missile shot done in the 70's still ranks (I believe) as the single most expensive air-to-air missile test.

Therefore, Tomcats rarely carried/carry a full load (the standard loadout for years was 2-2-2 configuration of Phoenix, Sparrow, and Sidewinder types), and often carry none at all. Additionally, Tomcat drivers are urged to use the missile only in extreme circumstances (should the need ever arise).

I've got to agree with Wedge.

As for missiles -- during wartime it was a non issue... but read the first bit of the WCIV novel to see that post-war Confed is very cost-conscious <G>

Back